• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Faith Is A Choice

katiemygirl

CHRISTIAN
Faith is something we choose to have.

Faith is taking Jesus at His word, and obeying what He says.

We get faith by hearing God's Word.

Taylor Seraphim

Angel of Reason
I never understood that thing in Christianity - having faith or believing in Yeshua. It's like you hope for your religion to be true but you're not 100% sure.:confused:

Im fairly certain that there are very few things we can be 100% sure of, and religion is not one of them.

katiemygirl

CHRISTIAN
Can you please define faith?
Hebrews 11:1 defines it much better than I ever could

But in my mind, it means to take Jesus at His Word, and follow it up with doing what He says to do.

Hebrews 11 talks about the great heroes of faith. Each of them seems to believe what God says, and then do what He says to do.

Example: God tells Noah to build an ark. Noah believes God. He builds the ark.

God tells Joshua to march around Jericho seven times. Joshua believes God and does what God says to do.

How do you define faith?

Taylor Seraphim

Angel of Reason

But in my mind, it means to take Jesus at His Word, and follow it up with doing what He says to do.

Hebrews 11 talks about the great heroes of faith. Each of them seems to believe what God says, and then do what He says to do.

God tells Joshua to march around Jericho seven times. Joshua believes God and does what God says to do.

How do you define faith?

Well the people you speak off did not have faith then, because they did not know a Jesus to have faith in.

Faith: Belief not requiring evidence.

katiemygirl

CHRISTIAN
Well the people you speak off did not have faith then, because they did not know a Jesus to have faith in.

Faith: Belief not requiring evidence.
They had faith in God.

Amen to your definition.

Noah had no evidence that a flood was about to occur, but he did what God told him to do. He built an ark. Imagine how foolish his neighbors thought he was.

Joshua didn't know the city would collapse after his army marched arount it seven times, but he did it anyway. Why? Because God told him to. He had faith.

Do you think faith is a choice?

Taylor Seraphim

Angel of Reason
They had faith in God.

Amen to your definition.

Noah had no evidence that a flood was about to occur, but he did what God told him to do. He built an ark. Imagine how foolish his neighbors thought he was.

Joshua didn't know the city would collapse after his army marched arount it seven times, but he did it anyway. Why? Because God told him to. He had faith.

Do you think faith is a choice?

Alright, so do you think god punishes non-believers in hell?

Raahim

مكتوب

How do you define faith?

I feel like there's error in terms - Noah didn't believe God, he listened to God - he could only believe that God would bring the flood on Earth. Joshua also listened to what God said to him and did as he was told, he could believe in God's protection for example that no one would harm him.

I have faith (& believe) in God's guidance through my life - God exists & there are many proofs for this, some will see them as legit and some will reject them.

Taylor Seraphim

Angel of Reason
I feel like there's error in terms - Noah didn't believe God, he listened to God - he could only believe that God would bring the flood on Earth. Joshua also listened to what God said to him and did as he was told, he could believe in God's protection for example that no one would harm him.

I have faith (& believe) in God's guidance through my life - God exists & there are many proofs for this, some will see them as legit and some will reject them.

Why would people reject them if there are so many proofs?

Raahim

مكتوب
Why would people reject them if there are so many proofs?

Because they simply don't accept such things as proof of God. They want something extraordinary, unbelievable and it's all around them they just don't see it - physics, mathematics, psychology, biology, linguistics all of those are decent proofs that everything was made for a logical purpose and not a result of coincidence.

Taylor Seraphim

Angel of Reason
Because they simply don't accept such things as proof of God. They want something extraordinary, unbelievable and it's all around them they just don't see it - physics, mathematics, psychology, biology, linguistics all of those are decent proofs that everything was made for a logical purpose and not a result of coincidence.

Why don't they accept these things? What is the motive?

Raahim

مكتوب
Why don't they accept these things? What is the motive?

That question you should ask them. When people seek the proof of God they want something huge, epic that will make their brains explode like the voice from the sky, levitating talking figure of light, something which can't be explained - they want to see proof of God's existence in big things yet they can't see God in small things. To climb a mountain you start from the bottom.

katiemygirl

CHRISTIAN
Alright, so do you think god punishes non-believers in hell?
You didn't answer my question. Is faith a choice?

I believe Jesus when He said in Matthew 13:41-42, 49-50,

“The Son of Man will send his angels, and they will gather out of his kingdom all causes of sin and all law-breakers, and throw them into the fiery furnace. In that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth. So it will be at the end of the age. The angels will come out and separate the evil from the righteous and throw them into the fiery furnace. In that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.”

I believe Jesus when He said in Mark 9:43, 48-49,

“And if your hand causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life crippled than with two hands to go to hell, to the unquenchable fire…where their worm does not die and the fire is not quenched.’ For everyone will be salted with fire.”

Do you have faith in what Jesus said?

Again, faith is a choice we each make.