• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Faith

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Without free will - no love.
I am out of all those complications, no God, no soul, no heaven, no hell, no salvation, no end of days. Free will is a miarage, we are guided by our bringing up, education, experiences and situations. I do not need any God's love. My wife is OK for that. Yet what constitutes me is eternal.

PearlSeeker

I am out of all those complications, no God, no soul, no heaven, no hell, no salvation, no end of days. Free will is a miarage, we are guided by our bringing up, education, experiences and situations. I do not need any God's love. My wife is OK for that. Yet what constitutes me is eternal.
Even love in marriage is not possible without free will...

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Faith, trust, and belief are almost the same. Often people have to earn faith or trust.

Almost everyone (including atheists) have faith. They have faith that their spouses won't cheat on them. They have faith that a car won't run a red light and kill them.

Those without faith would fear everyone and lock themselves in their bedrooms and never come out.

The bible says that we shouldn't make war, and should help the homeless, sick, and hungry. It is easy to have faith that this lifestyle is the best. Not everyone has faith that there is a God, but everyone can have faith that kindness and peace is preferable.

Atheists don't believe in God (by definition). If they believed in God, they'd also have to believe in leprechauns, tooth fairies, and all other things (there are an infinite number of things to believe). They demand proof before they believe.

This doesn't diminish faith in the precepts of the religion. How can one reject niceness and kindness?

Is there any significant difference between having Trust and...

What is the difference between faith and trust? | GotQuestions.org

Faith is something to be hoped for.
Faith, in the epistemic sense, is not trust.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I find the Bible's definition of Faith has to do with having ' trust and confidence ' in the teachings of Jesus.
In other words, Not 'credulity' (blind faith) but by researching the logical reasoning that Jesus used in reference to proving how the old Hebrew Scriptures applies and how he explained or expounded them for us.
Explain his "logical reasoning." I don't see where logic would apply.
In a serious, philosophic discussion such as we have here, though, mere statements of objectively unsupported beliefs can not advance the discussion. Epistemically, faith is unsupported or ill founded belief.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Because we have free-will choice is why God allows 'such a state to happen'.
God forces No one to obey Him.
Also, it was sinner Satan who challenged God's Sovereignty at Job 2:4-5.
Sinner Satan challenges Not only Job but includes the rest of us.
'Touch our 'flesh'...( loose physical health) and we would Not serve God.
Under adverse conditions both Job and Jesus proved Satan a liar and so can we.
The passing of time since Eden has allowed for us to be born and think who we would like as Sovereign over us.
Once we have reached the point of Matthew 24:14 that the 'good news of God's Kingdom' (Daniel 2:44) is accomplished or spread on an international scale as it is being done today, then, God's allowing of such a state will come to a happy climax in that there will be ' healing for earth's nations' as mentioned at Revelation 22:2.
Healing to the point that No one will say, " I am sick..." according to Isaiah 33:24.
Healthy conditions will be as described in Isaiah 35th chapter.
Why cite insupportable passages from an ancient anthology of folklore, as if it were authoritative? Such a citation is empirical evidence. I could cite the Popol Vuh or Tolkien's Silmarillion just as authoritatively.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Hope, faith and knowledge are not separated. For example: how can you have faith if you don't have hope?
Another example: I know Earth's diameter is 12.742 km because I believe this info I have read is true.
Hope for what? I may have faith that a volcano will erupt, or a hurricane will sweep over me, based on hard, scientific evidence. That doesn't mean I hope it will erupt or sweep over me.
Thus, I have faith but not hope.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I was not really trying to prove anything, just giving an opinion, an opinion from as someone who has accepted the offer and believes in the offerer.
Cool! -- but I'm interested in why you believe there is an offerer or offering?

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Explain his "logical reasoning." I don't see where logic would apply.In a serious, philosophic discussion such as we have here, though, mere statements of objectively unsupported beliefs can not advance the discussion. Epistemically, faith is unsupported or ill founded belief.

By Jesus referring and answering was by his logical reasoning on the old Hebrew Scriptures.
In other words, when Jesus replied, " It is written..." he was referring back to the old Hebrew Scripture teachings.
Jesus logically and reasonably explained or expounded those old Scriptures for us.
Jesus 'faith', his belief was supported by what was already recorded in the old Hebrew Scriptures.
To Jesus the OT was supported and well-founded belief on which to base his teachings.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Hope for what? I may have faith that a volcano will erupt, or a hurricane will sweep over me, based on hard, scientific evidence. That doesn't mean I hope it will erupt or sweep over me. Thus, I have faith but not hope.
Faith (or trust/confidence) that a volcano will erupt, etc. is based on scientific evidence.
Whereas, HOPE which is Bible-based HOPE is based on biblical evidence / Scripture.
As to 'HOPE for what' is mentioned at Hebrews 11. It is seeing with the mind's eye that what is Not yet literally seen.
Seeing the vivid-word picture about the coming future as described at Isaiah 35th chapter.
Seeing that there will be 'healing for earth's nations' as described at Revelation 22:2; Isaiah 33:24.
Biblical faith (trust / confidence in Scripture) is the HOPE of why we are all invited to pray the invitation of Rev. 22:20 for Jesus to come !
Come and undo all the harm sinners Satan and Adam brought upon humanity.
Thus, I have both: faith (confidence/ trust) and HOPE. HOPE of seeing 1 Corinthians 15:24-26 come to pass.
H old
O n
P ain
E nds

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Why cite insupportable passages from an ancient anthology of folklore, as if it were authoritative? Such a citation is empirical evidence. I could cite the Popol Vuh or Tolkien's Silmarillion just as authoritatively.
Yes, we can cite Tolkien, etc, as authority but Jesus only cited the old Hebrew Scriptures as Authority.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Of course, the basic question is what made God create the universe? Why he gave free will to people is another surprise? To create mayhem, sorrow and pain?
To me the basic answer as to what made God create (the invisible then visible realm ) is: LOVE, for God "IS" Love.
God forces nor makes anyone to worship Him.
Noah and family did Not create or make the mayhem, sorrow and pain (violence) surrounding them.
Evil men chose the evil.
God created Earth for righteous people. If God had Not acted righteous Noah and family would have been killed off.
The passing of time was still needed for us to be born and think who we would like as Sovereign over us.
Otherwise, we simply would Not be here and have the opportunity for everlasting life.
Love for us is why God sent pre-human heavenly Jesus to Earth for us, to undo all the damage here.
This is why we are all welcome to pray the invitation of Rev. 22:20 for Jesus to come !
Come and bring ' healing for earth's nations ' as promised at Revelation 22:2; Isaiah 33:24; 1 Corinthians 15:24-26

PearlSeeker

Hope for what? I may have faith that a volcano will erupt, or a hurricane will sweep over me, based on hard, scientific evidence. That doesn't mean I hope it will erupt or sweep over me.
Thus, I have faith but not hope.
You have hope it won't erupt or sweep over you.

Brian2

Veteran Member
Cool! -- but I'm interested in why you believe there is an offerer or offering?

Why do I believe there is and offerer or offering? That is faith. Not blind faith but faith which is reasonable to me and which I see evidence in my life to support it.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
You have hope it won't erupt or sweep over you.
Just a thought, I wonder if 'erupt or sweep over' is more like being concerned about than hope _________
If I was driving in my car to a friend's house I have the 'hope' of seeing my friend upon arrival, but Not concern.