• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Faith and Love

Jeremiah Ames

FAITH is a partnership with God by means of truths that shape our understanding and thoughts.

LOVE is a partnership with God through goodness that shapes our intentions and desires.

The above makes sense to me.

I have done faith and love without a partnership with God, and with.
Since I have experienced both ways, I can easily understand which way works.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I would not use "faith" and "love" in quite that way, but I don't see anything wrong in doing so.

WhyIsThatSo

FAITH is a partnership with God by means of truths that shape our understanding and thoughts.

LOVE is a partnership with God through goodness that shapes our intentions and desires.

If we want to know faith, we must become faith..
if we want to know love, we must become love

Jim

Nets of Wonder

Is this part of something, is there a context for this? Is this an answer to some questions that you were asking yourself? Can you picture someone reading this who might get some ideas and inspiration from it? If so, where might they be coming from, or what might they be searching for?

Jim

Nets of Wonder

What are you thinking of as a partnership with God? Do you mean like an entrepreneurial partnership? Marriage partnership? Other? What do you and God do, that makes it a partnership?

One of the ways that I think of my relationship with God is like a master and apprentice in some art, craft or profession.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Faith and Truth are incompatible terms in my view.

I'm not sure how love factors in as it can be a pretty funny term all in itself. Can a person love something that can't actually be seen heard touched or smelled?

Least of all because the object of said 'love' demands it, for which you must place 'faith' that the said object is even there at all to begin with?

Audie

Veteran Member

So no faith or love for me, ever.

Audie

Veteran Member
What are you thinking of as a partnership with God? Do you mean like an entrepreneurial partnership? Marriage partnership? Other? What do you and God do, that makes it a partnership?

One of the ways that I think of my relationship with God is like a master and apprentice in some art, craft or profession.

Its kind of like an ant having a partnership with new york city

Jeremiah Ames

Is this part of something, is there a context for this? Is this an answer to some questions that you were asking yourself? Can you picture someone reading this who might get some ideas and inspiration from it? If so, where might they be coming from, or what might they be searching for?
I struggled with the concept of faith from the first time I heard it in a church building. People use the word quite frequently, and it appears from their use that there is no consistent definition in peoples minds. Also, I think many use it to refer to their religion. If religion is faith to many people, so be it.
Then, the concept of love seems so straightforward, but as my understanding of it evolved I realized it is much deeper than what first appears. For instance: I ‘love’ chocolate. Uh huh. Really? I could relate to that sentence a year ago, but no longer.

Jeremiah Ames

So no faith or love for me, ever.
Not true.
Something shapes your understanding and thoughts.
And something shapes your desires and intentions.
Simply substitute that ‘something’ , regardless of what it is, in place of the word God, for you.

Like the ant in New York City.
The ant would substitute New York City for God.

Audie

Veteran Member
Not true.
Something shapes your understanding and thoughts.
And something shapes your desires and intentions.
Simply substitute that ‘something’ , regardless of what it is, in place of the word God, for you.

Like the ant in New York City.
The ant would substitute New York City for God.

You were talking about partnership, not substituting.
Do you have anything to say about that?

substitute...

Uh, no. I do not substitute anything for "god" any more
than ye ant does.
You KNOW the ant does not, but probably do not believe
that I dont.

Audie

Veteran Member
I struggled with the concept of faith from the first time I heard it in a church building. People use the word quite frequently, and it appears from their use that there is no consistent definition in peoples minds. Also, I think many use it to refer to their religion. If religion is faith to many people, so be it.
Then, the concept of love seems so straightforward, but as my understanding of it evolved I realized it is much deeper than what first appears. For instance: I ‘love’ chocolate. Uh huh. Really? I could relate to that sentence a year ago, but no longer.

I grew up in a place where Christians are a small minority.
To me, their symbol of someone being tortured to death was
appalling, and deeply alien.

As I got older and learned some of the ideas, I didnt get
any better impression. I think it was hearing that "god is
love" kind of slammed the door for me, that being just
too outlandishly ridiculous.

