• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Experiencing God

Cephus

Relentlessly Rational
I do not believe I was mistaken. It is possible that you are mistaken.

It is certainly possible, but how do we make that determination? We look for evidence and we evaluate the claims made critically and objectively. Which one do you think is going to stand up?

I believe I know that I am not delusional.

How would you know that? How do you test it? Do you think crazy people are aware that they are crazy?

I believe all things turned out to be true so there was no deception.

No, that just means that you were deceived.

Here it is for you to evaluate:
The Holy Spirit came to me on Saturday night saying that they slipped something in. On that Sunday morning the confession was being given as usual but at the end "in the name of Jesus" was slipped in when it never had been before.
This is something that Jesus took exception to because it suggested that He was responsible for a person sinning when in fact He is the savior from sin.

That's called confirmation bias. Going by your description here, the prediction was incredibly vague. It doesn't say what will be slipped in, when it will be slipped in, who will slip it in or anything else. Eventually, somewhere, something will happen that will confirm your preconceived notions and you can proclaim that it was right. If it never happens, you never stop looking and can never conclude that it was wrong, it just hadn't happened yet. These predictions never take the form of "on this date at this time, this specific unexpected thing that cannot be random chance will happen", such that you can reveal this to others and we can all see if this event actually takes place. These predictions are not at all impressive because it's up to your personal interpretation to decide if it happens and we have to trust that you're telling the truth about the prediction in the first place.

Muffled

Jesus in me

It is certainly possible, but how do we make that determination? We look for evidence and we evaluate the claims made critically and objectively. Which one do you think is going to stand up?

I beleive mine will because you have not done so.

How would you know that? How do you test it? Do you think crazy people are aware that they are crazy?

I believe it is because I have had delusions and recognize one when I see one. I believe according to the definitions I would not be considered crazy by a professional and my experience is that most people with mental lproblems do recognize that they have mental problems although they might not be aware as to what the source of those problems could be. I believe most delusional people have trouble discerning that they are delusional until they reach clarity.

No, that just means that you were deceived.

I believe you are delusional if you think a lack of deception means decption.

That's called confirmation bias. Going by your description here, the prediction was incredibly vague. It doesn't say what will be slipped in, when it will be slipped in, who will slip it in or anything else. Eventually, somewhere, something will happen that will confirm your preconceived notions and you can proclaim that it was right. If it never happens, you never stop looking and can never conclude that it was wrong, it just hadn't happened yet. These predictions never take the form of "on this date at this time, this specific unexpected thing that cannot be random chance will happen", such that you can reveal this to others and we can all see if this event actually takes place. These predictions are not at all impressive because it's up to your personal interpretation to decide if it happens and we have to trust that you're telling the truth about the prediction in the first place.

I don't believe that to be true.

I believe it was informative enough to be easily recognized so it is difficult for me to see why you think it vague.

I beleive tt was not necessary for Him say those things. He knew I would readily recognize it and in addition to that since the Holy Spirit is always with me He was there to point it out in case I missed it.

I believe this was a one time occurrence and that I had no preconceived notions.

I beleive this was personal prophecy not community prophecy.

I believe a logical asseessment would show that it is not a matter of personal interpretation.

I believe one must have a reason to lie and I do not. I speak the truth because the truth (Jesus) is in me.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I believe you are saying that it is possible that I am lieing. I am the way the truth and the life; there is no attempt to deceive as satan would.

It's subjectively true, and I think you're and anyone else is going to have to accept that's is about as far as it is going to go. Up to you to examine and decide whether to question the experience or not.

You can always question your own experiences, I do that a lot. I don't know if there is any real benefit in doing so.

Sometimes a person will fill in the gaps in understanding the experience with an explanation and that explanation ends up becoming part of the experience. So I question that explanation sometimes. Then what are you going to do? Accept someone else's explanation for the experience? You being the experiencer would probably be the best person to answer that.

The experience had meaning for you. Maybe that's the only thing which is important. Not convincing someone else of the experience. There's a place for objective truth, but there is also a place for subjective truth. I think is a good thing to accept there is a difference between the two.

Cephus

Relentlessly Rational
I don't believe that to be true.

I believe it was informative enough to be easily recognized so it is difficult for me to see why you think it vague.

I beleive tt was not necessary for Him say those things. He knew I would readily recognize it and in addition to that since the Holy Spirit is always with me He was there to point it out in case I missed it.

I believe this was a one time occurrence and that I had no preconceived notions.

I beleive this was personal prophecy not community prophecy.

I believe a logical asseessment would show that it is not a matter of personal interpretation.

I believe one must have a reason to lie and I do not. I speak the truth because the truth (Jesus) is in me.

All you keep doing is saying what you believe, not how you verified any of these things as actually true. I'm not interested in what you believe, people believe in all kinds of absurd things, I'm interested in what you can prove. Without that, your beliefs are no more valid than people who believe in Santa Claus or the Loch Ness Monster.

Muffled

Jesus in me
All you keep doing is saying what you believe, not how you verified any of these things as actually true. I'm not interested in what you believe, people believe in all kinds of absurd things, I'm interested in what you can prove. Without that, your beliefs are no more valid than people who believe in Santa Claus or the Loch Ness Monster.

Please excuse me for that. I believe RF tells me I can onlly believe things, that I can't really know anything.

I believe I have been telling you that.

I believe what others do has no bearing on what I do.

