• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fact or Fiction The Earth Rotates around the sun?

Levite

Higher and Higher
I really don't understand- this is grade school science. And not even higher grades-- like first or second grade science. Really? I mean...really? This must be trolling. It must be. Nobody could possibly be this obtuse, it would violate some sort of law of thermodynamics or something.

chinu

chinu
You're not sure whether the sun revolves around the earth any more because of YouTube?

I weep for the future of mankind.
Generally boys use to revolve around the girls, But.. am not sure this is true in this case too :D

Alceste

Vagabond
There is no absolute truth about this, it depends on whether you hold the sun as a fixed point, or the earth as a fixed point.

I get what you're saying, but it really doesn't. Neither are fixed points. The universe is expanding, so the sun is moving. In the meantime, all the planets orbit around it in a fashion that is both elegant, simple enough that a child can grasp it immediately, and completely consistent with the laws of physics.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I suppose that one could posit some new laws of physics & construct an elaborate mathematical model
(typical of those wacky Russkies) which fits this explanation, but I suspect that it wouldn't be very useful
because of complexity & lack of predictive value. I hereby invoke Occam's Razor to dump it.

The video probably gets more serious interest than it deserves because of its ponderous sound track.
Watch it again, but this time imagine this more appropriate music instead......
[youtube]mns3v5rqph4[/youtube]
Pee-Wee's Playhouse : Intro [HD] - YouTube

Kerr

Why not ask the earth ? that around whom do she rotates, and for what ? :D
Lets see. The sun? Check. The galactic core? Check. Something more? Probably. Now, imagine the in the video that is supposed to show planetary movements. They rotate around the thing, which rotates around the center of the Earth, which rotates around the sun, which rotates around the galactic core... safe to say, my head is spinning. Literally. So is everyone elses. We just dont notice it :p.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Fiction.
It rotates around its axis. It revolves around the Sun.
Of course, as has been pointed out, motion is relative and what you denote a fixed point is arbitrary. If you declare the Earth a fixed point then the Solar System revolves around it.

Last edited by a moderator:

maxfreakout

Neither are fixed points.... all the planets orbit around it.

These 2 statements contradict each other, if you say the planets orbit around the sun, then this implies that the sun is a fixed point, relative to the planets.

It is not absolutely true that the earth orbits the sun, it is only true from within the frame of reference which holds the sun as a fixed point (heliocentrism). In infinite space, there are no fixed points, therefore the earth does not orbit the sun.

You could just as easily define a frame of reference (geocentrism) in which the earth is fixed, and every other objects in the solar system moves relative to the fixed earth in the centre. But wherever you decide to put the fixed point, the absolute truth is that there aren't any fixed points in infinite space

Last edited:

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
These 2 statements contradict each other, if you say the planets orbit around the sun, then this implies that the sun is a fixed point.

It is not absolutely true that the earth orbits the sun, it is only true from within the frame of reference which holds the sun as a fixed point (heliocentrism). In infinite space, there are no fixed points, therefore the earth does not orbit the sun.

You could just as easily define a frame of reference (geocentrism) in which the earth is fixed, and every other objects in the solar system moves relative to the fixed earth in the centre. But wherever you decide to put the fixed point, the absolute truth is that there aren't any fixed points in infinite space

Remove the sun.

Check to see if the Earth's motion remains the same.

maxfreakout

It seems a reasonable assumption, but "absolute truth"?
Have you a proof for this assertion.

Proof for what assertion exactly? What I am saying follows logically from the fact that it is impossible to absolutely fix a point in infinite space. Wherever you put the fixed point is arbitrary. Imagine infinite space which contains just one spherical object, that object has no definitive position, size or motion.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Proof for what assertion exactly? What I am saying follows logically from the fact that it is impossible to absolutely fix a point in infinite space. Wherever you put the fixed point is arbitrary. Imagine infinite space which contains just one spherical object, that object has no definitive position, size or motion.
I don't argue against your view. I just wonder what justification there is for elevating it to "absolute truth".