• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Failed NT Prophecies about the Second Coming of Jesus

101G

Nope, I just checked. One. This passage has been a problem for Christians for ages. Do you think that your facile argument will convince anyone/
sure, it will make them free of IGNORANCE.

so you don't believe the Lord Jesus returned on the Day of Pentecost in Spirit/Power?

101G.

101G

ok, Subduction Zon
let me ask you a question. John 14:16 "And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;"

who was the first Comforter? your answer please.

101G.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
so, we can take this as you cannot answer..... thought so.

101G.
What do you think needs an answer? Are you taking about the false accusation that you made?

Here, let me copy and past an article on this for you:

"The imminence of the Second Coming[edit]
Christians today tend to believe that Jesus didn't put an expiration date on the Second Coming, and that he simply said he was coming back 'very soon' (which is itself a questionable claim considering how much time has elapsed since he supposedly said that). Eschatological hopes are usually gradually extinguished, but the 'I am coming back very soon' doctrine doesn't seem to bother Christians for some reason.

However, statements like this can be found throughout the Gospels. In Matthew 16:27-28, Jesus says the following:

For the Son of Man is going to come in his Father’s glory with his angels, and then he will reward each person according to what they have done. Truly I tell you, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom.

Hmm, so the Second Coming was supposed to happen around the 1st century while some of Jesus' listeners were still alive. That would make Jesus about 2000 years late and counting. Similar promises are made in Mark 9:1, Luke 9:26-28, and elsewhere. Apologists are forced to argue that 'the Son of Man coming in his kingdom' isn't actually talking about the Second Coming, and is referring to something else. But the preceding phrases like "Then he will reward each person for what they have done" make it quite clear that he is in fact talking about the Second Coming.

Another way in which the imminence of the Second Coming is illustrated is in Matthew 24. This chapter is often titled "The Signs of the End". Jesus explains the signs that will foreshadow the Second Coming, then describes the Second Coming, and then he makes a rather peculiar prediction about that event.

Matthew 24:29-34 reads as follows:

Immediately after the tribulation of those days the sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give its light, and the stars will fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens will be shaken; then will appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven, and then all the tribes of the earth will mourn, and they will see the Son of man coming on the clouds of heaven with power and great glory; and he will send out his angels with a loud trumpet call, and they will gather his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other. From the fig tree learn its lesson: as soon as its branch becomes tender and puts forth its leaves, you know that summer is near. So also, when you see all these things, you know that he is near, at the very gates. Truly, I say to you, this generation will not pass away till all these things take place.

That generation passed away a long time ago and none of those events took place. The same prediction is made in Mark 13:24-31 and Luke 21:25-32. Apologists will argue Jesus is referring to a non-dead generation that was alive 2000 years ago but is somehow also alive today. They will likely say that when Jesus used the word generation, he didn't literally mean that generation. (You'd then have to wonder why he bothered saying it at all if he didn't really mean it.) This isn't as certain of a mistake as the other example, but it still requires an elaborate series of mental gymnastics to resolve."

Biblical prophecies

That deals not only with this particular passage, but several others as well. Many people at that time thought that the end was coming soon. Well it did not. I have my doubts that there are any disciples left alive today.

101G

What do you think needs an answer? Are you taking about the false accusation that you made?

Here, let me copy and past an article on this for you:

"The imminence of the Second Coming[edit]
Christians today tend to believe that Jesus didn't put an expiration date on the Second Coming, and that he simply said he was coming back 'very soon' (which is itself a questionable claim considering how much time has elapsed since he supposedly said that). Eschatological hopes are usually gradually extinguished, but the 'I am coming back very soon' doctrine doesn't seem to bother Christians for some reason.

However, statements like this can be found throughout the Gospels. In Matthew 16:27-28, Jesus says the following:

For the Son of Man is going to come in his Father’s glory with his angels, and then he will reward each person according to what they have done. Truly I tell you, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom.

Hmm, so the Second Coming was supposed to happen around the 1st century while some of Jesus' listeners were still alive. That would make Jesus about 2000 years late and counting. Similar promises are made in Mark 9:1, Luke 9:26-28, and elsewhere. Apologists are forced to argue that 'the Son of Man coming in his kingdom' isn't actually talking about the Second Coming, and is referring to something else. But the preceding phrases like "Then he will reward each person for what they have done" make it quite clear that he is in fact talking about the Second Coming.

Another way in which the imminence of the Second Coming is illustrated is in Matthew 24. This chapter is often titled "The Signs of the End". Jesus explains the signs that will foreshadow the Second Coming, then describes the Second Coming, and then he makes a rather peculiar prediction about that event.

Matthew 24:29-34 reads as follows:

Immediately after the tribulation of those days the sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give its light, and the stars will fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens will be shaken; then will appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven, and then all the tribes of the earth will mourn, and they will see the Son of man coming on the clouds of heaven with power and great glory; and he will send out his angels with a loud trumpet call, and they will gather his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other. From the fig tree learn its lesson: as soon as its branch becomes tender and puts forth its leaves, you know that summer is near. So also, when you see all these things, you know that he is near, at the very gates. Truly, I say to you, this generation will not pass away till all these things take place.

