• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Explain the basic differences between?

Hi Christian friends

Can someone explain basic differences between

1) Catholic Church
2) Protestant Church

I do not have much experience with Christianity. I have been to both but the government here wants control over religion so I do not know what I have been told is even true? The only thing I could tell is the way people singing in the two types of Christian church is different, but in terms of doctrine I need clarifications.

Me Myself

Back to my username
Something very important is that the lutheran church believes you can be saved through faith alone, while the catholic church says yu need both works and faith to be saved.

Something very important is that the lutheran church believes you can be saved through faith alone, while the catholic church says yu need both works and faith to be saved.

Me Myself, can you explain your meaning? I tried to look at Wikipedia but it is all very confusing at this point :sorry1:

Is the Lutheran church as the same with the Protestant? Here in China we have only two "official" churches: Catholic and Protestant which are supported/controled by the government.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
The Catholic church claims direct descent from the apostles.
However the Orthodox churches also claim that, as do Anglicans.

Most Churches have differences of belief...
It is not a straight choice between Catholic and Protestant.

If you Believe in God and the teachings of Jesus You are Christian

The denomination you should chose is more difficult
What country are you from? and which denominations are available to you?
If you live in a Muslim country Christianity is a very hard path to follow.

Why do you think you are Christian.?

I have Just seen you are from China...China has had Christian churches from the earliest days.
I would talk to other christians in your community and ask their advice.

Last edited:
Why do you think you are Christian.?

I am not really a Christian, but I have great interest in it.

I grew up without any religions but my parents are not definite atheist, did not prevent me from my curiosity. I read a Bible once that was given to me by a friend and I am inspired by the teachings of Jesus Christ.

I have Just seen you are from China...China has had Christian churches from the earliest days.
I would talk to other christians in your community and ask their advice.

Thank you, I have only known 2 or 3 other Chinese Christians, most of Christian people I know are foreign.
But I will try and talk with them and understand more.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Here are a few differences that came to my mind. I've tried to write them simply for you.

• Catholic Churches are generally much more traditional in their worship. Protestant churches vary from very traditional worship (High Church Anglicans, Anglo-Catholics, Methodists, Lutherans) to very modern (Pentecostal, Evangelical, Non-Denominational Churches, Low Church Anglicans).
  • Catholics tend to have more icons than Protestants and pray focusing on them. Protestants do not use icons, or have them only for aesthetic purposes.
  • Catholics hold Mary as a "perpetual virgin" (that is, she remained a virgin for her whole life). Protestants do not believe this.
  • Catholics generally have a lot of emphasis for Mary, including praying for her. Protestants do not, from my experience, but some may.
  • Generally, Catholic priests must be celibate, and they have ranks (deacons, priests, bishops, etc, to the Pope). Protestants priests are not required to be celibate; some Protestant churches accept female or homosexual priests. Many Protestant churches do not have "priests" as "mediators between laypeople and God" -- this is called "the priesthood of all believers".
  • Catholics believe you need to have faith in God and Jesus, and to act upon it. Protestants believe it is only faith you require, but good actions are a sign of faith.
  • Catholics also have "intercession of saints" -- praying to saints for things. Protestants do not and believe you can only pray to God/Jesus.
  • Catholics confess their sins to a priest. Protestants do not confess their sins to a priest; at least, not in the same way.
  • Catholics believe the eucharist to spiritually (not actually physically... I don't think?) become the body and blood of Jesus. Most Protestants believe it is symbolic.

Of course, this is only the tip of the iceberg -- there is much more, although generally the differences are quite minor.

Am I missing anything, or wrong on any accounts? I'll admit my experience with Catholicism is somewhat limited.

Sorry for my intrusion; I'll remove this if any members want it removing. :)

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Is the Lutheran church as the same with the Protestant? Here in China we have only two "official" churches: Catholic and Protestant which are supported/controled by the government.

Lutherans are one of many branches of Protestant churches.

Catholics tend to submit to the authority of the Vatican and the Pope, but Protestants split into smaller groups with greater independence all the time.

Doctrinary differences exist and may be very significant. Two Protestant churches are not necessarily in better speaking terms with each other than with Catholics.

