• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Extrospection in Abrahamic Belief Systems

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
do most abrahamic belief systems favor extrospection over introspection?

personally i think they do.

the following verse from a christian gospel even mentions it.

And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?

Axe Elf

Prophet

And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?

That verse seems to be promoting introspection over man's natural tendency toward extrospection.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

I dunno. It looks introspective to me considering that the "mote" is based upon personal introspection that defines what their version of "mote" is.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It's not just Abrahamic faiths, but Western thought in general. Neo-Atheists for instance look to science to tell them what is reality, not trusting the subjective as truly informative. That's just a continuation of looking for external truth in religion. God's Word, as external authority is replaced by Science as external authority. Same error, just a different suit of clothes.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
That verse seems to be promoting introspection over man's natural tendency toward extrospection.
yes, it does but that is what the speaker is attempting to convey to the audience.

the idea is hidden in the parable. just as it is in the cup washing parable. esoteric vs exoteric.

Axe Elf

Prophet
yes, it does but that is what the speaker is attempting to convey to the audience.

the idea is hidden in the parable. just as it is in the cup washing parable. esoteric vs exoteric.

I have no idea from your response if you are clinging to your error, or agreeing to my correction.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Nope, still nothing.

Are you maybe confusing extrospective with esoteric?

Oh well, perhaps I should let Proverbs 26:4 prevail here...
knowing something is not necessarily the same as understanding.

as a youngster, i knew a spanish word from a movie and used it to impress some spanish speaking kids. they were staying in my home while their parents had an appointment. later, one asked me not to use it, when their parents returned. turns out it was a spanish cuss word. i later found out that puerto ricans don't use that word for the same idea.

i understood.

these threads aren't personal; unless someone makes them so.

Last edited: