• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Faith...

What are the benefits of faith?

I think faithfulness means person is loyal to God. And those who are loyal to God and love Him, keep His commandments and for them God shows loving kindness. I think that is the benefit of being faithful. :)

you shall not bow yourself down to them, nor serve them, for I, Yahweh your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children, on the third and on the fourth generation of those who hate me, and showing loving kindness to thousands of those who love me and keep my commandments.
Ex. 20:5-6

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
What are the benefits of faith?
Faith benefits are for those with Faith only

You identify as "scientism" (I had to google that). So, if you have Faith (belief) in science, you get "Science Faith benefits"

I guess you already know what these benefits are, due to the words "excessive belief..." in your chosen "Religion" on RF

So, I guess you mean "God Faith" in the OP

"excessive belief" implies dogmatic to me, not really open, why do you want to know about "God Faith benefits", I am just wondering? Doubts about Scientism?

scientism
  1. thought or expression regarded as characteristic of scientists.
    • excessive belief in the power of scientific knowledge and techniques.

RestlessSoul

All men and women of faith have courage.

Faith is the conviction that the universe, despite all evidence to the contrary, is not a hostile place; and that life, far from being a hapless accident, aimlessly rushing nowhere, signifying nothing, is a thing of meaning and wonder and purpose.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Personal benefit of faith is to soften the burden of difficulties in everyday life.
edit:
Another benefit is to soften fear of death.
We need to understand that difficulties will always be there. God or no God. And why should we have fear of death. It happened to all our forebears. It will happen to us and those to come after us. It is the way of the world. Old goes, new comes.

paradox

(㇏(•̀ᵥᵥ•́)ノ)
We need to understand that difficulties will always be there. God or no God.
Yes they will, but in difficult times believer can turn to god who tells him his suffering has purpose and reason, while non believer needs to face the reality in full pain.

And why should we have fear of death. It happened to all our forebears. It will happen to us and those to come after us. It is the way of the world. Old goes, new comes.
There are 2 components of that fear:
1. knowing that you'll cease to exist which in turn draws regret for not doing more in your life and not enjoying life, the older person becomes the stronger these feelings are.
Dying people all feel that regret, you can search for experiences of those working in palliative care, and you'll see what people think when dying, in extreme cases it can lead to agony (ex. if person is dying a lone).

2. The possibility of pain while dying (ex. not being able to eat leading to starvation) is what people also fear, especially those who saw people dying in such or similar circumstances, they fear to end up likewise or worse.

religion softens both of these issues, it's easier to bear the burden of dying when one has hope and answers to why we need to suffer.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Yes they will, but in difficult times believer can turn to god who tells him his suffering has purpose and reason, while non believer needs to face the reality in full pain.

There are 2 components of that fear:
1. knowing that you'll cease to exist which in turn draws regret for not doing more in your life and not enjoying life, the older person becomes the stronger these feelings are.
Dying people all feel that regret, you can search for experiences of those working in palliative care, and you'll see what people think when dying, in extreme cases it can lead to agony (ex. if person is dying a lone).

2. The possibility of pain while dying (ex. not being able to eat leading to starvation) is what people also fear, especially those who saw people dying in such or similar circumstances, they fear to end up likewise or worse.

Religion softens both of these issues, it's easier to bear the burden of dying when one has hope and answers to why we need to suffer.
The believer's pain also is no less. Is a knife attack is different for a beliver and a non-believer?
1. It need not be. In my time, I have done what I could. Why not be satisfied with that? Yeah, foolish feelings lead to misery.
2. How would that help? It is a matter of chance whether I die of a quick heart attack or a prolonged illness with cancer.
If it is a hope then it is a false hope.

RestlessSoul

The believer's pain also is no less. Is a knife attack is different for a beliver and a non-believer?
1. It need not be. In my time, I have done what I could. Why not be satisfied with that? Yeah, foolish feelings lead to misery.
2. How would that help? It is a matter of chance whether I die of a quick heart attack or a prolonged illness with cancer.
If it is a hope then it is a false hope.

Hope is never false. Hope springs eternal in the human breast.

paradox

(㇏(•̀ᵥᵥ•́)ノ)
physical pain is same, but overcoming pain is something different.

One example, hearing a really funny joke while experiencing pain, you will laugh at least a little no matter what, while laughing pain is less.
If you're not told a joke you'll feel full pain.

belief in god is similar although not as effective.

RestlessSoul

One example, hearing a really funny joke while experiencing pain, you will laugh at least a little no matter what, while laughing pain is less.
If you're not told a joke you'll feel full pain.

belief in god is similar although not as effective.

Is that Bill Nighy in your avatar? Top bloke, Bill, absolute gent.

RestlessSoul

Have you seen The Boat That Rocked? It's a cracker and Mr Nighy is his usual cool self.

Yeah, enjoyed that movie.

Bill was brilliant in Sean of the Dead, I thought. Got turned down for Dr Who once, can you believe? Beaten to the role by the excellent Christopher Ecclestone though.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Hope is never false. Hope springs eternal in the human breast.
Eternal life surely is a false hope (whichever be the religion), unless you are talking about the molecules of our body. They are sure, eternal (as far as we know)
.. belief in god is similar although not as effective.
Harden yourself, try to understand pain or sorrow clearly, that will be just as effective. Yeah, belief in god is .. not as effective. :D

Last edited: