• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Eye of the Beholder series: "Will the real worship please stand up?"

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Howard Is post #43
The word worship needs to be clarified.
Can you please describe what you are doing and experiencing when you worship ?
Does the Quran clearly describe what is meant by worship ?
Perhaps you could post that.
So again, what I am interested to know is what is happening when you ‘worship’. In other words, can you describe what is termed the noetic act, in your own words rather than scripture.
Thank you.
paarsurrey post #47:
"The word worship needs to be clarified."

It means receiving the impress of G-d’s attributes:
Quran Verse- 2:138
M. M. Pickthall
ir
"(We take our) colour from Allah, and who is better than Allah at colouring. We are His worshippers."
al-Baqarah 2:138
And G-d has all good attributes to get impress of them in one's self. Right, please?

Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
"worship"

I get the following about the Arabic triliteral root ʿayn bā dāl (ع ب د) used for worship of God/or false god/Devil, about a person who does this activity:

“He served, worshiped, or adored God; rendered to Him religious service, worship, or he obeyed God with humility or submissiveness; or rendered to Him humble, or submissive obedience: he approved what God did: the verb is used in these senses only when when the object is God, or a false god, or the Devil.”

http://www.tyndalearchive.com/TABS/Lane/
The above is one of the famous or the most famous Arabic-English Lexicon by the name:
"Edward William Lane's Arabic-English Lexicon (Dictionary)"

Regards

firedragon

Veteran Member
"worship"

I get the following about the Arabic triliteral root ʿayn bā dāl (ع ب د) used for worship of God/or false god/Devil, about a person who does this activity:

“He served, worshiped, or adored God; rendered to Him religious service, worship, or he obeyed God with humility or submissiveness; or rendered to Him humble, or submissive obedience: he approved what God did: the verb is used in these senses only when when the object is God, or a false god, or the Devil.”

http://www.tyndalearchive.com/TABS/Lane/
The above is one of the famous or the most famous Arabic-English Lexicon by the name:
"Edward William Lane's Arabic-English Lexicon (Dictionary)"

Regards

Its great that you are doing the research and going down to a good lexicon.

But you should also note that you are going backward trying to understand an English word "worship" from the Arabic "Ibadha" point of view. Instead, start from bottom up. Understand the Quran, understand the arabic in your own terms rather thinking from a translations point of view.

There is a huge difference and most of us are doing it the wrong way around.

Howard Is

Lucky Mud
Howard Is post #43
paarsurrey post #47:
"The word worship needs to be clarified."

It means receiving the impress of G-d’s attributes:
Quran Verse- 2:138
M. M. Pickthall
ir
"(We take our) colour from Allah, and who is better than Allah at colouring. We are His worshippers."
al-Baqarah 2:138
And G-d has all good attributes to get impress of them in one's self. Right, please?

Regards

Yes, but what do you do to receive the impress of attributes ?
What is your part in the process ?

Howard Is

Lucky Mud
G-d is Merciful and Benevolent*, so the impress of these attributes makes one kind and loving:

[1:1]بِسۡمِ اللّٰہِ الرَّحۡمٰنِ الرَّحِیۡمِ﴿۱﴾
In the name of Allah, the Gracious, the Merciful.
The Holy Quran - Chapter: 1: Al-Fatihah
Right, please?

Regards

Yes, but that does not explain what you are doing when you worship.
It is what you are doing which defines the meaning of the word worship, because worship is something you do.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Yes, but that does not explain what you are doing when you worship.
It is what you are doing which defines the meaning of the word worship, because worship is something you do.
Well, that is another important aspect and I appreciate that one asked about it. The worship is with deeds and words, with both of them exactly.
When we intend to offer Salat- the formal worship or Ibadah , first we have to perform Wadu:

"Wuḍūʾ (Arabic: الوضوء‎ al-wuḍūʼ [wʊˈdˤuːʔ]) is the Islamic procedure for cleansing parts of the body, a type of ritual purification, or ablution. Wudu involves washing the hands, mouth, nostrils, arms, head and feet with water and is an important part of ritual purity in Islam."
Wudu - Wikipedia
Right, please?

Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
How does one distinguish worship-related deeds and words from those that are not related to worship, @paarsurrey ?
The words of the Formal Prayer are fixed and are memorized by heart in the Arabic language,these were taught by Muhammad to the Muslims in his time and from him the Muslims have been memorizing them by heart generation after generation. Such acts/deeds are called Sunnah. Right, please?

A little question. Buddha taught about Mara. What is one's understanding of it, please?

Regards

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Doesn't Sunnah mean "traditions"?

Mara is a personification of the obstacles to enlightment as a whole, among them attachment to the sensuous world, unskillful emotions, and death.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Doesn't Sunnah mean "traditions"?

