• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Experiencing Shiva

NobodyYouKnow

Misanthropist
Nandi The Bull - Shiva's Vehicle.

I thought I'd include a word about Nandi, because he has been of much use/help to me lately; so much so, I just couldn't leave him out of all this.

When we do Shiva Puja, we often overlook poor old Nandi just sitting there and we wonder what he represents and why should we worship him.

In 'human form', Nandi is the greatest devotee of Lord Siva. He is very wild and passionate which often spills over in his bhakti for Lord Siva...I can relate to this.

Siva is always having to restrain Nandi from outpourings of Bhakti...but Nandi cannot help it (I wouldn't be able to either). Nandi also gets Siva into trouble constantly by going off on his own to do things, thinking he is doing the right thing...yeah, stubborn and bull-headed, as Nandi is.

Shiva riding Nandi means Shiva has overcome/conquered His passion, both of the flesh and of the heart. Nandi is also Shiva's 'grounding force' though...Nandi is Shiva's 'rock' and keeps his passions and energies in check - Nandi keeps Shiva 'sane' and 'down to earth'.

Nandi also keeps Shiva informed and focused (on task) when He is outside Samadhi, Nandi is the guardian of Kailasha - nobody even gets near Shiva and Shakti without his say-so. Nobody!

Nandi judges whether you are worthy enough...whether your heart is pure enough to take the next step.

Nandi judges whether your Bhakti matches his and what your intentions are.

So, next time you worship Lord Shiva, pay a special respect to Nandi. I have included him in my prayers now because he has helped me through this.

Om Namah Shivay

Last edited:

NobodyYouKnow

Misanthropist
I have often had a theory...that crashes badly, when ever I try to come up with a 'Seven Deadly Sins' theory for Hinduism corresponding to the Divine Vahanas for each the Gods...

Are we at a loss here? Let me explain:

Lord Siva - Bull = Passion/Desire
Mother Durga - Lion/Tiger = Pride/Ego
Lord Ganesha - Rat/Mouse = Fear
Lord Murugan - Peacock = Vanity/Narcissism and Arrogance
Lord Brahma - Swan = Avidya, Ignorance and Intolerance (as evidenced by the opposite power of Viveka within Hamsa)
Mother Lakshmi - Elephant = Being stubborn, selfish and greedy. Thinking you are too important to get out of your own way.
Lord Vishnu = Garuda...and there's where my little theory falls totally apart. lol

Om Namah Shivay

NobodyYouKnow

Misanthropist
The relationship between Lord Siva and Nandi is a very interesting one to ponder...

*meanwhile, somewhere on Mt. Kailash...

Nandi: "I never tire of telling you how amazing and wonderful you are, my Lord."
Siva: "Yes, but I do tire of hearing it...I am God!, don't you think I already know how totally awesome, cool and amazing I am...and also how much you love me...?"
Nandi: "Pardon, my Lord, but if you already know how much I love You, then you'd also know why it is I constantly need to tell you so, even though I know you already know it...and you know all that too."
Shiva: "If you really believe that, why do you need Me around at all?"
Nandi: "It is my duty to bear the weight of the God who is the very essence of the Universe...where shall I find another such God"?
Shiva: "I am within your heart and you also know that, so start there".
Nandi: "Been there, done that, my Lord. That's what I am telling You. I love You, You love me...we both know we love each other...it seems our relationship has reached an impasse..."
Shiva: "Watch this space"

Om Namah Shivaya

Sb1995

Om Sai Ram
Om Vande Shambhu Umaapatim
Surgurum Vande Jagad KaaraNam
Vande Pannaga BhushaNam
Mrigadharam Vande Pashunaam Patim
Vande Surya Shashaak
Vahninayanam Vande Mukundapriyam
Vande Bhakta Janaashrayan Chavardham
Vande Shivam Shankaram

OM NAMAH SHIVAYA
HAR HAR MAHADEV.

I LOVE YOU SHIVJI

NobodyYouKnow

Misanthropist
Om Vande Shambhu Umaapatim
Surgurum Vande Jagad KaaraNam
Vande Pannaga BhushaNam
Mrigadharam Vande Pashunaam Patim
Vande Surya Shashaak
Vahninayanam Vande Mukundapriyam
Vande Bhakta Janaashrayan Chavardham
Vande Shivam Shankaram

OM NAMAH SHIVAYA
HAR HAR MAHADEV.

I LOVE YOU SHIVJI
That's so wonderful! Amazing!

I love Him too...in fact, I've been walking around for the past few days totally lost in Shiva-love.

It's really, really nice and all, but I'd like my life back now for a little while...please...lol

Om Namah Shivay

NobodyYouKnow

Misanthropist
I shall return when somebody makes another thread about Lord Shiva or posts on this one.

Meanwhile, I should go and see a doctor about putting me on Lithium...the God highs are very high, but the lows feel like the bottom has just dropped out of the universe...(maybe if I was put on medication, I wouldn't need religion or God to fill that void anymore - I can become an emotionless robot).

So, until somebody posts a thread I actually know anything about - i.e any thread about Siva, Yoga or Tantra, there's not much I can discuss on here.

One of the things about being totally knowledgable in one area, means that you have sacrificed knowing anything else...when it comes to knowing anything else besides Siva, I am totally stupid and dumb...I am still trying to work out whether that is a 'good thing' or a 'bad thing'.

I am still trying to work out if I need other people, when Siva is all that I need...

So until I do that...until I find out whether all this is just a 'psychological aberration' which can be cured through medication so I can go about living a god-less normal life, I am off.

Om Namah Shivaya.

Last edited:

Jaskaran Singh

Divosūnupriyaḥ
The relationship between Lord Siva and Nandi is a very interesting one to ponder...

*meanwhile, somewhere on Mt. Kailash...

Nandi: "I never tire of telling you how amazing and wonderful you are, my Lord."
Siva: "Yes, but I do tire of hearing it...I am God!, don't you think I already know how totally awesome, cool and amazing I am...and also how much you love me...?"
Nandi: "Pardon, my Lord, but if you already know how much I love You, then you'd also know why it is I constantly need to tell you so, even though I know you already know it...and you know all that too."
Shiva: "If you really believe that, why do you need Me around at all?"
Nandi: "It is my duty to bear the weight of the God who is the very essence of the Universe...where shall I find another such God"?
Shiva: "I am within your heart and you also know that, so start there".
Nandi: "Been there, done that, my Lord. That's what I am telling You. I love You, You love me...we both know we love each other...it seems our relationship has reached an impasse..."
Shiva: "Watch this space"

Om Namah Shivaya
Haha, that made me laugh. Frubals coming your way.
NobodyYouKnow said:
I have often had a theory...that crashes badly, when ever I try to come up with a 'Seven Deadly Sins' theory for Hinduism corresponding to the Divine Vahanas for each the Gods...

Are we at a loss here? Let me explain:

Lord Siva - Bull = Passion/Desire
Mother Durga - Lion/Tiger = Pride/Ego
Lord Ganesha - Rat/Mouse = Fear
Lord Murugan - Peacock = Vanity/Narcissism and Arrogance
Lord Brahma - Swan = Avidya, Ignorance and Intolerance (as evidenced by the opposite power of Viveka within Hamsa)
Mother Lakshmi - Elephant = Being stubborn, selfish and greedy. Thinking you are too important to get out of your own way.
Lord Vishnu = Garuda...and there's where my little theory falls totally apart. lol
I hate when people think that garuDa is shrIviShNu's vAhanam rather than Adi sheSha, don't you know the story of chirupuliyur? Just joking. Anyway, here's a nice bhajan:
[youtube]3xjCjfDOw_U[/youtube]