That generation passed away a long time ago and none of those events took place. The same prediction is made in Mark 13:24-31 and Luke 21:25-32. Apologists will argue Jesus is referring to a non-dead generation that was alive 2000 years ago but is somehow also alive today. They will likely say that when Jesus used the word generation, he didn't literally mean that generation. (You'd then have to wonder why he bothered saying it at all if he didn't really mean it.) This isn't as certain of a mistake as the other example, but it still requires an elaborate series of mental gymnastics to resolve."

Biblical prophecies

That deals not only with this particular passage, but several others as well. Many people at that time thought that the end was coming soon. Well it did not. I have my doubts that there are any disciples left alive today.
do you believe men, or God. LISTEN and LEARN, Matthew 16:28 "Verily I say unto you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom."

Luke 9:27 "But I tell you of a truth, there be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the kingdom of God."

who is the KINGDOM of GOD? answer Jesus, the Holy Spirit.

101G.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
do you believe men, or God. LISTEN and LEARN, Matthew 16:28 "Verily I say unto you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom."

Luke 9:27 "But I tell you of a truth, there be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the kingdom of God."

who is the KINGDOM of GOD? answer Jesus, the Holy Spirit.

101G.
Hold it, what makes you think that God had anything to do with that?

101G

GINOLJC, to all
Matthew 16:27 "For the Son of man shall come in the glory of his Father with his angels; and then he shall reward every man according to his works." Matthew 16:28 "Verily I say unto you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom."

Let's get educated, THE KINGDOM OF GOD. Who and What is it, or him, ANSWER, Romans 14:17 "For the kingdom of God is not meat and drink; but righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost."
and where is the KINGDOM OF GOD Located? Luke 17:21 "Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you." HELLO, ANYONE HOME?

My God how simple is this.

@Subduction Zone come out from under the rocks and walk in the LIGHT of God.

KNOW YOUR BIBLE.

101G.

let's make it VERY PLAIN, Mark 9:1 "And he said unto them, Verily I say unto you, That there be some of them that stand here, which shall not taste of death, till they have seen the kingdom of God come with power."

the KINGDOM of GOD is the HOLY SPIRIT, question, when did the Holy Spirit Come? answer on the day of Pentecost. yes, before some of them standing there died. Oh how simple the bible is ..... if one get UNDERSTANDING.

101G.

Muffled

Jesus in me
All of these verses predict the second coming would occur in the first century, which of course it did not. You really can't get any more clear in the language used in the verses--it's just not possible that they could be referring to anything else besides the second coming/"Judgment Day". CS Lewis had the honesty to admit that they failed.

I believe that statement is false. There is no foundation for it.

I believe in my experience when a person says something is clear or obvious they are trying to obscure the reality.

I believe that may be the case but it does not put it in the context of first century.

I believe it depends on how much CS Lewis knew. Before he became a Christian he would not have had the guidance of the Holy Spirit and afterwards it is still a learning experience.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Yes, comets can be seen every few years. Kohoutek was not all that bright. If one was not an astronomer one would not have noticed it. Did you have a point?

It falls on the celebrated birthday of Jesus. It is not common for a comet to make perihelion on the same day as a solar eclipse and for it to be Dec 25 has to be even less common.

Muffled

Jesus in me
I am not sure what you are referring to here.

I am talking about the stars falling from heaven and the power of the heavens shaken. Neither have occurred yet not even on Dec 25, 1973. So it is something yet to come it would appear, unless there is a double fulfillment. Double fulfillments are fairly common. For instance the abomination of desolation has occurred twice and there is one yet to come. Most likely that would be the anti-Christ sitting in the rebuilt temple calling himself God.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I am talking about the stars falling from heaven and the power of the heavens shaken. Neither have occurred yet not even on Dec 25, 1973. So it is something yet to come it would appear, unless there is a double fulfillment. Double fulfillments are fairly common. For instance the abomination of desolation has occurred twice and there is one yet to come. Most likely that would be the anti-Christ sitting in the rebuilt temple calling himself God.
The stars cannot "fall from heaven". Many prophecies are self refuting. Do you realize that the stars are incredibly distant from the Earth?

Muffled

Jesus in me
The stars cannot "fall from heaven". Many prophecies are self refuting. Do you realize that the stars are incredibly distant from the Earth?

I believe stars would include any space object from the perspective of ancient people who did not know the nature of stars. Rev. 6:13 and the stars of the sky fell to the earth as the fig tree sheds its winter fruit when shaken by a gale.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I believe stars would include any space object from the perspective of ancient people who did not know the nature of stars. Rev. 6:13 and the stars of the sky fell to the earth as the fig tree sheds its winter fruit when shaken by a gale.
Of course you would. One has to rather radically reinterpret the Bible for it to be "true" at all. Did you know that most Christians do not follow the Flat Earth teachings of the Bible? Shameful.