• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Faith Without Works

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
in the gospel of james, james said faith without works was basically dead.

if this is true, then if belief without questioning(doubting thomas) also of no life giving benefit?

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
The truth is kind of like gold. I can sell you a 10 grand gold watch, but you don't know it's really gold until you take it to a jeweler and have that checked by an expert in the field rather than ol' Jimmy down at the pawn shop down the street.

Everyone wants to sell you something, too... When it boils down to it, if someone wants to sell you some "gold," but they tell you it can't be evaluated by an expert, then I'd get reeeaaaal suspicious.

Gold is gold, and truth is truth. It's not always self evident, but it is always testable. If it's not, then I don't want to buy it until it is...

Thief

Rogue Theologian
also written and to be considered......
and the Lord said .....many will say to Me....Lord!......Lord!
and I will say in return....Get thee back!
I know you not!

there are many who do good things.....even in the Name of the Lord
and He knows them......not

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
if this is true, then if belief without questioning(doubting thomas) also of no life giving benefit?

The sufi Abu Sa’id Ibn Abi’l Khayr said (using faith as "unquestioned faith" and belief as "coming from deep internal seeking for truth":

To those who seek truth in conventionalized religion:
Until college and minaret have crumbled
this holy work of ours will not be done.
Until faith becomes rejection
And rejection becomes belief
There will be no true believer.

halbhh

The wonder and awe of "all things".

The question about Thomas: no. Thomas is simply a type of personality or temperament. Graciously the Lord made a way for him, but pointed out that anyone is blessed to believe without such proof. And further, it was for Thomas a junction in the road, where there is an unconditional instruction given also: John 20:27 Then Jesus said to Thomas, "Put your finger here and look at My hands. Reach out your hand and put it into My side. Stop doubting and believe." So, Thomas was given that help, but also required to rise to a higher level of mind. (i.e., if Thomas then continued to doubt and not believe,that would not be acceptable after that point)

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
The question about Thomas: no. Thomas is simply a type of personality or temperament. Graciously the Lord made a way for him, but pointed out that anyone is blessed to believe without such proof. And further, it was for Thomas a junction in the road, where there is an unconditional instruction given also: John 20:27 Then Jesus said to Thomas, "Put your finger here and look at My hands. Reach out your hand and put it into My side. Stop doubting and believe." So, Thomas was given that help, but also required to rise to a higher level of mind. (i.e., if Thomas then continued to doubt and not believe,that would not be acceptable after that point)

so its better to believe in jesus and never put the beliefs into practice than to take the faith/belief and put it into works?

Matthew 7:24

Luke 6:47

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
As I said in a different topic, people are judged for their behavior, not their beliefs.

Glad to see the Bible supports me in this.:D

How can one expect to benefit from thoughts that are never put into action?