1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured Failed NT Prophecies about the Second Coming of Jesus

Discussion in 'Biblical Debates' started by Hubert Farnsworth, Jun 4, 2018.

1. Hubert Farnsworth

Hubert Farnsworth Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,860
    Religion:
    De Facto Atheist - technically Agnostic
    All of these verses predict the second coming would occur in the first century, which of course it did not. You really can't get any more clear in the language used in the verses--it's just not possible that they could be referring to anything else besides the second coming/"Judgment Day". CS Lewis had the honesty to admit that they failed.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Faithofchristian

Faithofchristian Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +516
    Religion:
    Christian
    Nope not at, your just taking them out of context.
    Matthew 10:21-23.

Verse 21--"And the brother shall deliver up the brother to death, and the father the child, and the children shall rise up against their parents, and cause them to be put to death"

First who's the brother ? Well seeing Jesus is speaking to those of Israel, for all Israel's are brothers and sisters.
    If you had backup to Verse 5 -6, you would haved found Jesus saying to the
    12 disciples " Go not into the way of the Gentiles, and into any city of the Samaritans enter you not.
    Verse 6--"But go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel"

Therefore those of Israel are brothers and sisters.

Verse 22--"And you shall be hated of all men, for my name sake, but he that endures to the end shall be saved"

This is no different than to day, right.

Verse 23--"But when they persecute you in this city, flee you into another, for verily I say unto you, You shall not have gone over the cities of Israel, till the Son of man be come"

So what did Jesus mean by that statement?
    ( You shall not have gone over the cities of Israel, till the Son of man be come)

This Verse 23, like many others, fools many people, All because they are not keeping up with the program.

What has Jesus been telling his
    12 disciples all along.
    "I'm going up to Jerusalem, I'm going to die, I'm going to be risen in 3 days. And when I am risen, you will see me again.

So when the 12 disciples found Jesus had risen, This of Matthew 10:23 came to be fulfilled.

3. Muffled

Muffled Jesus in me

Ratings:
    +933
    Religion:
    Christian
    Comet Kohoutek,
    Epoch 24 December 1973 - Wikipedia

December 24, 1973 — Annular Solar Eclipse -
    Annular Solar Eclipse on December 24, 1973

4. Muffled

Muffled Jesus in me

Ratings:
    +933
    Religion:
    Christian
    I believe if you are still talking about the prophecy of the return of Jesus as having a time limit then it did not run out 1900 years ago and is still in process.

5. Subduction Zone

Subduction Zone Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +14,487
    Religion:
    Atheist
    Yes, comets can be seen every few years. Kohoutek was not all that bright. If one was not an astronomer one would not have noticed it. Did you have a point?

6. Subduction Zone

Ratings:
    +14,487
    Religion:
    Atheist
    I am talking about the prophecy that Jesus made. That ran out about 1,900 years ago. Haven't you read the New Testament?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Muffled

Muffled Jesus in me

Ratings:
    +933
    Religion:
    Christian
    Mat 24:29, 30 ...shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken: 30 And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven...

A darkened sun and moon happens during a solar eclipse and the comet serves as a sign of Jesus because it occurred on His birthday.

8. Muffled

Muffled Jesus in me

Ratings:
    +933
    Religion:
    Christian
    I believe it did not run out. That is a false interpretation. It can't run out until after the sign of Jesus appears.

9. Subduction Zone

Ratings:
    +14,487
    Religion:
    Atheist
    And yet there have been countless examples of both and no return of Jesus. Thanks for pointing to another failed prophecy

10. Subduction Zone

Ratings:
    +14,487
    Religion:
    Atheist
    Then you do not understand it.

11. TrueBeliever37

TrueBeliever37 Active Member

Ratings:
    +84
    Religion:
    Non-Denominational
    Hubert,

Matthew 24: , Mark 13: , and Luke 21: are not just about the 2nd coming and the end of the world. The disciples had been speaking about how beautiful the temple and buildings were, and the Messiah let them know that they would be destroyed. They asked him questions about when these things would be, and about his coming, and the end of the world. So it wasn't just one question he was answering.

He let them know they would be brought before kings, persecuted, put in prison, hated of all men, betrayed, and some caused to be put to death. He let them know that when they saw Jerusalem encompassed with armies that then, the desolation was near. When they saw that, they were to flee and not go back into the city. (This was fulfilled around 70 AD, when the Roman armies destroyed Jerusalem.) Then he also told them how after that tribulation, there would be signs in the sun, and in the moon, and in the stars, and on earth distress of nations, and then he would be coming. But he had made it clear that no one knew about the day or hour when he would return, and so to always be ready.

But when he spoke about some standing there who would not die before they saw the kingdom come, he was talking about the church, which is his kingdom. The message that John the Baptist, and the Messiah had been preaching was to repent, for the kingdom of God was near. He gave Peter the keys to the kingdom, or in other words the way to get in. Romans 14:17 said the kingdom of God is not meat and drink; but righteousness, peace, and joy in the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit didn't come until the day of Pentecost (about 50 days after he was crucified) which was told about in Acts 2: . That was the first preaching after the death and resurrection of the Messiah. Peter had the keys, and he used them, letting them know how to get into the kingdom (the church).

So there were many who had been standing there who did not taste of death, until they saw the kingdom come. His 2nd coming and the end of the world and the judgement is still to come.

#231 TrueBeliever37, Sep 10, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2018