• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Faith is not evidence. This is why atheism has more of an advantage.

Berlin

Not one shred of proof has been shown that proves the existence of God. People only know what they've been told and shown in a book. Science has testable evidence that is in your face daily. For me, following science makes sense.

Thank about it - most of us believed in Santa Claus with the same passion as a deity until we knew better. I used to listen for the sled and hooves landing on my roof or a very fat man squeezing down my chimney. I believed it because it's what I was told for several years. I don't see any difference in religion.

Last, if you believe in the Bible, you must believe every text in it literally. There is no room for riddles or interpretations. We know there are things in this world that are physically impossible. Just because it's in the bible, doesn't mean a miracle allowed an incident to negate physics. A man lived in the belly of a big fish for 3 days, Moses parting the red sea, Noah being able to squeeze 2 of every animal species on to a boat (which means he was able to feed, remove all feces, keep them from eating/fighting each other for the entire journey)? This is physically impossible. Two of every species of animal would not fit into the ark mentioned in the Bible.

Please join this discussion and explain your views.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I don't read the creation story like most people
so....non-believers have no edge on me

Thief

Rogue Theologian
What's your unique way of reading the creation story? I would think you would say creation "fact" instead of story.
(last I heard).....it's against the rules here to express 'my belief'......as 'fact'

but yeah....Day Six is evolution
male and female....go forth, be fruitful, multiply, dominate all things
no names
no garden
no law
Man as a species

Day Seven.....God rests and no more will be created

THEN chapter Two.....which NOT a retelling of chapter One

Adam is a CHOSEN son of God (see new testament)
the garden is a petri dish....so to speak

Adam was not the first man to walk this earth
he was the first to walk with God

and to extend the alteration .....a cloned mate
Eve was not born of woman....no navel
and she likely resembled Adam
Adam was given his twin sister for a bride.

an alteration of body and mind in play

and to be sure the alteration took hold.....a test
making sure that Man would be that creature ....curious for knowledge
even as death is pending

the test was positive
the specimens were released into the environment
the garden had served it's purpose and was dismantled

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Not one shred of proof has been shown that proves the existence of God. People only know what they've been told and shown in a book. Science has testable evidence that is in your face daily. For me, following science makes sense.

Thank about it - most of us believed in Santa Claus with the same passion as a deity until we knew better. I used to listen for the sled and hooves landing on my roof or a very fat man squeezing down my chimney. I believed it because it's what I was told for several years. I don't see any difference in religion.

Last, if you believe in the Bible, you must believe every text in it literally. There is no room for riddles or interpretations. We know there are things in this world that are physically impossible. Just because it's in the bible, doesn't mean a miracle allowed an incident to negate physics. A man lived in the belly of a big fish for 3 days, Moses parting the red sea, Noah being able to squeeze 2 of every animal species on to a boat (which means he was able to feed, remove all feces, keep them from eating/fighting each other for the entire journey)? This is physically impossible. Two of every species of animal would not fit into the ark mentioned in the Bible.

Thanks.

I just don't think there is any upside to viewing belief in the existence of god as a goal as opposed to an accident of aesthetical perception.

Theism is only advantageous over atheism in the sense that it motivates people. But the downsides are many and severe. It is just not something worth pursuing.

Still, I think apatheism is far superior to either theism or atheism.

Berlin

I don't read the creation story like most people
so....non-believers have no edge on me
What's your unique way of reading the creation story? I would think you would say creation "fact" instead of story.
(last I heard).....it's against the rules here to express 'my belief'......as 'fact'

but yeah....Day Six is evolution
male and female....go forth, be fruitful, multiply, dominate all things
no names
no garden
no law
Man as a species

Day Seven.....God rests and no more will be created

THEN chapter Two.....which NOT a retelling of chapter One

Adam is a CHOSEN son of God (see new testament)
the garden is a petri dish....so to speak

Adam was not the first man to walk this earth
he was the first to walk with God

and to extend the alteration .....a cloned mate
Eve was not born of woman....no navel
and she likely resembled Adam
Adam was given his twin sister for a bride.