As already pointed out, there are also Orthodox Christian churches and Anglicans, just to mention a few of the more widespread denominations. But Anglicans and Orthodox are somewhat ethnic in nature, while Catholics and Protestants tend to spread more freely.

Edited to add: much like Odion, I'm not a Christian, and will remove this if there are complaints.

Last edited:
Here are a few differences that came to my mind. I've tried to write them simply for you.

• Catholic Churches are generally much more traditional in their worship. Protestant churches vary from very traditional worship (High Church Anglicans, Anglo-Catholics, Methodists, Lutherans) to very modern (Pentecostal, Evangelical, Non-Denominational Churches, Low Church Anglicans).
  • Catholics tend to have more icons than Protestants and pray focusing on them. Protestants do not use icons, or have them only for aesthetic purposes.
  • Catholics hold Mary as a "perpetual virgin" (that is, she remained a virgin for her whole life). Protestants do not believe this.
  • Catholics generally have a lot of emphasis for Mary, including praying for her. Protestants do not, from my experience, but some may.
  • Generally, Catholic priests must be celibate, and they have ranks (deacons, priests, bishops, etc, to the Pope). Protestants priests are not required to be celibate; some Protestant churches accept female or homosexual priests. Many Protestant churches do not have "priests" as "mediators between laypeople and God" -- this is called "the priesthood of all believers".
  • Catholics believe you need to have faith in God and Jesus, and to act upon it. Protestants believe it is only faith you require, but good actions are a sign of faith.
  • Catholics also have "intercession of saints" -- praying to saints for things. Protestants do not and believe you can only pray to God/Jesus.
  • Catholics confess their sins to a priest. Protestants do not confess their sins to a priest; at least, not in the same way.
  • Catholics believe the eucharist to spiritually (not actually physically... I don't think?) become the body and blood of Jesus. Most Protestants believe it is symbolic.

Of course, this is only the tip of the iceberg -- there is much more, although generally the differences are quite minor.

Am I missing anything, or wrong on any accounts? I'll admit my experience with Catholicism is somewhat limited.

Sorry for my intrusion; I'll remove this if any members want it removing. :)

Thanks so much for ur infos! And for writing so much to explain to me.

I admit I am not knowledgable about these things.

I think if I became I Christian I would like to be a Protestant.

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
Hi Christian friends

1) Catholic Church
The Roman Catholic Church is a church that reaches back to the Apostles. Its beliefs and doctrines have changed and developed over the years, but it believes itself to be the one, true, original Church founded by Christ and the Apostles 2000 years ago.

Roman Catholicism believes that God is a Trinity (Father, Son and Holy Spirit; 3 Persons in one God; not three Gods, and not one God with schizophrenia, but three full, distinct persons united by one essence as one being), and believes that Jesus is both fully God and fully man in one Person (without mixing, separating or confusing the two natures)

Roman Catholicism also teaches that the Pope is infallible (incapable of error) when making statements about faith or morals. According to them, the Pope is also the head of the Church on Earth, and the Pope has complete authority over everyone in the Catholic Church.

2) Protestant Church
There is no one "Protestant Church." There are thousands and thousands of different Protestant denominations, each with their own take on Scripture, doctrine, worship and Christian living. Protestant denominations have split and divided for such trivial details as how many buttons should be on one's shirt, or whether instruments should be used in church services.

Some constants between most if not all Protestants are as follows:
-Sola Scriptura (Scripture Alone) : Most Protestants believe that the Bible alone is the source of all Christian doctrine, and reject the writings of the Apostles and the students of the Apostles that early Christians used to help in interpreting the Bible. This doctrine is the root cause of all Protestant divisions; since there is no objective way to prove one's interpretation of the Bible BY USING the Bible, groups that disagree with each other will simply part ways and form new denominations.

-Sola Fide (Faith Alone) : Most Protestants believe that their own works contribute absolutely nothing to their own salvation; Christians have no role in our getting saved. Christians do not earn their salvation, nor do they even cooperate with God in being saved. Since works accomplish nothing in their salvation in their worldview, Protestants believe that all they need to do is to have faith in God.

