• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Factory workers strike in Belarus as protests enter 11th week

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Belarus strike action begins | DW | 26.10.2020

Factory workers, students and business owners in Belarus began a general strike on Monday to demand that President Alexander Lukashenko step down after more than two months of continuing mass protests following a disputed election.

Lukashenko ignored an ultimatum to surrender power by midnight over claims his August 9 re-election was rigged. The authoritarian leader had challenged his opponents to carry out a threat to paralyze Belarus with strikes.

Police used stun grenades as more than 100,000 people gathered in Minsk, Grodno, Brest and other cities. The Interior Ministry said police made 523 arrests across the country.

Factories carrying out strikes included oil company Belarusneft, fertilizer giant Belaruskali, automakers MAZ, MZKT and Belkommunmash, tractor manufacturer MTZ and appliance maker Atlant, the opposition movement said in a statement.

Managers "tried to intimidate people with riot police in the usual collective-farm manner, yelling at the workers and resorting to ridiculous threats to deprive them of pay. This only reminds them of why they took to the streets," the statement said.

Lukashenko scoffed, asking "who will feed the kids?" if workers at state-owned enterprises went on strike.

The latest twist in the standoff was being closely watched Monday by neighboring Russia and Western governments.

Thousands have been arrested, and there have reports of several deaths and abusive conditions in the jails.

Accounts of Lukashenko's crackdown since August include harrowing scenes of abuse in jails, thousands of arrests, and several deaths.

Travel bans and asset freezes against Belarus officials accused of election fraud were recently imposed by the United States, the EU, Britain and Canada.

As I recall, Lukashenko "won" the election with 80% of the vote, but they're alleging the vote was rigged.

I wonder if we'll see something like that in America. What if Trump wins with 80% of the vote (while the polls currently show him several points behind)? People might think it's rigged and protest, go out on strike, etc. If Biden wins, Trump will most certainly say it's rigged and may not peacefully leave office, which could lead to protests, strikes, etc.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I wish those in Belarus who long for freedom well. My parents came from the Pale there so I feel a bit of a tie more than other places.