• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

faith healing parents found guilty

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
An Oregon couple who practice faith healing testified they did everything they could for their 16-year-old son before he died, but a jury decided it was not enough, especially just months after the death of their granddaughter.

Jeff and Marci Beagley were convicted of criminally negligent homicide on Tuesday after prosecutors argued they failed in their duty to get medical help for their son, Neil, in June 2008.

Thoughts?

dust1n

Zindīq
An Oregon couple who practice faith healing testified they did everything they could for their 16-year-old son before he died, but a jury decided it was not enough, especially just months after the death of their granddaughter.

Jeff and Marci Beagley were convicted of criminally negligent homicide on Tuesday after prosecutors argued they failed in their duty to get medical help for their son, Neil, in June 2008.

Thoughts?

Imprisoned for not debting one's self endlessly by paying for unaffordable health insurance... owch. I would agree with this decision if all health care was free. I don't agree with it since health care is a commodity, and a unaffordable one at that. I convict the American government for criminally negligent homicide to all those who could not afford insurance.

MSizer

MSizer
I wish for two possible futures for them. Either they denounce their superstitions and devote the next 20 years to spreading information to the public about the consequences of neglecting medicine in favour of superstition, or they rot behind bars.

AxisMundi

E Pluribus Unum!!!
Imprisoned for not debting one's self endlessly by paying for unaffordable health insurance... owch. I would agree with this decision if all health care was free. I don't agree with it since health care is a commodity, and a unaffordable one at that. I convict the American government for criminally negligent homicide to all those who could not afford insurance.

So you lay a price upon the life of a son?

Ignoring for the moment the g'ment programs and charities that either help mitigate costs, or pick up the tab totally.

AxisMundi

E Pluribus Unum!!!

Thoughts?

There is an inherent freedom of religion in this country.

However, religion is bound by US Laws.

These people are guilty as charged.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie

"Sorry son, but I just do not want to get in over my head by taking you to the emergency room. We'll miss you....":areyoucra

MSizer

MSizer
Did they try rubbing a mixture of marten musk and wild garlic on his testicles while doing the chicken dance and reciting the names of thier ancestors backwards?

If not, they have nobody to blame but themselves.

dust1n

Zindīq
"Sorry son, but I just do not want to get in over my head by taking you to the emergency room. We'll miss you....":areyoucra

Well, certainly some government program could have helped, but it shouldn't be an issue in the first place. It would have been terrible if conventional medicine didn't work and the kid still died, yet the family would still be stuck with the bills none the less. Indebting yourself to the health care system doesn't not necessarily mean it would have saved his child's life. Don't get me wrong, the parents sound like complete **********.

sonofskeptish

It is what it is

Thoughts?

Sick. When will we realize that the right of a child to be protected from their parent's religious practices, trumps any parent's right to practice that religion.

DavyCrocket2003

How do people justify this kind of thing? I don't how they can believe in a God that would expect people to do nothing and expect a miracle.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Well, certainly some government program could have helped, but it shouldn't be an issue in the first place.
How would it have helped to have a government program that they almost certainly would not have used? The issue was the parents' beliefs. I see no reason to assume that money would've been an issue in all this at all.

How do people justify this kind of thing? I don't how they can believe in a God that would expect people to do nothing and expect a miracle.
Personally, I don't believe that there's an all-powerful and loving God looking out for us and I don't believe that we go somewhere really, really nice when we die, which is why I think the parents' actions are awful. However, if I did believe these things, I'm not sure why I would find the parents' position that unreasonable.

dust1n

Zindīq
How would it have helped to have a government program that they almost certainly would not have used? The issue was the parents' beliefs. I see no reason to assume that money would've been an issue in all this at all.

True. Then I change my opinion. If the parents were able to afford (by themselves or through help) for treatment, then sure, prosecute them.

But seeing how the kid was sixteen, I think it really depends on his feelings on the subject.