-Sola Gratia (Grace Alone) : Most Protestants believe that salvation is due entirely to God's grace alone. Not even the Christian's faith in God can compare to His grace.

Beyond these three doctrines, your mileage will vary. The spectrum of belief in Protestantism is incredibly diverse; even the basic viewpoints of why Jesus came, why He died, why He rose from the dead, and who God is, will all vary from one Protestant denomination to the other.

I do not have much experience with Christianity. I have been to both but the government here wants control over religion so I do not know what I have been told is even true? The only thing I could tell is the way people singing in the two types of Christian church is different, but in terms of doctrine I need clarifications.

If you find both Protestant Christianity and Roman Catholicism to be disagreeable, may I humbly suggest the Eastern Orthodox Church or the Oriental Orthodox Church? These two are very often overlooked, but their doctrine, faith and spirituality have remained essentially unchanged for 2000 years.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Hi Christian friends

1) Catholic Church
2) Protestant Church

the difference is really the papal authority. Protestantism is the result of christians who opposed the absolute authority of the Pope....they wanted to read the bible for themselves, the Popes always restricted the reading of the bible...they didnt even want laypeople to have access to the bible which is why they read it only in Latin ( a language no one else could understand)

So the scriptures are the authority in Protestantism, whereas in Catholicism, the Pope is the authority.

Thanks everyone for your kind replies.

I have visited a Catholic Church in Beijing, China in my spare time and I think their manner of worship is very soothing to the heart. Base on my observations Catholic is more like Traditional and Conservative, but Protestant gives more freedom to be oneself, in general.

But I am also intrigued by the Jesus story about salvation and grace. One thing that is confusing to me, why does the Christian God need to send Jesus and have him killed? If God can do anything why didn't he just forgive us our sins from Heaven, directly?

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
But I am also intrigued by the Jesus story about salvation and grace. One thing that is confusing to me, why does the Christian God need to send Jesus and have him killed? If God can do anything why didn't he just forgive us our sins from Heaven, directly?

the bible gives the answer to this question:

Adam was warned what would happen if he disobeyed Gods law...he was told he would die. The scripture below repeats what mankind already knew... sin would bring forth death.
Romans 6:23 "For the wages sin pays is death,..."

But then the scripture highlights how mankind would be freed from the penalty of sin....it goes on: "...
but the gift God gives is everlasting life by Christ Jesus our Lord"

So Jesus was sent to give his life to pay our debt. God has always been willing to forgive men their trespasses against his law, but he has never removed the penalty, which was stated to Adam at the beginning, namely death. But now that the debt for sin has been paid on our behalf, God will grant mankind 'everlasting life' in the near future. Not only will our sins be forgiven, but death will be permenantly removed from the human condition.
Revelation 21:4 “He will wipe out every tear from their eyes, and death will be no more, neither will mourning nor outcry nor pain be any more. The former things have passed away.”

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Thanks everyone for your kind replies.

I have visited a Catholic Church in Beijing, China in my spare time and I think their manner of worship is very soothing to the heart. Base on my observations Catholic is more like Traditional and Conservative, but Protestant gives more freedom to be oneself, in general.

That is an astonishingly good question from one new to Christianity.
And one I struggled with for very many years.
I now no longer believe in Salvation as it is usually understood.
It is based on the concept of original sin from the fable of Adam and Eve.
and the concept of Hell came from the Greeks early religious beliefs.

I now believe Jesus " the son of God" came to teach us a new understanding of God's love, that it was for everyone, not Just Jews. He taught how we should live our lives. Through his sacrifice he showed us how far we should be prepared to go if necessary. His whole story from Birth to Death is an ultimate example of faith in God.
Jesus is not about reward for faith. he is about doing right for the sake of God with out thought of any reward.

If we truly repent, God does forgive us our sins.

The answer from Pegg is at the other extreme of Christian belief ( as taught by the Jehovah witnesses) Though like me, the Witnesses are "Unitarian" In that they do not see God, Jesus and the Holy spirit as a single "Trinitarian " God. So like me they form a minority view of Christianity.

