• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fact check: Trump’s speech on border ‘crisis

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Fact check: Trump’s speech on border ‘crisis’

Executive summary: a few less lies than average I think but still full of crap.

Is there a growing crisis? - NO

A "pipeline" for drugs? - Most comes in in trucks etc which the wall would not do anything about.

"Thousands killed" - Distorted.

Did the Democrats request steel? - lie

Would Mexico pay? - lie

Did Schumer ever support a border wall? - misleading

"One reason and one reason only" - lie

ecco

Veteran Member

A "pipeline" for drugs? - Most comes in in trucks etc which the wall would not do anything about.
Would Mexico pay? - lie
Nice summary.

RE:
I think one reason for that is that his staff constrained the contents of the speech and he didn't ad-lib. Both of these were evidenced by his obvious discomfort reading the teleprompters.

Typing that reminded me:

Trump breaks his own rule, uses teleprompter - CNNPolitics
Trump's use of teleprompter comes despite his long-standing stated position that presidents shouldn't be allowed to use them.

"I've always said, if you run for president, you shouldn't be allowed to use teleprompters," he said to applause during a rally back in October in Georgia. "Because you don't even know if the guy's smart."​

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery

Would Mexico pay? - lie

Good thing that UpChuck and Nancy beat this so soundly into the ground during their time #OccupyingthePodium extravaganza following the Trump spiel

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Good thing that UpChuck and Nancy beat this so soundly into the ground during their time #OccupyingthePodium extravaganza following the Trump spiel
Actually they really didn't spend much time on this, mostly focusing in on the fact that they want the shutdown to stop and that their solution of having better technology and personnel would be much better and much less expensive. The could have done what's in the OP but they only mentioned a couple of items briefly.

IOW, the fact that Trump lies a lot is pretty much a "gimme" by now.

tytlyf

Not Religious
Immigrants (legal/illegal) come to America for work.
Mexicans come to America to work on republican-backed Big Agriculture farms (huge corporations).
They come because they're offered work.
You will not see capitalists stop the flow of immigration due to capitalist policies.
If Mexicans learned that these mega corporations weren't hiring them anymore, then they wouldn't have a reason to come to America.
The very nature of capitalism prevents republicans from doing anything about the problem.

Cut off illegals working on farms = Labor costs skyrocket. Capitalists won't allow that.