Jeremiah Ames

It’s more of a concept of what rules our individual lives.
For instance:
There are people who love having money, love making money.
Their thoughts are shaped by money. ‘How can I get more money?’
When they go to make a purchase, they think ‘is this a good investment?’ or ‘is it worth it?’
Their intentions and desires are shaped by the love of money. They actually feel joy when their stock purchase rises and anguish when it falls, even over short time spans. Think people jumping out of windows from high buildings when stock market crashes.

His life formed a partnership with money. When the money (appeared) to abandon him, he had nothing to live for.

Now contrast that to my ‘imaginary’ love of chocolate. (I do like chocolate by the way. A lot)
My thoughts are shaped by chocolate? Yes. ‘I’m bored, where’s the chocolate?’ ‘I feel like a snack. Oh, what about something chocolate?’
I go shopping. ‘Where is the chocolate aisle?’ ‘What percentage cacao does it have?’
My intentions and desires are shaped by the love of chocolate.
It doesn’t matter if I’m gaining too much weight.
It doesn’t matter if it’s getting too expensive.
The desire fir chocolate overpowers me.
Notice how money is irrelevant to me. Only getting more chocolate.
If chocolate were banned and no longer made, I would consider jumping from a high window.

My life has formed a partnership with chocolate.

I use the word God for a reason. In the first scenario the person considered money his ‘god’. In the second, chocolate was his ‘god’
You can look at it as a figure of speech, to represent a driving force in individual lives.

Jeremiah Ames

You were talking about partnership, not substituting.
Do you have anything to say about that?

substitute...

Uh, no. I do not substitute anything for "god" any more
than ye ant does.
You KNOW the ant does not, but probably do not believe
that I dont.

Sorry. I was slow in getting to your question.
Had to take some time for breakfast.
No maple scones, unfortunately.

The ant analogy doesn’t particularly work, by the way.
Ants don’t have an intellect, nor a will.
They just operate from instinct.
Unfortunately, many people do the same. Those who are more like animals, than human.
But I digress. I hope my other post sheds some light on my thoughts.

WhyIsThatSo

TRUE "Christians" still are a small minority, very, very small.
If I had to estimate, I would say you would be lucky to find one in a million people.
You certainly will not find one in any kind of orthodox "church" building today.

Also, you might like to know that TRUE Christians are just as appalled at a
symbol of someone being tortured to death as you are . And they despise it (crucifix).
Because the True God ( not the OT one ) is "Love", and had nothing to do with the crucifixion.

Audie

Veteran Member
If I had to estimate, I would say you would be lucky to find one in a million people.
You certainly will not find one in any kind of orthodox "church" building today.

symbol of someone being tortured to death as you are . And they despise it (crucifix).
Because the True God ( not the OT one ) is "Love", and had nothing to do with the crucifixion.

sorry, I dont have any use for the true scotsman thing.

j1i

Smiling is charity without giving money

Thank you and thank you for the opportunity to participate, mister

Can you lose faith in your body parts, your blood, or your need for life, by cutting out parts in your body?
It is not a chocolate bar that you can get bored of loving it
Belief in God is a constant need to continue, (a testament to you that you believe in who created you) and if you leave it, you are not Gratitude and ungrateful.
When you are in a job and refuse to do job duties, you will expose yourself to dismissal, as well as to faith in God and his love that will expose you to dismissal and exclusion.

Faith in God who created us is to prove thanks to God, it is he who blesses our lives, feeds us, and brings us happiness

Audie

Veteran Member
Sorry. I was slow in getting to your question.
Had to take some time for breakfast.
No maple scones, unfortunately.

The ant analogy doesn’t particularly work, by the way.
Ants don’t have an intellect, nor a will.
They just operate from instinct.
Unfortunately, many people do the same. Those who are more like animals, than human.
But I digress. I hope my other post sheds some light on my thoughts.

No analogy is perfect, but I think the ant is closer
to a human than a human could be to the "god"
xians talk about.

And if anything, far less capable of being a partner.
If you count "zero" as merely being less.

Jeremiah Ames

Why do you think the OT God is not the true one?
Why do you think the true God is love?
Do you think the NT God is a different one than the OT one?
How would you describe God to the best of your ability?

Just curious. Who knows, I may see it all the same.