• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Exposing the Disturbing Beliefs of the Westboro Baptist Church

Rational Agnostic

I found this old YouTube video in which a teenage boy makes a call to the westboro baptist church. Now, I think nearly everyone on the forum disagrees with the beliefs and practices of this church, however, I did not realize just how loony these people are until I watched this video.

Some of their disturbing beliefs exposed in this video include the following:

-They are extremely racist white supremacists and believe that Jesus hated blacks and only healed white people
-They believe people with mental and physical disabilties are cursed by God because God knew they would perform evil acts in their lives if they were not disabled
-They believe Hitler was an angel and that Jews are cursed by God
-They support Hitler's suicide and believe he will be reincarnated

Needless to say, these are extremely disturbing beliefs, and I did not realize that the Westboro Baptist Church adhered to all of these. On a lighter, though still somewhat disturbing, note, the church leader on the phone was quite excited when the word "masturbation" was mentioned. This is probably the most excited he got during the entire conversation.

Overall, I learned quite a bit about the Westboro Baptist Church during this conversation. They are even loonier than I realized, and apparently they have branches in New York and Chicago, as well as their Kansas branch. I'm not sure who the dude on the phone was, given that he had a British accent and most of the members do not, but apparently, he was one of the leaders of the church.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I found this old YouTube video in which a teenage boy makes a call to the westboro baptist church. Now, I think nearly everyone on the forum disagrees with the beliefs and practices of this church, however, I did not realize just how loony these people are until I watched this video.

Some of their disturbing beliefs exposed in this video include the following:

-They are extremely racist white supremacists and believe that Jesus hated blacks and only healed white people
-They believe people with mental and physical disabilties are cursed by God because God knew they would perform evil acts in their lives if they were not disabled
-They believe Hitler was an angel and that Jews are cursed by God
-They support Hitler's suicide and believe he will be reincarnated

Needless to say, these are extremely disturbing beliefs, and I did not realize that the Westboro Baptist Church adhered to all of these. On a lighter, though still somewhat disturbing, note, the church leader on the phone was quite excited when the word "masturbation" was mentioned. This is probably the most excited he got during the entire conversation.

Overall, I learned quite a bit about the Westboro Baptist Church during this conversation. They are even loonier than I realized, and apparently they have branches in New York and Chicago, as well as their Kansas branch. I'm not sure who the dude on the phone was, given that he had a British accent and most of the members do not, but apparently, he was one of the leaders of the church.

I'm not one to defend Westborough ugh, but that actually isn't quite true on the race aspect of it. At least when Phelps was alive.

Phelps actually defended black people and represented them in court. It's probably the only good thing I can say about the man.

He's dead now, so it doesn't matter. Maybe it was his wacky family that turned racist since. Who knows?

I wouldn't put anything past them.

David1967

Premium Member
I'm pretty sure that's made up. That church has no branches. It consists of the Phelps family on Kansas. They certainly don't have accents like that. Kooky bunch for sure though.

Terry Sampson

Westboro Baptist Church
Westboro Baptist Church
Westboro Baptist Church (WBC) is arguably the most obnoxious and rabid hate group in America.
  • Background
    The Westboro Baptist Church (WBC) is made up of its leader, Pastor Fred Waldron Phelps, nine of his 13 children (the other four are estranged), their children and spouses, and a small number of other families and individuals. Phelps has maintained tight control over the group. His estranged son Nathan says the elder Phelps abused his children and his wife, cultivating an atmosphere of fear to maintain his authority.
Westboro Baptist Church - Wikipedia
  • Westboro Baptist Church (WBC) is an American church known for its use of inflammatory hate speech, especially against LGBT+ people, Catholics, Orthodox Christians, atheists, Muslims, Jews, and U.S. soldiers and politicians.[4][5] Multiple sources describe it as a hate group[6] and the WBC is monitored as such by the Anti-Defamation League and the Southern Poverty Law Center. The church has been involved in actions against gay people since at least 1991, when it sought a crackdown on homosexual activity at Gage Park six blocks northwest of the church.[7] In addition to conducting anti-gay protests at military funerals, the organization pickets celebrity funerals and public events.[8] Protests have also been held against Jews and Catholics, and some protests have included WBC members stomping on the American flag or flying the flag upside down on a flagpole. The church also has made statements such as "thank God for dead soldiers," "God blew up the troops," "thank God for 9/11," and "God hates America."[9] The church has faced several accusations of brainwashing[10][11][12] and has been criticised for resembling a cult.[13][14][15]
The Good News???
  • Fred Waldron Phelps Sr. (November 13, 1929 – March 19, 2014)

Last edited:

Rational Agnostic

I'm not one to defend Westborough ugh, but that actually isn't quite true on the race aspect of it. At least when Phelps was alive.

Phelps actually defended black people and represented them in court. It's probably the only good thing I can say about the man.

He's dead now, so it doesn't matter. Maybe it was his wacky family that turned racist since. Who knows?

I wouldn't put anything past them.

It's possible that he kept his racist beliefs out of his professional life, yet still adhered to them. Perhaps the guy speaking on the phone is the new pastor of the church.

Rational Agnostic

I'm pretty sure that's made up. That church has no branches. It consists of the Phelps family on Kansas. They certainly don't have accents like that. Kooky bunch for sure though.

How do you know it has no other branches? It is possible that that is information that is not typically disclosed. Perhaps the branches in Chicago and New York are less well-known. Or, it's also possible that the church originally had other branches, but closed all of them except for the Kansas branch. Keep in mind the video is 10 years old.