• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Failure of Belief or Believer

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
If a person fails as a religious observant, does the person fail, or did the religion?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
If a person fails as a religious observant, does the person fail, or did the religion?
Depends. Maybe the religion was deliberately setting up the person to fail. In that case, the person's failure is the religion's success.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Depends. Maybe the religion was deliberately setting up the person to fail. In that case, the person's failure is the religion's success.
you can't profit from what you can't control. knowledge is power. controlling resources, information, leads to absolute power

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Defining your terms would be a good start.

its the slight difference between an idea and the ideal.

ten blind sages touch an elephant in 10 different place. all ten experience it from a different place in space and time.

Which experience(s) is the most valid?

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
its the slight difference between an idea and the ideal.

ten blind sages touch an elephant in 10 different place. all ten experience it from a different place in space and time.

Which experience(s) is the most valid?

I don't think you understood my advice.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member

Well, the only way "religion" (what?) could fail at something is if we personify it. Most folks don't seem to consider "religion" to be a person, so no, it can't fail at things. It not an individual capable of behaviors.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
The national bird of Canada is the grey jay, also known as the whiskey jack. This was just made official in November.

(Since we're playing the non-sequitur game, apparently)
I'm implying that those who advocate a religion aren't necessarily in it for the good of other's as self. they're in it for self-glorification and not self-actualization.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Well, the only way "religion" (what?) could fail at something is if we personify it. Most folks don't seem to consider "religion" to be a person, so no, it can't fail at things. It not an individual capable of behaviors.

so you're suggesting that an idea can't fail, or succeed, until it becomes actualized?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
we get to ask the devil .....maybe
no doubt he believes in God

would you call him a failure?
(at that moment when you ask)

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Probably the person as there are so many different religions and thousands of different denominations that the person should find something to their liking.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
We would need to know the specifics.

if the belief system is service to "self exclusive" and the observant practices service to others as self at times then fail, or no fail?

if the belief system is service to "All as self" and the observant practices service to self exclusive at times then fail, or no fail?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
if the belief system is service to "self exclusive" and the observant practices service to others as self at times then fail, or no fail?

if the belief system is service to "All as self" and the observant practices service to self exclusive at times then fail, or no fail?
I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean to say.

In any case, you seem to insist on a sharply dualistic classification. I feel the need to warn you that those are rarely very useful and tend to mislead at least as often as they do not.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean to say.

In any case, you seem to insist on a sharply dualistic classification. I feel the need to warn you that those are rarely very useful and tend to mislead at least as often as they do not.

i'm looking at the action vs the form. there is no absolute form, there is a dualistic action. there is a positive vs negative action. often they lie somewhere on a percentage scale and not an absolute polarity.

unfortunately for those who take the negative path, no person is an island unto itself. with the negative path there must be a hierarchy created. with the positive path there is no hierarchy but only oneness, or balance, equality.

selfishness(-) vs selflessness(+)

both are permissible to a point but at some point the negative path has to revert to a positive and cooperation vs antagonism

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Most religions do not even fit this extremely reductionist model you propose, you know.

Not everything fits neatly into an unidimensional scale of "selflessness vs selfishness".

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Most religions do not even fit this extremely reductionist model you propose, you know.

Not everything fits neatly into an unidimensional scale of "selflessness vs selfishness".

actually if you look at a balance; which symbolizes justice, it can. straight and narrow is the WAY, neither to the left or the right. or from the oracle at delphi, "Neither to excess.........". or buddhism, the middle WAY. it is fairly simple. some attempt to make it complicated.

its neither asceticism, nor hedonism, but somewhere in the between

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
actually if you look at a balance; which symbolizes justice, it can. straight and narrow is the WAY, neither to the left or the right. or from the oracle at delphi, "Neither to excess.........". or buddhism, the middle WAY. it is fairly simple. some attempt to make it complicated.

its neither asceticism, nor hedonism, but somewhere in the between
Life is complicated. There is a reason why wisdom is a religious virtue.