I believe that neither Santa Claus nor the Loch Ness Monster have provided a prophecy that came true.

Cephus

Relentlessly Rational
Please excuse me for that. I believe RF tells me I can onlly believe things, that I can't really know anything.

I believe I have been telling you that.

I believe what others do has no bearing on what I do.

I believe that neither Santa Claus nor the Loch Ness Monster have provided a prophecy that came true.

Nor has Christianity or any other religion. They've made vague predictions, not anything that provides specificity. When you can come up with a Biblical prophecy that lists dates, times and specifics, let me know. Otherwise, it's no more impressive than the things Nostradamus or your run-of-the-mill psychics say.

Muffled

Jesus in me
How do you know that? Carlin was raised Catholic.

I haven't met many Catholics who had an experience with God. Maybe the one who went to the oracle on Long Island, NY but I couldn't confirm that as an experience at the time but it might have been.

I know it by his testimony that God doesn't exist. How can one have an experience with God if one does not believe it is possible?

Cephus

Relentlessly Rational
I haven't met many Catholics who had an experience with God. Maybe the one who went to the oracle on Long Island, NY but I couldn't confirm that as an experience at the time but it might have been.

I know it by his testimony that God doesn't exist. How can one have an experience with God if one does not believe it is possible?

Because one can be convinced they had an experience with God, but later realize that it wasn't really the case. Or do you think people don't make mistakes?

Muffled

Jesus in me
Because one can be convinced they had an experience with God, but later realize that it wasn't really the case. Or do you think people don't make mistakes?

I beleive if you were referring to Carlin it would be possible for him to make a mistake but if it was a misatke then he never had an experience of God and the result is the same.

Muffled

Jesus in me
I believe this also qualifies as an experience of God. I remembered it when I was asked to write an anecdote from my life for my class get together.

I repsonded to a call to become a counselor for a Billy Graham Crusade in Boston, MA. I went for practice at the Boston University football field where the crusade was being held but found parking difficult. When I learned the AOG church ws running a bus to the crusade, I joined to avoid the parking problemns. The custom was to sing Hymns was kept every day of that week and I certainly become more spiritually aware during the singing. On Wednesday of that week I had a vision of a giant hand coming down from the sky and planting a gigantic cross on the field. The spirit interpeted that for me to mean that Billy Graham would preach on the cross. That very night and no other night that week, Billy Graham preached on the cross.

Cephus

Relentlessly Rational
I beleive if you were referring to Carlin it would be possible for him to make a mistake but if it was a misatke then he never had an experience of God and the result is the same.

You can't prove you ever had an experience with God either. Lots of people make that claim, they have no evidence that it actually happened. You just don't want to admit that they might be wrong.

BenTheBeliever

I am amazed that so many believers that have had "spiritual" experiences won't share their experiences with others. It ought not surprise me however, as I too have had "spiritual" experiences that I just will not share with anyone. I gather that the telling of such experiences puts one at risk of throwing one's pearls to the swine.

My experience of God has actually brought me to a point where I no longer require faith to believe in God. I am absolutely certain of his existence and presence in my life.

So I guess that leaves me with a question for those who have had God experiences. What do you think it was that you did which enabled you to experience what you experienced? What did you do to invoke God's attention?

I did nothing. I have had experiences my whole life. I truly believe we experence God cause God loves to brag and shine over our lifes. I have always had a father and son realtionship with Christ. I believe when we let him in things begin to happen and we see God move in our behalf.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
I did nothing. I have had experiences my whole life. I truly believe we experence God cause God loves to brag and shine over our lifes. I have always had a father and son realtionship with Christ. I believe when we let him in things begin to happen and we see God move in our behalf.

My Muslim friend says the same about Allah. Do you think he is deluding himself?

Ciao

- viole

BenTheBeliever

I believe this also qualifies as an experience of God. I remembered it when I was asked to write an anecdote from my life for my class get together.

I repsonded to a call to become a counselor for a Billy Graham Crusade in Boston, MA. I went for practice at the Boston University football field where the crusade was being held but found parking difficult. When I learned the AOG church ws running a bus to the crusade, I joined to avoid the parking problemns. The custom was to sing Hymns was kept every day of that week and I certainly become more spiritually aware during the singing. On Wednesday of that week I had a vision of a giant hand coming down from the sky and planting a gigantic cross on the field. The spirit interpeted that for me to mean that Billy Graham would preach on the cross. That very night and no other night that week, Billy Graham preached on the cross.
Amen. I had a vision come to pass a few years back. I used to work for a retail store. I had a dream that on my birthday my mom and we were sitting on the stage at church and people were praying over us and my mom had tears in her eyes. I did not understand it. Will my birthday came and pass and nothing happen and the next week we had a big sake at my job and I had to work in it. I was normally off on weekends cause I was the day time bag boy. But this time I had to I had my mom ex pick me up and take my church right as it start right from work and I got there and my pastor was lead by the spirit and he asked if anyone in the church were dealing with money issues to raise their hands. My mom and I are dealing with it real bad at the time. There was about seven of us out of around 500. He had us come up to the front of the stage and sit down. He had us close our eyes and he had people come up and pray over us. It happen just like the vision I had. He then admitted he felt the holy ghost telling him to do that the weekend before but he chose not to do it and instead preached on what he had written out already. The church ended up giving us over 500 dollars each that night. The vision I had had come to pass.