• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Explain Grid Iron to me

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Right. So in terms of mindset, think of NFL a little more like cricket. The play is stop-start in nature, and that introduces a play-by-play tactical element to it. Seeing NFL like Aussie Rules (for example) just leads to frustration with the amount of play stoppages there are.

So...cricket mindset.

Next, the whole point of the offense is to gain 10 yards. They get 4 chances to do that (downs), and you'll often hear people talk about 'First and Ten', or 'Second and Three.
The first number is the down they are upto. The second is the number of yards they still need to get.
First and Ten means they are on their first down (chance) and have ten yards to go.
Second and Three means second down (chance) and three yards to go.

If they get to the 10 yards gained, they get a fresh set of downs, and start at First and Ten again. Those big pileups that happen in the middle of the field make more sense when you realise that sometimes (eg. Third and One) the offensive team is just trying to get one yard up the field so they can get a fresh set of downs.

They'll meander down the field, trying to do this over and over again, until eventually they get the ball over the end line, and score. (They can kick a field goal, somewhat similar to Rugby, which is worth less than a touchdown).

That's about it, really. They can only throw the ball forwards once in a play. Typically, that's the Quarterback heaving it to some receivers, but you'll see trick plays where they have others throw it, etc.
And of course, they can run the ball instead. They're also free to pass backwards whenever they want, but they won't typically flick it around like they do in Rugby. Turnovers are killers in NFL.

Oh...and if you throw it forwards to someone and they drop it, it's an incomplete play. The play is dead.

Because it's stop start in nature, the coaches are very heavily involved. Every play is basically a set play, and the quarterback yelling out numbers is him telling the rest of the offence what the play call is, and therefore where they should run/block, etc. The defense is then trying to read and react to that.
Ahh I see. Yeah probably wouldn’t be my thing.
I mean I’ll watch NRL, but I much prefer the faster pace of AFL. Although I watched a Union game the other night. That was…..like NRL’s weird sibling

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Ahh I see. Yeah probably wouldn’t be my thing.
I mean I’ll watch NRL, but I much prefer the faster pace of AFL. Although I watched a Union game the other night. That was…..like NRL’s weird sibling

Yeah...I'm AFL and basketball all the way. But the tactical elements of the NFL appeal to me, so I'll watch it more than League or Rugby (or even cricket, these days). Still...I'm into almost any sport, so saying 'I'll watch it' is kinda damning with faint praise.

As for Union...I lived for a couple of years in NZ, so am probably more used to watching Union at the pub with mates than League, to be honest.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Yeah...I'm AFL and basketball all the way. But the tactical elements of the NFL appeal to me, so I'll watch it more than League or Rugby (or even cricket, these days). Still...I'm into almost any sport, so saying 'I'll watch it' is kinda damning with faint praise.

As for Union...I lived for a couple of years in NZ, so am probably more used to watching Union at the pub with mates than League, to be honest.
I can understand that. My father was from Perth so almost out of sheer family loyalty I have to back AFL
I also have family in NZ so I sympathise with Union