• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Extremist groups hijacking religion

JIMMY12345

If you want to raise hackles.Attack a national flag or ......a religious text.

"Clashes have taken place for four days in several Swedish cities"

It is predictable.A hard line extremist will deliberately and provocatively threaten to burn a sacred text. Every one knows it was pure bait to spark riots.Bait worked and riots ensured.How to avoid?

Suggestion:Hardliners need longer sentences and maybe as part of the sentence living with people they do not understand.This might be more beneficial than sitting in a cell for them.
The Police were in the line of fire.Religious leaders should warn there members that they are the elected religious representatives to raise grievance with the police and judicial system.Although there may be sympathy for why it happened.NO country can have cars burnt on streets and police being attacked.Religious leaders need to make clear rioting will also invite long sentences.
Both faces are unacceptable.

How do you think people should respond to avoid repetition?

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
If one buys a Bible and then destroys it publicly, they can do it, here.
It is a manifestation of the freedom of thought.

He owns that book, so he can do anything with it.

And this is valid for any religion. No privileges or double standards here.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
As you say it’s an act of provocation but it isn’t a crime in itself but this happens when a sudden large influx of immigrants with a totally different culture with no intent of integrating,easy targets for the far right.

In the lower house in France a bill is waiting to be passed to not allow religious symbols or facial veils in public,it wont make it through but the far right are unfortunately getting stronger.

The act of burning a Quran has even upset Iraq and Iran,maybe the best thing is to ignore it.

Paludan, who intends to stand in Swedish legislative elections in September but does not yet have the necessary number of signatures to secure his candidature, is currently on a "tour" of Sweden. He is visiting neighbourhoods with large Muslim populations where he wants to burn copies of the Koran. A lawyer and YouTuber, he has previously been convicted of racist insults.

In 2019, he burned a Koran wrapped in bacon and was blocked for a month by Facebook after a post conflating immigration and crime. On Saturday, one of his rallies was moved from a district of Landskrona to an isolated car park in southern Malmo, the large neighbouring city, but a car tried to force the protective barriers. The driver was arrested and Paludan then burned a Koran.

Take international news everywhere with you! Download the France 24 app

Hard Line's tour has sparked several clashes between the police and counter-protesters across the Scandinavian country in recent days. On Thursday and Friday, around 12 police officers were injured in the clashes.

In the wake of the string of incidents, Iraq's foreign ministry said it had summoned the Swedish chargé d'affaires in Baghdad Sunday. It warned that the affair could have "serious repercussions" on "relations between Sweden and Muslims in general, both Muslim and Arab countries and Muslim communities in Europe".

In November 2020, Paludan was arrested in France and deported. Five other activists were arrested in Belgium shortly after, accused of wanting to "spread hatred" by burning a Koran in Brussels.

(FRANCE 24 with AFP)

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
If one buys a Bible and then destroys it publicly, they can do it, here.
It is a manifestation of the freedom of thought.

He owns that book, so he can do anything with it.

And this is valid for any religion. No privileges or double standards here.

I agree, but you got your holy book wrong. A Koran was burnt by a right wing anti-immigrant group. One of the leaders did the same thing three years ago, but then he wrapped it in bacon first (a shocking wasted of bacon, I might have rioted too).

Swedish police arrest dozens after clashes at anti-immigrant rally

He was baiting the Muslims into attacking and it seems to have worked.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Nazis and fascists are trying to provoke mobs to enact some version of a "final solution" to the "Muslim problem". People of good will need to be united in the face of the evil-doers.

It is a pity that the Muslim immigrants did not see this for what it was. By retaliating they helped the far right bigots. The Korans that they destroyed did not hurt their own personal versions of that book.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I agree, but you got your holy book wrong. A Koran was burnt by a right wing anti-immigrant group. One of the leaders did the same thing three years ago, but then he wrapped it in bacon first (a shocking wasted of bacon, I might have rioted too).

Swedish police arrest dozens after clashes at anti-immigrant rally

He was baiting the Muslims into attacking and it seems to have worked.

I cannot see the logical nexus between a book and the people worshiping it.
We have so many atheists who write books saying how nonsensical the Bible is.
And someone even ripped it off, if I recall correctly.

What is wrong with that? It is way to protest against the content of a book. In public. It has nothing to do with Christians.
Do Christians feel targeted? No.

I would like to know why these people feel targeted, since they are not a book. They are people.

If an atheist says the Bible is nonsensical, I couldn't care less. Because this was not aimed at me. But at that book.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
If you want to raise hackles.Attack a national flag or ......a religious text.

"Clashes have taken place for four days in several Swedish cities"

It is predictable.A hard line extremist will deliberately and provocatively threaten to burn a sacred text. Every one knows it was pure bait to spark riots.Bait worked and riots ensured.How to avoid?

Suggestion:Hardliners need longer sentences and maybe as part of the sentence living with people they do not understand.This might be more beneficial than sitting in a cell for them.
The Police were in the line of fire.Religious leaders should warn there members that they are the elected religious representatives to raise grievance with the police and judicial system.Although there may be sympathy for why it happened.NO country can have cars burnt on streets and police being attacked.Religious leaders need to make clear rioting will also invite long sentences.
Both faces are unacceptable.

How do you think people should respond to avoid repetition?

Muslims are going to have to learn to accept the freedoms of Western culture if they want to live there.