• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Extra Books to the Bible and Trying to Blend Religions

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
If I were to start reading some of the uncanonized books where should I start?How should I approach these books from a historical non-biased scientific viewpoint?Also part of me is drawn to witchcraft particularly traditional and Wicca.But I disagree with the idea of relativism that tends to follow some of these beliefs and i know too little about them to try and syncretize them. And if I were i would have to ignore or blend teaches of both in a way that would make it make sense causing it to be neither Wicca nor Christianity.I am really afraid through to try and mix beliefs and try and find out more about my current faith.

Last edited:

Axe Elf

Prophet
https://www.amazon.com/Other-Bible-...id=1544891341&sr=8-1&keywords=the+other+bible

"The Other Bible gathers in one comprehensive volume ancient, esoteric holy texts from Judeo–Christian tradition that were excluded from the official canon of the Old and New Testaments, including the Gnostic Gospels, the Dead Sea Scrolls, the Kabbalah, and several more. The Other Bible provides a rare opportunity to discover the poetic and narrative riches of this long–suppressed literature and experience firsthand its visionary discourses on the nature of God, humanity, the spiritual life, the world around us, and infinite worlds beyond this one."

I tend to think that if God exists, He is powerful enough to see to it that the Bible contained everything He thought it needed to be a complete, standalone work. That said, as C.S. Lewis once remarked, if "every good and perfect gift comes from God," then ANY writing which is spiritually uplifting or enlightening must in some sense be inspired by God as well. That's how I approach the various texts that could have been in the Bible, but aren't. They may be useful, but not necessary.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
If I were to start reading some of the uncanonized books where should I start?How should I approach these books from a historical non-biased scientific viewpoint?Also part of me is drawn to witchcraft particularly traditional and Wicca.But I disagree with the idea of relativism that tends to follow some of these beliefs and i know too little about them to try and syncretize them. And if I were i would have to ignore or blend teaches of both in a way that would make it make sense causing it to be neither Wicca nor Christianity.I am really afraid through to try and mix beliefs and try and find out more about my current faith.

You might find the Christian Wicca DIR useful. There are a few resources in the sticky at the top of the page.

MJ Bailey

The Lost Books of the Bible and the Forgotten Books of Eden is an excellent addition to biblical uncanonized literature. There are several different "magics" that can extend from earth magics to biblical magics (The Keys of Solomon the King, and the Lost Art of Enochian Magic). (BTW, no matter your religion the Bible was translated by the Catholic church and many people were put to death for the translation, so really the KJV version is still only one church's authority of what should and should not be known of God.)

VoidCat

https://www.amazon.com/Other-Bible-...id=1544891341&sr=8-1&keywords=the+other+bible

"The Other Bible gathers in one comprehensive volume ancient, esoteric holy texts from Judeo–Christian tradition that were excluded from the official canon of the Old and New Testaments, including the Gnostic Gospels, the Dead Sea Scrolls, the Kabbalah, and several more. The Other Bible provides a rare opportunity to discover the poetic and narrative riches of this long–suppressed literature and experience firsthand its visionary discourses on the nature of God, humanity, the spiritual life, the world around us, and infinite worlds beyond this one."

I tend to think that if God exists, He is powerful enough to see to it that the Bible contained everything He thought it needed to be a complete, standalone work. That said, as C.S. Lewis once remarked, if "every good and perfect gift comes from God," then ANY writing which is spiritually uplifting or enlightening must in some sense be inspired by God as well. That's how I approach the various texts that could have been in the Bible, but aren't. They may be useful, but not necessary.
I didn't even want to celebrate Christmas this year but i think I'll be asking my grandma for that book...

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
.............I am really afraid through to try and mix beliefs and try and find out more about my current faith.

I did read the two books of Machabees to be of historical interest, but Not to regard them as Sacred Scripture.
The '66' books of Bible canon have cross-reference corresponding or parallel verses and passages throughout thus showing the internal harmony among all the Bible writers.
So, the 'apocryphal books' simply exclude themselves being out of harmony with the '66'.
To me then there is No reason to try to 'mix beliefs' in order to try to find out more about what is Not already recorded in the '66'.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
...... (BTW, no matter your religion the Bible was translated by the Catholic church and many people were put to death for the translation, so really the KJV version is still only one church's authority of what should and should not be known of God.)

Originally the Bible was Not written in English but translated from the Hebrew, Aramaic, and Greek, so to me that means neither the Catholic church Nor the Protestant King James version is what should or should Not be known of God. Rather, it is the ancient manuscripts that testify to what should be written.
Bible canon was established early on by those ancient manuscripts with those ancient manuscripts as being considered as reliable thus the ancient manuscripts gives us the '66' Bible books.
Those ancient manuscripts is what supports Bible canon.
The apocryphal books simply exclude themselves being out of harmony with the '66'.

True, the King James and others did try to sneak in some verses but they are Not supported by Scripture.
For example: Mark chapter 16 ends at Mark 16:8. The rest was added on but is exposed as false.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
I didn't even want to celebrate Christmas this year but i think I'll be asking my grandma for that book...

I find Jesus and his followers did Not celebrate what is now re-named as Christmas.
The only request Jesus gave as a memorial (memory) or him is found at Luke 22:19.
Jesus wants his followers to mark as a red-letter day on the calendar the day of his death, not birth.

VoidCat

I did read the two books of Machabees to be of historical interest, but Not to regard them as Sacred Scripture.
The '66' books of Bible canon have cross-reference corresponding or parallel verses and passages throughout thus showing the internal harmony among all the Bible writers.
So, the 'apocryphal books' simply exclude themselves being out of harmony with the '66'.
To me then there is No reason to try to 'mix beliefs' in order to try to find out more about what is Not already recorded in the '66'.
The uncanonize books have nothing to do with the reason I wanted to mix my beliefs.

VoidCat

I find Jesus and his followers did Not celebrate what is now re-named as Christmas.
The only request Jesus gave as a memorial (memory) or him is found at Luke 22:19.
Jesus wants his followers to mark as a red-letter day on the calendar the day of his death, not birth.
I don't want to celebrate christmas for various reasons and thats probably one of them.To me God should be commemorated in my life everyday not just one.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Maybe Jesus and His followers didn't, but 3 wise kings did.
Would you rather be a wise king, or an ignorant fisherman?

Since owning a fishing business is often a profitable business, how can such fishermen be ignorant _____
I'm Not even smart enough to run a ship or boat yet run a fishing business and I wonder if you ever did.
The three 'wise guys' that you mentioned are where in the Bible ______
In Scripture, those un-numbered visitors were magi or astrologers, but Not kings.
Seems highly unlikely to me that 3 men would be roaming around back then carrying gold, etc.
Caravans were comprised of more than 3 persons. 3 gifts do Not have to mean or equal 3 kings.
Since by the time those 'magi' found Jesus he was No babe in a manger scene, but a child in a house.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
I don't want to celebrate christmas for various reasons and thats probably one of them.To me God should be commemorated in my life everyday not just one.

Sure, I agree we are to love God daily, but as far as setting up a remembrance of Jesus, at Luke 22:19 was to set up a remembrance of his day of death according to what Jesus wants.

Axe Elf

Prophet
The three 'wise guys' that you mentioned are where in the Bible ______
In Scripture, those un-numbered visitors were magi or astrologers, but Not kings.
Seems highly unlikely to me that 3 men would be roaming around back then carrying gold, etc.
Caravans were comprised of more than 3 persons. 3 gifts do Not have to mean or equal 3 kings.
Since by the time those 'magi' found Jesus he was No babe in a manger scene, but a child in a house.

Picky, picky...

Last edited: