• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Exploration ~ David Bowie inspired art collection

Cooky

Veteran Member
David Bowie's art collection - Wikipedia

1965 Head of Gerda Boehm
20279865465_cb26a9fbd2_b.jpg

Last edited:

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I've no real opinions about Bowie's collection.
But I'm curious.

Why does it matter enough to start a thread? I don't get it.

I don't mean to sound judgemental, although I probably do. I don't care much about the personal lives of pop celebrities, but even the ones who's stuff I care about don't interest me on a personal level. Their investments and decor aren't why I care about them. It seems either intrusive or exploitative, or both, to take an interest.

There are people I'm a fan of, from Asimov to Obama to Streep. But I don't really want to know more about them than their public works.
Why does anyone?
Tom

Cooky

Veteran Member
I've no real opinions about Bowie's collection.
But I'm curious.

Why does it matter enough to start a thread? I don't get it.

I don't mean to sound judgemental, although I probably do. I don't care much about the personal lives of pop celebrities, but even the ones who's stuff I care about don't interest me on a personal level. Their investments and decor aren't why I care about them. It seems either intrusive or exploitative, or both, to take an interest.

There are people I'm a fan of, from Asimov to Obama to Streep. But I don't really want to know more about them than their public works.
Why does anyone?
Tom

I would say it's based on a yearning to see things from a new or different perspective. If I had to describe it, the word that comes to mind is "enlightenment", where seeing a connection, makes you think something totally new.

...Take for instance the second painting, Nude Descending a Staircase, you can see frame for frame, in a persons mind, being watched their every move... This mental snapshot of a feeling can take you somewhere else, like what it's like to wear a peculiar article of clothing, in plain view, and feeling everyone watching you.

I chose David Bowie, because he is an eccentric person. David Bowie was "weird", but was a well accomplished person who clearly saw things a different way. By viewing his art, or artworks similar to those he appreciated, we can open up new levels of thinking in our own minds, that can change us... Make us more experienced people. It's all a part of human growth and the celebration of a wide range of human thinking that one could only wish to experience the fullness of.

I hope that makes at least some sense. :oops:

Last edited:

Cooky

Veteran Member
I guess my goal in creating this thread is to invite others, and even encourage others to experience the *new*. By *new* I mean things you haven't thought before. At the same time, I am (secretly) hoping there is an expert who can put into words some of Bowie's favorite artworks like I attempted to do with Nude Descending a Staircase... Even if we're wrong, it might be fun to try to interpret these works. We might discover new things by doing it... New ways of thinking. Because Bowie was different:

Last edited: