• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Explain how math is not a universal logic

Slapstick

Bees can make Hexagons when they create their honeycombs. Yet, most people probably don’t know what a hexagon is.

Explain how math and logic is something only humans are capable of discovering and understanding when these objects and phenomena are found in nature.

Edit: Added some Links

http://coloradobeekeepers.org/wp-con...athematics.pdf
Honey Bees Can Tell The Difference Between Different Numbers At A Glance
https://agdev.anr.udel.edu/maarec/ho...-organization/
Information Sheet 10, Honey Bees are Important Pollinators
https://sites.google.com/site/mybeep.../bees-and-math

Last edited:

Skwim

Veteran Member
Bees can make Hexagons when they create their honeycombs. Yet, most people probably don’t know what a hexagon is.

Explain how math and logic is something only humans are capable of discovering and understanding when these objects and phenomena are found in nature.
No.

NobodyYouKnow

Misanthropist
Mathematics in purest form is the 'language of God', it's just that scientists cannot speak it fluently enough yet.

Mathematics represents a concept...like musical notes on paper represent the most beautiful symphony to delight the senses.

In simplest form, all manner of nature can be thus defined.

Whenever I watch this video I am about to show you, I get all goosebumpy in a huge way because I know God is responsible for all this...I can see His dance in this...

Take it further, into the realms of the 'Golden Ratio' and sacred geometry and it will just blow everything away. I have had a few very nice experiences doing it:

[youtube]P0tLbl5LrJ8[/youtube]
The Fibonacci Sequence - YouTube

InformedIgnorance

Do you 'know' or believe?
Its a nice video and some elegant mathematical representations are possible of many phenomenon. Thats hardly surprising; since maths and geometry are related and geometry and physical things are related.

The naturalistic associations are wonderous, there is no need to pervert mathematics with psuedo religious associations.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

Math is indeed an universal logic. But that does not mean that all people must understand it, nor that those like bees that demonstrate it know anything of it.

Part of the reason why it is universal is in fact because it does not need to be validated by a sentient being.

Enai de a lukal

In what sense does a bee understand mathematics when it makes its honeycomb in a geometric pattern? :shrug:

NobodyYouKnow

Misanthropist
I am not too sure, after all, Hinduism gave us 'nothing'. :p

Seriously though. I am just totally awestruck, humbled and totally appreciative of all this and I don't know why...

I don't know why I get all emo when I see a very nice equation...but I do.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Mathematics in purest form is the 'language of God', it's just that scientists cannot speak it fluently enough yet.

Mathematics represents a concept...like musical notes on paper represent the most beautiful symphony to delight the senses.
I fail to see anything beautiful in the ratio of a circle's circumference to its diameter.
blogger-image--819298202.jpg
. . . . . . . . . . .

If mathematics is the "language of god" then why all this gibberish? He should have been able to construct the universe where pi = 3, or some other rational number.

NobodyYouKnow

Misanthropist
I fail to see anything beautiful in the ratio of a circle's circumference to its diameter.
. . . . . . . . . . .

If mathematics is the "language of god" then why all this gibberish? He should have been able to construct the universe where pi = 3, or some other rational number.
It isn't just the expression of Pi in numeric terms, but how the concept of Pi relates to what we understand about our known universe and the many permutations thereof.

This is the main reason why I have the Sri Yantra as my Avatar. It shows this in a representational form - I always preferred triangles over circles anyway. lol

[youtube]eYDwWbDhCEg[/youtube]
Ancient Knowledge Pt.2 Fibonacci Sequence, Golden Ratio, Phi in Nature, DNA, Fingerprint of God - YouTube

Slapstick

. . . . . . . . . . .

Actually that is human error and there was recently a person with savants who found a mathematical flaw with pi.

Parsimony

Why should humans be the only beings capable of discovering and understanding math and logic in the first place?

InformedIgnorance

Do you 'know' or believe?
Because thus far humans are the only entities known to be conscious (it is arguable that animals might be conscious yet we cannot detect it) - therefore to date it seems that humans are so far the only entities to which concepts like math are known to have meaning and have the capacity to be intentionally (whether consciously or subconsciously) leveraged for utility. It IS possible that other entities might either already have or one day develop such capabilities - but if so once again it seem inevitable that this can only arise through the development of consciousness.

Skwim

Veteran Member
NobodyYouKnow said:
It isn't just the expression of Pi in numeric terms, but how the concept of Pi relates to what we understand about our known universe and the many permutations thereof.
Yes, it is just the expression of Pi in numeric terms. If you have other concerns, fine, but they're not my concerns.

Actually that is human error and there was recently a person with savants who found a mathematical flaw with pi.
Well, let's hear more about this person with savants who found a mathematical flaw with pi.
307611images00.jpg

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member

It's was discovered years ago -- pre-internet dark ages, actually -- that bees make round cells rather than hexagonal cells. The cells turn into hexagons because they are squeezed together from all angles at once. Any group of round cells packed that way will form hexagons if they are malleable enough in the first place.

NobodyYouKnow

Misanthropist
If you have other concerns, fine, but they're not my concerns.
That's cool. Hardly anybody is in the same 'space' I am anyway, so it makes discussing things very difficult and gives me a migraine even trying...I have one now, but that's more due to reductionism. lol

Enai de a lukal

Because thus far humans are the only entities known to be conscious (it is arguable that animals might be conscious yet we cannot detect it) - therefore to date it seems that humans are so far the only entities to which concepts like math are known to have meaning and have the capacity to be intentionally (whether consciously or subconsciously) leveraged for utility. It IS possible that other entities might either already have or one day develop such capabilities - but if so once again it seem inevitable that this can only arise through the development of consciousness.
:yes:

Exactly. Mathematics involves understanding symbols, and manipulating them in certain ways according to given rules- both of which require some pretty sophisticated cognitive machinery, which makes understanding mathematics a pretty exclusive club.