• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Explain Grid Iron to me

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Guys. In the spirit of learning about different cultures
I want my American friends explain to me the game of grid iron.
In Australia I have to keep track of at least 3 different codes of football. Australian Football league (AFL) which is a variation of Gaelic Football mixed with an Aboriginal football game variant (possibly) National Rugby League (NRL) and the international Rugby Union. Soccer is optional
Each with their own rules and quirks.
I want to learn another
Explain Grid Iron to me

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
bunch of wusses using padding and helmets to keep from getting hurt!!

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
Australians have no trouble playing football without helmets and without murdering each other

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Australians have no trouble playing football without helmets and without murdering each other
To be fair some players do wear padded helmets of sort, to protect from head injuries. Nothing like in Grid Iron though

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
You ever seen grid iron tackles? All that padding and helmets only slightly reduce damages.
I think it gives a better understanding to think of the padding and helmets in American football more as weapons than as protection.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
In Australia I have to keep track of at least 3 different codes of football. Australian Football league (AFL) which is a variation of Gaelic Football mixed with an Aboriginal football game variant (possibly) National Rugby League (NRL) and the international Rugby Union. Soccer is optional
I want to learn another
Explain Grid Iron to me
American football is an adaptation of Canadian football, tweaked to have an extra down (to encourage more offense) and with a shrunken field (which itself was only because the Harvard campus didn't have room for a full-sized rugby pitch).

Really:

Comparison of American and Canadian football - Wikipedia

To be fair some players do wear padded helmets of sort, to protect from head injuries. Nothing like in Grid Iron though

Much as I used to mock the soft yanks for wearing helmets, pads and leggings. To be fair to them, it is a much more violent game.

Rugby is a game of tackles and the occasional big hit where you see who is about to hit you and rarely at full speed. American Football is a game of collisions often with the intent to injure where you are often blindsided by a giant human sprinting off a 20 meter run up.

If you are familiar with what is allowed and not allowed in rugby and the penalties for breaking these rules, you'll probably be quite shocked at some of the hits (not really tackles) in American Football.

Hitting someone from behind while they are 3 feet off the ground sending them spinning upside down to land on their head? Fine.

You'd probably get a 6 month ban in rugby for that.

You also might get penalised for knocking someone unconscious with your helmet, but then again, you might not.

I don't know how more people don't end up in wheelchairs.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I want to learn another
Explain Grid Iron to me

Seems to me to be like rugby but the players wear Kevlar armour

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
In American football, you have an offense. That offense's goal is to overcome the other team's defense. They can run the ball. They can do short passes or screens. They can do long passes and Hail Mary plays. They can do trick plays. You have 4 plays, or "downs". The shortest term goal is to get at least 10 yards positive offense every 3-4 downs or you might have to punt the ball to the other team.

But there are a lot more rules and situations than just that, too.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
If you're a bit more of a hands on learner, buying Madden for a video game console is an okay way to learn, but start with the tutorials. Also, you don't have to buy the latest Madden game to learn - you can get one that's a year or two old and it'll generally only cost $10.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
If they didn't use helmets and padding they'd murder each other. :p
There was a story "combat football" by Norman Spinrad about what happened when they lost all that padding and were permitted to slug each other as well. The teams after a time were not geographical but ideological. Can you imagine a MAGA vs BLM game with slugging allowed and guns and drugs in the stadium?

The story was before BLM etc, but that's what it was all about.