Mara is a personification of the obstacles to enlightment as a whole, among them attachment to the sensuous world, unskillful emotions, and death.
Hadiths are traditions collected 200/300 years after Muhammad. Sunnah always existed with Quran. The commandments that Muhammad received from G-d that required a demonstration by the Messenger and he demonstrated with periodical and continuous deeds and he set the Muslims on them as part of his duty, are called Sunnah. Right, please?

Regards

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Hadiths are traditions collected 200/300 years after Muhammad. Sunnah always existed with Quran. The commandments that Muhammad received from G-d that required a demonstration by the Messenger and he demonstrated with periodical and continuous deeds and he set the Muslims on them as part of his duty, are called Sunnah. Right, please?

Regards
It is your tradition. The concepts are yours to define. So yes, I must assume that they are correct by their own parameters.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
It is your tradition. The concepts are yours to define. So yes, I must assume that they are correct by their own parameters.
"Worship"

In the formal prayer or Salat, every Muslim recites Al-Fatihah at least 17 to 32 times daily:

"Al-Fatihah (Arabic: ٱلْفَاتِحَة‎, al-Fātiḥah, "The Opening" or "The Opener") is the first chapter (Surah) of the Quran. It is called Umm al-Kitab the 'Mother of the Book' according to the majority of the scholars,[1] and also believed to be a synthesis of the Quran.[2]

It is an obligatory part of the Islamic prayer (salāt),[3] recited at least 17 times during the five daily prayers. Its seven verses (āyāt) are a prayer for the guidance, lordship, and mercy of God.[4] Some Muslims interpret it as a reference to an implied ability of the surah to open a person to faith in God.[2]"
Al-Fatiha - Wikipedia

Al-Fatihah is also used "Religious Method/tool" to investigate into and to explore the systems of Quran- the Word of G-d as "Scientific Method" is used to explore and investigate into the systems of nature/universe by science.
The verse:
[1:5]اِیَّاکَ نَعۡبُدُ وَ اِیَّاکَ نَسۡتَعِیۡنُ ؕ﴿۵﴾
Thee alone do we worship and Thee alone do we implore for help.
The Holy Quran - Chapter: 1: Al-Fatihah
The word "نَعۡبُدُ" from triliteral root "ʿayn bā dāl " translated as "worship", its use in the Quran tells us as to what is worship in Islam, I understand.

Regards

Last edited:

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
"worship"

I said that Quran is a book of systems, rather because of its inner systems this Recitation/Quran is called a book.
It is ,therefore, always important to understand its verses from the reference to the context.
[1:5]اِیَّاکَ نَعۡبُدُ وَ اِیَّاکَ نَسۡتَعِیۡنُ ؕ﴿۵﴾
Thee alone do we worship and Thee alone do we implore for help.

We now try to understand rather demonstrate that Worship or Ibadah the triliteral root word ʿayn bā dāl used in " نَعۡبُدُ " in verse [1:5], its strong relationship with the verses, some preceding and some following of it.

The next verse is:
[1:6]اِہۡدِ نَا الصِّرَاطَ الۡمُسۡتَقِیۡمَ ۙ﴿۶﴾
Guide us in the right path

So the worship or Ibadah will mean to seek G-d's help:
  1. that we reach to the right path
  2. We adopt all possible measures to that end
  3. We are open heart/mind to any opportunity that could lead to the truthful right path wherever it is , and where-ever it comes from
  4. We don't do discrimination based on race, sex, color, religion, age, and physical or mental disability
  5. We are steadfast on the path of G-d or the right path
So while being on the right path we adopt all the above mentioned measures.
This is/will be the worship of G-d, and the help of G-d that we are seeking.
This is mentioned in the "ummul kitab" or Al-Fatihah- the "Key" or the "Opener", and also separately mentioned in Quran in several verses of Quran, I give one here:

[29:70]وَ الَّذِیۡنَ جَاہَدُوۡا فِیۡنَا لَنَہۡدِیَنَّہُمۡ سُبُلَنَا ؕ وَ اِنَّ اللّٰہَ لَمَعَ الۡمُحۡسِنِیۡنَ ﴿٪۷۰﴾
And as for those who strive in Our path — We will surely guide them in Our ways. And verily Allah is with those who do good.
The Holy Quran - Chapter: 29: Al-`Ankabut
Right, please?

Regards

Last edited:

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Friend @LuisDantas and other friends in the Forum!
I had knee-replacement surgery of my one knee a few days ago .I am at home but it will take a fortnight to resume my normal activities. I pray to G-d for my early recovery. Just to inform my friends, Please .
Regards