• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

faith as means of sport segregation

Luminous

non-existential luminary
For first time, Iowa girl wins a state wrestling match ... by forfeit - Prep Rally - High School* - Yahoo! Sports

though this can be seen as personal, it occured in the public sphere,
This young man joined a sports competition which was not segregated by sex...yet refused to compete against the young woman on the ground that he was too good to compete against her pitiful weak female inferiority or lets say "reality of physical inferiority"
is it fair for him to ever win matches?
after all, his moral conviction tells him not to play against those he will win over easily.

is this another case of the evils of personal morality?
how do you think that the young lady feels?
more hypocracy from those who use religion to ease their minds?
or is it something more secretive, as that his lust while competing would enbarass him? why not just say it?
Is this kid wasting his time being in the sports scene?
Are girls wasting their time?

Last edited:

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
For first time, Iowa girl wins a state wrestling match ... by forfeit - Prep Rally - High School* - Yahoo! Sports

though this can be seen as personal, it occured in the public sphere,
This young man joined a sports competition which was not segregated by sex...yet refused to compete against the young woman on the ground that he was too good to compete against her pitiful weak female inferiority or lets say "reality of physical inferiority"
is it fair for him to ever win matches?
after all, his moral conviction tells him not to play against those he will win over easily.

is this another case of the evils of personal morality?
how do you think that the young lady feels?
more hypocracy from those who use religion to ease their minds?
or is it something more secretive, as that his lust while competing would enbarass him? why not just say it?
Is this kid wasting his time being in the sports scene?
Are girls wasting their time?

Wow, thats not the article I read.

A

angellous_evangellous

Damn.Iowa is like Sparta. I guess they mix it up because there's not a lot of people out there.

But I did fight plenty of girls in karate. Didn't have a problem at all going full contact because they could defend themselves.

I wouldn't want to wrestle a girl, though. Too close for comfort there, and I wouldn't feel comfortable giving it my best - you know, really getting aggressive.

TJ73

The statement made by the boy does not sound to me at all like it was written by him but rather by an adult. It sounded like they wanted to say something other than the real reason. It is wrestling and that could be really uncomfortable for kids of the opposite sex to do. It may also be uncomfortable for a boy to potentially lose a sport of strength to a female. I don;t think it was bad that he forfeited, but he should have been allowed to be genuine in giving his reason for it.

A

angellous_evangellous

It sounded genuine to me.

Me too.

It's just odd that he didn't get out of wrestling - or join at all - if he felt this way.

He should drop out of wrestling altogether if he wants to practice his kind of non-violence -- and drop out if he doesn't want to wrestle a girl. It's dishonest for him and bad for the team if he can't wrestle someone on the opposing team.

TJ73

Me too.

It's just odd that he didn't get out of wrestling - or join at all - if he felt this way.

He should drop out of wrestling altogether if he wants to practice his kind of non-violence -- and drop out if he doesn't want to wrestle a girl. It's dishonest for him and bad for the team if he can't wrestle someone on the opposing team.
I doubt the thought of having to wrestle with girls would have occurred to him,no?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Me too.
Meh....he could just skip wrestling girls when they confront him, but continue wrestling.
It needn't be called "dishonest". My guess is that the school will need to develop a policy
to deal with the situation.

TJ73

I think it is dishonest to say that a boy wrestling a boy is the same as a boy wrestling a girl.

Luminous

non-existential luminary
Wow, thats not the article I read.
In your arduous reading, you must have missed it
Northrup, a sophomore at Linn-Mar (Iowa) High, cited his personal faith as the motivating force for his forfeit. The withdrawal ensures he can finish no higher than third at the tournament, which follows his third-place finish in the 103-pound classification as a freshman.
ept_sports_prep_rally-892412859-1297959625.jpg
"I have a tremendous amount of respect for Cassy and Megan [Black] and their accomplishments," Northrup said in a statement given to the media following his official forfeit. "However, wrestling is a combat sport and it can get violent at times.
"As a matter of conscience and faith, I do not believe that it is appropriate for a boy to engage a girl in this manner. It is unfortunate that I have been placed in a situation not seen in most other high school sports in Iowa."
While girls have been allowed to compete as part of boys wrestling teams in Iowa for more than two decades, the 2010-11 season marks the first time that any girls have qualified for the state tournament

Luminous

non-existential luminary
I think it is dishonest to say that a boy wrestling a boy is the same as a boy wrestling a girl.
I think its extremely more dishonest to say that a boy wrestling a boy is the same as a boy wrestling another boy.

girls can wrestle, trust me ;)

Luminous

non-existential luminary
I do however, see that the prepared statement was meant to say that the boy was a saint and simply did not want to "be violent" with a women.
almost as if though she didn't work hard to get to where she got.
he was obviously affraid he would lose to her.