an alteration of body and mind in play

and to be sure the alteration took hold.....a test
making sure that Man would be that creature ....curious for knowledge
even as death is pending

the test was positive
the specimens were released into the environment
the garden had served it's purpose and was dismantled
So do you believe God is black or white? Not to start any racial debate. This a question that must be asked, because if many believe God is white, then there is the possibility that he has racists tendencies. I believe evolution is much richer, makes more sense, and will eventually be proved fully. Some scientists believe they are very close to solving the mystery.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member

Fair enough, but it's simply not accurate to state there's "not one shred of proof" for God (aka, the one-god of the Abrahamic religions), much less other types of gods.

If you don't see the difference - and particularly since you're conflating religion and theism here - you need to study more about both.

Last, if you believe in the Bible, you must believe every text in it literally.

No, you don't. Study a bit more about religions and theisms. Most of what you write here is untenable with a fairly basic knowledge of world religion and theology.

Berlin

Fair enough, but it's simply not accurate to state there's "not one shred of proof" for God (aka, the one-god of the Abrahamic religions), much less other types of gods.

If you don't see the difference - and particularly since you're conflating religion and theism here - you need to study more about both.

No, you don't. Study a bit more about religions and theisms. Most of what you write here is untenable with a fairly basic knowledge of world religion and theology.
I still believe science has a much stronger argument than religion. The evidence science has shown far outweighs writings in a book and the interpretations of humans who have read that book. After watching Benny Hinn and his smite jacket, the entertainment in religion has gone to new levels.

JoshuaTree

Flowers are red?
You don't believe in God because you can't believe in God until God gifts you with the faith to do so. Frustrating I'm sure, but everything according to God's perfect plan.

You can no more choose to believe in God than you can choose to change your mind and believe as I do if only for a moment so that I can share with you what Faith feels like. Nicodemus couldn't change his mind either or understand what Jesus was telling him about being born again for that matter.

Regarding Santa Clause my 10 year old came home troubled yesterday telling me he had a "religious" question he wanted an answer to. He asked me if it is a sin to lie why do people tell little kids there is a santa clause, isn't that lying?

WalterTrull

Godfella
Not one shred of proof has been shown that proves the existence of God
The proof of God is you and me. We seem like separate entities, but wait, we are aware of each other. We converse. Impossible. A thing can only be aware of itself. Aha, an all encompassing entity, a field? Perhaps. There you have it. Has to be God.

socharlie

Thanks.
I'd agree with you if I wasn't just so darn apathetic about the issue.
is man smart and knowledgeable enough to recognize "proof' of God when passing by it?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I still believe science has a much stronger argument than religion. The evidence science has shown far outweighs writings in a book and the interpretations of humans who have read that book. After watching Benny Hinn and his smite jacket, the entertainment in religion has gone to new levels.

A stronger argument for what? What is being argued about? Why argue about whatever it is at all?

What do you believe the purposes of religion are? I'm getting the impression you have some rather strange ideas about this in particular.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
is man smart and knowledgeable enough to recognize "proof' of God when passing by it?

I get where you're going with this, but I'm not sure I'd frame it as a matter of smarts and knowledge. It's certainly true that if you don't hold to certain assumptions within your worldview, you'll be blind to the gods. Christians are blind to my gods, I'm blind to their god, and atheists are blind to everything. No big deal, it just means we all have diverse ways of seeing and experiencing the world.

socharlie

A stronger argument for what? What is being argued about? Why argue about whatever it is at all?

What do you believe the purposes of religion are? I'm getting the impression you have some rather strange ideas about this in particular.
I get where you're going with this, but I'm not sure I'd frame it as a matter of smarts and knowledge. It's certainly true that if you don't hold to certain assumptions within your worldview, you'll be blind to the gods. Christians are blind to my gods, I'm blind to their god, and atheists are blind to everything. No big deal, it just means we all have diverse ways of seeing and experiencing the world.
as old Gnostic thing goes - there are three types of human natures: one of them is material and requires pure physical evidence, the other one is half and half the third one requires no evidence...