1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Experiencing God

Discussion in 'General Religious Debates' started by Sonofason, Oct 20, 2014.

1. psychoslice

psychoslice Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +4,124
    Religion:
    my own religion
    If you want to use the word god, then I say there is only one God, and we are that one God, we cannot be anything else, and anything else that we believe we are, is just an illusion.

2. Nakosis

Nakosis Time Efficient Lollygagger
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +12,020
    Religion:
    Scientism
  3. idav

idav Being
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +3,301
    Religion:
    Pantheist
  4. Willamena

Willamena Just me
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6,831
    Religion:
    Mystics
    That's because pearls are hard to walk on.

5. psychoslice

Ratings:
    +4,124
    Religion:
    my own religion
    I think it means pearls are to valuable to be given to those who don't know the value, in this case, the truth.

6. Willamena

Willamena Just me
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6,831
    Religion:
    Mystics
    But they're also hard to walk on. I might tear someone to pieces if I was a swine made to walk on pearls, too.

7. psychoslice

Ratings:
    +4,124
    Religion:
    my own religion
    yes I see, the swine was also believed to be an unclean animal, so those who are dirty in sin are not worthy to listen to the truth, it would be a wast of time, but I do see what you are saying and I suppose that's another way of looking at it.

8. roger1440

roger1440 I do stuff

Ratings:
    +970
    Religion:
    Christian
    We tend to experience reality threw the system of our beliefs. The beliefs many times reinforce the validity of the experience. The experience is therefore seen threw the veil of what we believe to be true. This same veil hinders our vision.

9. psychoslice

Ratings:
    +4,124
    Religion:
    my own religion
    Yes that is true, and that is why I don't have beliefs, truth is forever flowing, by continuing to flow we don't allow a veil to arise, for everyday is knew, this is what its means to die daily.

10. Muffled

Muffled Jesus in me

Ratings:
    +1,743
    Religion:
    Christian
    I agree wholeheartedly.

I believe that is my experience also and I would add that I did not elicit an experience or expect one, so the experience was completely God's idea. I did expect God to answer me because He had also answered me at age thirteen. At age thirteen I expected God to answer because from my meager understanding of God from the Bible, He was supposed to help people in need.

I believe I felt sure because of the experiences but the thing that made me absolutely sure was when He gave me a prophecy that came true.

11. Muffled

Muffled Jesus in me

Ratings:
    +1,743
    Religion:
    Christian
    It seems to me the experience in the woods was an answer to prayer, so I wonder why there is an effort to disassociate the two events since they appear to be connected?

12. Muffled

Muffled Jesus in me

Ratings:
    +1,743
    Religion:
    Christian
    I beleive God is always attentive. I called on God to answer me because I had a need.

I believe that a seed sown has an opportunity to grow. So a general message is encountered by many people with different reactions to it. If I am talking personally to someone who can only respond with nya nya nya nya nya, then I don't bother trying to talk sense to the person. At some point sometimes it becomes clear that a person just wants to argue that he is right and that becomes a waste of time although I have to admit I enjoy a good argument. The bad arguments drive me nuts.

13. Gnostic Seeker

Gnostic Seeker Spiritual

Ratings:
    +159
    Religion:
    Unitarian Universalist/All
    How can it all be in the head even when someone cleanses the mind of all attachment in meditation, yet a serene seeming emptiness is still percieving? Empty to us because its free of all the distractions we surround ourselves with.

14. Monk Of Reason

Monk Of Reason ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Ratings:
    +1,231
    Religion:
    Pragmatic
    Because later in life I have found that I can experience this independent of god. It wasn't till that happened that I lost belief in god.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Sonofason

Sonofason Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +460
    It's what I said, isn't it?

I will not be ridiculed by the likes of an atheist with regard to my experiences of God. I know very well that God will stand behind me not sharing my experiences of Him with non-believers, as it is God's Son who has commanded me to not share my pearls with swine. By not sharing my experiences with you, I am obeying God.

If you thought there was a remote chance that God exists, you would and should be very afraid.

16. Sonofason

Ratings:
    +460
    You didn't answer the question.

17. Sonofason

Ratings:
    +460
    And I say, you can believe anything you feel compelled to believe. People believe lots of things about God. And none of those beliefs are necessarily accurate descriptions of what God is.

18. Sonofason

Ratings:
    +460
    Of course, and so they get mad that you have made it difficult for them to walk, and therefore they turn and tear you to pieces.

19. Triumphant_Loser

Triumphant_Loser Libertarian Egalitarian

Ratings:
    +217
    Religion:
    Deism
    And the same goes for you as well, correct?

20. FearGod

FearGod Freedom Of Mind

Ratings:
    +2,052
    Religion:
    Human
    Who was he ?
    The father or the son.