• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

experience vs. expectation, two things hinged on each other

amorphous_constellation

This is something I was thinking a bit about yesterday, and it seemed like I was on the verge of having some kind of semi-important realization about the interplay between these two things, but I don't really think I totally got there.. but

Roughly, I can see that these two things seem to be at the core of the engine of motivation. Expectation, to me, is a wall that I keep continually building throughout my life. The older I get, the less 'experience' is able to vault the wall. Of the experience that does manage to the central desk at my core, it is quite diluted and processed by its journey through the wall.

Expectation I think, can become the heaviest filter for one's reality. It is like a vast suite of software that we build throughout or lives, to filter each moment of experience and time around the core. How do we know that it tells the truth? How do we know it makes us rightly fascinated in things? How do we know that it makes bored by things are actually boring?

Expectation can not be altered without affecting experience in novel ways, for what you previously filtered out is then allowed in. Perhaps in bypassing most of one's expectation, life or reality become less 'heavy,' and experience becomes more raw or real. One thinks less about what they think they will feel in the future, and about what they had thought in the past

I don't know ... any thoughts?

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
I am not understanding your view on expectation. I see expectation as something of a belief. A set of accomplishes I wish to see in the future not a physical thing that I can't change. Experience is physical knowledge or activity that is set and I learned from it. If you could define your view of expectation.

amorphous_constellation

I am not understanding your view on expectation. I see expectation as something of a belief. A set of accomplishes I wish to see in the future not a physical thing that I can't change. Experience is physical knowledge or activity that is set and I learned from it. If you could define your view of expectation.

I guess I also see it as a sort of belief, so you seem to understand that much. However, experience always enters through the door of expectation - it doesn't go around it. Experience I see as a process, it is the stream of activity from the external world into your internal world. Perhaps my understanding of experience differs slightly from you, or perhaps it is how I see these things organizing themselves

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
This is something I was thinking a bit about yesterday, and it seemed like I was on the verge of having some kind of semi-important realization about the interplay between these two things, but I don't really think I totally got there.. but

Roughly, I can see that these two things seem to be at the core of the engine of motivation. Expectation, to me, is a wall that I keep continually building throughout my life. The older I get, the less 'experience' is able to vault the wall. Of the experience that does manage to the central desk at my core, it is quite diluted and processed by its journey through the wall.

Expectation I think, can become the heaviest filter for one's reality. It is like a vast suite of software that we build throughout or lives, to filter each moment of experience and time around the core. How do we know that it tells the truth? How do we know it makes us rightly fascinated in things? How do we know that it makes bored by things are actually boring?

Expectation can not be altered without affecting experience in novel ways, for what you previously filtered out is then allowed in. Perhaps in bypassing most of one's expectation, life or reality become less 'heavy,' and experience becomes more raw or real. One thinks less about what they think they will feel in the future, and about what they had thought in the past

I don't know ... any thoughts?
Experience builds expectation: it teaches us that all swans are white, so we expect that the next swan we meet will be white. Then we meet the black one. (David Hume)

Expectation never tells the truth, just what we want to hear.

amorphous_constellation

Experience builds expectation: it teaches us that all swans are white, so we expect that the next swan we meet will be white. Then we meet the black one. (David Hume)

Expectation never tells the truth, just what we want to hear.

I think experience builds some expectation, but then we go and eventually build more of it. The human ego is part of it as well

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
I don't see expectation as a wall or filter, so much as a mistake. Like illusion, once you recognize expectation, it has no power of you. You may have expected one thing and got another, but in knowing that your expectation was false, you have the power.