• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Faith and Reason

Where do you stand?

• Want strong reason to support faith

Votes: 14 82.4%
  • Want a little reason to support faith

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Want no reason to support faith

• Never really thought about it

• Total voters

No*s

Captain Obvious
As far as I'm concerned reason and faith work together. It's usually presuppositions that make all the difference in the world. Often, a system that sound ridiculous is often quite sound logically, if its presuppositions are accepted.

may

Paul reasoned with those to whom he tried to impart the good news. (Acts 17:2, 17; 18:19) the apostle Paul was a fine imitator of his Master, Jesus Christ so there is nothing wrong with reasoning from the scriptures

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
hi chris,

I am just a little confused by your use of the word 'reason' in your original starter in this thread. Could you elaborate on that point?:)

chris9178

Well, there are different sorts of reason. One could want scientific proof, or rely on strong rationalizing. You're reason may even come from personal experiences that could be considered strong, or weak (miracles for example).

Basically, do you believe its important to know you're right (in some sort of sense), or just believe you are (strong faith).

Of course, in Christianity we're toldin scripture that it takes only faith. But we're also told to be able to defend our faith ( as the apostles did). But by building one, do you lessen the other. They could be seen as two diametrically opposed concepts after all.

fromthe heart

I don't feel everything has to meet reasoning. Some things we have to take on faith. Faith has no reasoning...it's all in what you feel inside your heart of hearts. If someone doesn't understand a point you're trying to make you can turn reasoning into an arguement and arguments lead to hurt feelings and hurt feelings lead to anger and anger can lead to hate. I don't feel this is a proper road to take with others in the human race. We are all at different points of understanding in our lives...sometimes you can convince by Any means.

If you point out something that would prove your point and it's not recieved then perhaps this person isn't ready to recieve the message.

You can take a lie and reason it to be reality...so reason doesn't always have a place in some things.:)

chris9178

So do you believe that a person will be moe richly rewarded in heaven because they rely solely on faith?

I don't know that I could argue against that.

But on the other hand, if you're trying to witness, then a certain degree of reason may be needed.

Interesting thing....

Greyprophet

All are saved and come unto the knowledge of the Truth. All are given the same penny in the end. All are condemend in no-belief. We are all saved because Jesus Christ died for the worlds sins. Now his (the firstfruits), will hear him and will come to him. For who the Father has given him he will not lose one.

It is not by anyone doing anything...except that JEsus Christ died for the sins of the WHOLE world. It is a free gift. Free in that no man earned it.

There are the called...the elect...and the very elect (faithful). All to his choosing for his reasons. But in the end all will be saved, all will bow to Jesus Christ.

Let him with ears to hear...hear.

Greyprophet

Romans 8 (The stumbling stone)

32Wherefore? Because they sought it not by faith, but as it were by the works of the law. For they stumbled at that stumblingstone;

33As it is written, Behold, I lay in Sion a stumblingstone and rock of offence: and whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed