• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Extended Pi 4 review

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I happen to own multiple PCs. And I'm just really impressed with the Pi 4 as a desktop replacement. I would choose the 2GB Pi 4 with Raspbian over a PC which I own which has Windows 10, a Pentium N3700 processor with integrated graphics, 16GB RAM, and a 256GB SSD, yet still struggles to run much in way of programs.

The Pentium N3700 does have an advantage though. It can run games with better quality graphics, through the GPU. Meaning, technically the GPU is more powerful with the Pentium PC - though with the Pentium, you still only get 30 frames per second and no more frames per second than the Pi in most games, due to apparently the N3700 CPU bottlenecking things.

Windows 10 update sprees also have been known to take a hour each on the Pentium N3700. While forcing an update of everything on the Pi 4, takes under 5 minutes.

I have also tried a laptop with better single-thread performance than the N3700, a laptop with 4GB RAM, Windows 10 and a modern Celeron N4000 chip. There's no comparison, the Pi 4 seems to speed along faster at web performance, somehow. It feels like it's really proving itself a bit more useful than this $179 Celeron laptop.

What all this tells me is that things aren't always as black and white as the reading the numbers on certain limited benchmarks. For example, if you go by Geekbench 4 scores, the Pi 4 would probably score around 2600 points on a proper test, and the Celeron/Pentium processors mentioned tend to score upwards of 3200 points.

What I'm trying to say? I don't want to steer anyone down the wrong course, but in terms of overall responsiveness, I fathom that the Pi 4 *may* perform along the lines of say, something admirable like a very modern laptop Pentium like the N5000, or maybe a desktop Celeron processor.

I should still bring something else up though. The emulation software is too immature right now to really turn the Pi 4 into a better emulation box than the Pi 3B+, you at the very least will have less options compared to the 3B+. But the Pi 4 is a superior desktop replacement compared to older products it directly or indirectly competes with, like the Pi 3B+.

My review scores:

Pi 4 as a desktop replacement for programming, writing, and web browsing:

10/10

Pi 4 as a machine running natively programmed games for it:

8/10

Pi 4 as a emulation box:

5/10

Overall: 6.5/10

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Pic of my Pi - the case is much more clear and see-through than this actually, but lighting and reflections, I guess:

IMG_20190803_071452~2.jpg

Last edited:

Bob the Unbeliever

Cool. The potential to re-create older console games, including commercial stand-alone rigs is very high, based on your comments.

I know that the ROMs of these old 80's and 90's games are all over the place, if you look, as is the emulator software.

I have seen, the original DOOM (an X86 binary) running on a modern Android phone platform, using an emulation of DOS.

What sort of display protocols does the PI use?

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Cool. The potential to re-create older console games, including commercial stand-alone rigs is very high, based on your comments.

I know that the ROMs of these old 80's and 90's games are all over the place, if you look, as is the emulator software.

I have seen, the original DOOM (an X86 binary) running on a modern Android phone platform, using an emulation of DOS.

What sort of display protocols does the PI use?

For the Pi, you need a micro-HDMI to HDMI cable. You might want to Google that first though to make sure, as I often get "mini" and "micro" confused. It has two slots of such, I assume for up to two monitors.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
things aren't always as black and white as the reading the numbers on certain limited benchmarks

I assume the Pi 4 is running Linux? Because Linux is much more efficient than the bloated Windows 10 operating system.

We've taken old PCs (and Macs) that don't work well and loaded Linux (Ubuntu) on them and they're just fine.

Of course, there's software that does not run on Linux-based systems, but if you don't need that software, you're in good shape.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I assume the Pi 4 is running Linux? Because Linux is much more efficient than the bloated Windows 10 operating system.

We've taken old PCs (and Macs) that don't work well and loaded Linux (Ubuntu) on them and they're just fine.

Of course, there's software that does not run on Linux-based systems, but if you don't need that software, you're in good shape.

It runs what appears to be an optimized form of Linux Debian called "Raspbian".

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
For the Pi, you need a micro-HDMI to HDMI cable. You might want to Google that first though to make sure, as I often get "mini" and "micro" confused. It has two slots of such, I assume for up to two monitors.
How is its wifi ? I've had wifi stop working on two of the older raspberry pi's. I don't know why and haven't done a lot of troubleshooting, but its not a power issue and wifi does work for a while then stops. I'm not very handy with the wifi commandline controls. For whatever reason the wifi seems a little iffy. I am just wondering are you running this with wifi or with an ethernet cable?

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
How is its wifi ? I've had wifi stop working on two of the older raspberry pi's. I don't know why and haven't done a lot of troubleshooting, but its not a power issue and wifi does work for a while then stops. I'm not very handy with the wifi commandline controls. For whatever reason the wifi seems a little iffy. I am just wondering are you running this with wifi or with an ethernet cable?

I tried WiFi and it worked, but I don't want to say yet whether the WiFi is excellent, it's good enough that it does seem better so far than the WiFi of my $179 Celeron laptop. However, I tend to use an Ethernet port as I did seem to experience faster downloads with it instead of WiFi.

I need to test more before giving a definite answer.

Bob the Unbeliever

Me, being a geek at heart, and having built dozens of PC's since 1981, I had to find out the specs for a Pi 4

Found this.... from the specs I would be surprised if a USB-to-WiFi dongle did *not* work. May need a bit of fiddling, but I'd be darn surprised if even the fiddling hasn't been done already by someone, who's posted it out in the "wild".

Raspberry Pi 4 specs
  • SoC: Broadcom BCM2711B0 quad-core A72 (ARMv8-A) 64-bit @ 1.5GHz
  • GPU: Broadcom VideoCore VI
  • Networking: 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz 802.11b/g/n/ac wireless LAN
  • RAM: 1GB, 2GB, or 4GB LPDDR4 SDRAM
  • Bluetooth: Bluetooth 5.0, Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE)
  • GPIO: 40-pin GPIO header, populated
  • Storage: microSD
  • Ports: 2 × micro-HDMI 2.0, 3.5 mm analogue audio-video jack, 2 × USB 2.0, 2 × USB 3.0, Gigabit Ethernet, Camera Serial Interface (CSI), Display Serial Interface (DSI)
  • Dimensions: 88 mm × 58 mm × 19.5 mm, 46 g

Source: Raspberry Pi 4 specs and benchmarks - The MagPi Magazine

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Me, being a geek at heart, and having built dozens of PC's since 1981, I had to find out the specs for a Pi 4

Found this.... from the specs I would be surprised if a USB-to-WiFi dongle did *not* work. May need a bit of fiddling, but I'd be darn surprised if even the fiddling hasn't been done already by someone, who's posted it out in the "wild".

Raspberry Pi 4 specs
  • SoC: Broadcom BCM2711B0 quad-core A72 (ARMv8-A) 64-bit @ 1.5GHz
  • GPU: Broadcom VideoCore VI
  • Networking: 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz 802.11b/g/n/ac wireless LAN
  • RAM: 1GB, 2GB, or 4GB LPDDR4 SDRAM
  • Bluetooth: Bluetooth 5.0, Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE)
  • GPIO: 40-pin GPIO header, populated
  • Storage: microSD
  • Ports: 2 × micro-HDMI 2.0, 3.5 mm analogue audio-video jack, 2 × USB 2.0, 2 × USB 3.0, Gigabit Ethernet, Camera Serial Interface (CSI), Display Serial Interface (DSI)
  • Dimensions: 88 mm × 58 mm × 19.5 mm, 46 g

Source: Raspberry Pi 4 specs and benchmarks - The MagPi Magazine

The biggest, most notable bottleneck of Pi 4, in my opinion, is the GPU.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I should probably be careful to state that most of Pi 4's good speed comes from the tuned operating system and not the hardware, even though the hardware is a great improvement over the 3B+. However, say you bought a Windows laptop from the store and planned to install Linux on it - there's a good chance you can't or that it'll be very hard, and oftentimes you will spend all day tracking down a Linux driver for the laptop's WiFi connection.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I did some reading and research, and I can conclude that the GPU runs like an actual graphics card from the year 2006.

The CPU is much more modern though.