What I have written might confuse you, as it is not the way most Christians think.
But it does show that others have also thought about the question you raised.

Last edited:

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
You bring up a very good point, and I'm impressed that you've already sniffed out Substitutionary Atonement and Penal Substitution. ;)

If you want to learn more about what the original Christians believed, I'd suggest reading these 4 short links: Christus Victor, Moral Influence, Ransom Theory, and Recapitulation (<--this last one's REALLY short, lol)

Jesus didn't come and die to satisfy our debt to God. If you'll check out those Wikipedia articles, you'll see that both of those ideas were invented way after Jesus's time.

But, Jesus DID come to free us from slavery to sin and death. Pegg has already provided Romans 6:23, which is a fantastic verse. You may also like to read the context of that verse to get an even better idea of what it's saying.

Romans 6:12-23
12 Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body, that you should obey it in its lusts. 13 And do not present your members as instruments of unrighteousness to sin, but present yourselves to God as being alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness to God. 14 For sin shall not have dominion over you, for you are not under law but under grace.

15 What then? Shall we sin because we are not under law but under grace? Certainly not! 16 Do you not know that to whom you present yourselves slaves to obey, you are that one&#8217;s slaves whom you obey, whether of sin leading to death, or of obedience leading to righteousness? 17 But God be thanked that though you were slaves of sin, yet you obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine to which you were delivered. 18 And having been set free from sin, you became slaves of righteousness. 19 I speak in human terms because of the weakness of your flesh. For just as you presented your members as slaves of uncleanness, and of lawlessness leading to more lawlessness, so now present your members as slaves of righteousness for holiness.
20 For when you were slaves of sin, you were free in regard to righteousness. 21 What fruit did you have then in the things of which you are now ashamed? For the end of those things is death. 22 But now having been set free from sin, and having become slaves of God, you have your fruit to holiness, and the end, everlasting life. 23 For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

If you take a look at this, it's clear that Jesus died to free us from sin and death. But how exactly does that work? 1 Corinthians 15 has our answer:

20 But now Christ is risen from the dead, and has become the firstfruits of those who have fallen asleep. 21 For since by man came death, by Man also came the resurrection of the dead. 22 For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ all shall be made alive. 23 But each one in his own order: Christ the firstfruits, afterward those who are Christ&#8217;s at His coming. 24 Then comes the end, when He delivers the kingdom to God the Father, when He puts an end to all rule and all authority and power. 25 For He must reign till He has put all enemies under His feet. 26 The last enemy that will be destroyed is death. 27 For &#8220;He has put all things under His feet.&#8221;[a] But when He says &#8220;all things are put under Him,&#8221; it is evident that He who put all things under Him is excepted. 28 Now when all things are made subject to Him, then the Son Himself will also be subject to Him who put all things under Him, that God may be all in all.

. . .
Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; nor does corruption inherit incorruption. 51 Behold, I tell you a mystery: We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed&#8212; 52 in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed. 53 For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality. 54 So when this corruptible has put on incorruption, and this mortal has put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written: &#8220;Death is swallowed up in victory.&#8221;[g] 55 &#8220;O Death, where is your sting?[h]
O Hades, where is your victory?&#8221;[i]

56 The sting of death is sin, and the strength of sin is the law. 57 But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.
58 Therefore, my beloved brethren, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that your labor is not in vain in the Lord.

It is Christ's Resurrection that finally breaks the control of death and sin over us. His Crucifixion and Resurrection together ransom us from the power of sin and death, and Jesus stands victorious over both. Ephesians 2 elaborates upon this as well.

And you He made alive, who were dead in trespasses and sins, 2 in which you once walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience, 3 among whom also we all once conducted ourselves in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, just as the others.
4 But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, 5 even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved), 6 and raised us up together, and made us sit together in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, 7 that in the ages to come He might show the exceeding riches of His grace in His kindness toward us in Christ Jesus. 8 For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, 9 not of works, lest anyone should boast. 10 For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them.

So no, Jesus didn't really die to satisfy God's sense of justice or to pay a legal debt, but to free us and transform us, making us holy and making it so that we can draw near to God.

Last edited: