• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Experiance with psychic powers?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I don't like the term "psychic," much less the phrase "psychic powers."

That said, I have certainly (if not routinely) had experiences that some would label with those terms. Pretty much anyone who engages in journeywork, energy work, meditation, and/or divination as often as I do could be described as engaging in "psychic" practices. Calling it that, though, presumes a mode of action or cause that I do not. Whether the power behind the usefulness of these practices is "psychic" or "divine" or "psychological" is irrelevant to me. They're useful practices that work.
What would you call it ?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I've posted about a series of experiences that literally changed my life quite a while back and, as a person who is not at all superstitious as my main orientation and occupation was in the science area, it just boggled my mind, and it still does. It would take quite long to explain it, but I will if anyone is interested.

I always like a good story. :D

I understand these things can be fairly personal, though, so no worries if you'd like to keep the muse quiet for the moment.

What would you call it ?

I just refer to something by the name of the practice rather than by the presumed mechanism of action. I say "I practice divination" not "I have psychic powers" or "I practice introspection" or "I receive divine guidance" or whatever other mechanism of action one wants to propose behind it.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I talking about abilities that arise when one cultivate a spiritual path.

Clairvoiance, clairaudio, healing- hands and so on

its a part of spiritual life :) Not that i personally pay a lot of attention to it in my life, but i know that its a part of cultivation

To me it's typically a distraction. If it encourages me to continue working on becoming more loving, then it's a minor help. Otherwise to focus overmuch on them distracts me from my ultimate goal.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
Do you have experience with what is called psychic powers? if you have, would you like to share? or is it to personal and should not be shared?

This is not a tread about if psychic powers are real or not.

There are specific spiritual gifts born again Christians receive. I have personally experienced them.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Do you think the medicine was the cause of your sight? or do you think you had for a moment an insight to the future?

Being that it no longer happens and many people took that medicine, I think it has to do with the combination of the defect, the medicine and the particulars of my mind.

Of all the ESP's I do believe future prediction is the most likely to develop. We are constantly thinking and predicting the future in the short term, the variables get greater the farther you go out but can be extremely predictable. For me the future was limited to a day at most.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Do you have experience with what is called psychic powers? if you have, would you like to share? or is it to personal and should not be shared?

The Universe is full of power. There is so much more available to us than most people know or want to know. This I know and I like this.

I have health problems and "God" told me to find the right diet. So whenever I prepare a meal and put in the wrong ingredients or excess then I hear a voice correcting me (info I get is very accurate). I see it as part of Universal intelligence that wants the best for me/all (I call this Love).

MonkeyFire

I can create nirvana, light, justice, and safety. I call myself a groundhog based on my fundamental take on faith; that faith can be something else but still be FAITH... and this thing it creates is called hope (the sun). Really it's how the groundhog and faith both tell time.

Last edited:

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I always like a good story. :D
It would take to long to really give the story in enough detail to establish why it could not be superstition or be just a figment of my imagination, so let me just give you the "Cliff Notes" version:

Several years ago while at mass I had a strong premonition (in lack of a better word) that an old girlfriend of mine dating back over 50 years ago who literally changed my life was praying at the same time at mass near her home, and this came out of nowhere and sorta shook me up. I know where she lives and I googled the Catholic church nearest her, got into its website, and found that she likely was there because her husband was a Eucharistic minister at that mass.

When I dated her, she was simply the most "saintly" person I had ever met by far, so kind and compassionate, and the first time we went together was for 5 months and she dropped me. But fate brought us together again two years later and this time we madly fell in love with each other. However, I was dating another woman whom I adored and was a lot like my girlfriend, and we got carried away one night, and ...-- let me just say we got married several months later. Both of these women were very devout Italian Catholics who would walk a good distance to go to mass by themselves. I, at that time, was an agnostic but impressed with both them and the Catholic Church as I attended mass with them several times.

These "premonitions" kept happening several years ago but on an irregular basis, and it made little difference as to whether I was thinking about her or not. I had no clue what this was about, so it was pretty much driving me nuts. There's a lot more about this phase that proved to me that it was not something from my imagination or subconscious.

Then I had a strong and reoccurring feeling that I needed to go to the church where I had gone with my old girlfriend but it was a three hour drive from where I live, so how do I account for this with my wife as to why I need to go there, especially since I was quite active at the synagogue I had belonged to? Finally, I told here what was happening and why I needed to try and figure this all out, so she agreed that I should go.

I went, and then halfway through the mass, it all got put together, and the bottom line was that I concluded that this was a calling for me to return to the Church, which might seem disconnected because I have to leave out so much of this story. But it didn't stop there as other things began to happen that are just so utterly bizarre that I can't even begin to try and explain them, including just a few months ago.

I believe I have what might be called a "spiritual connection" to both my old girlfriend and my wife (I didn't cover the latter because that also would take way too much time), I rejoined the Church after being away for over 20 years, and I do believe I made the right decision. It has very much changed me, I hope for the better, as I do now believe that there has to be "Something" out "there" and in "here", but just don't ask me to explain it because I simply can't as I never thought anything like this could happen to me, or anyone else for that matter.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member

Im what you would call a psychic, or similar description, though its broader than that.
•generally dont tell people that
•generally wouldnt talk about anything specific in a casual conversation
•there are different types of things that can all be called psychic, I guess. The main idea is or difference rather, is intent to psychicism, of something, or just occuring, without intent. You could call those both psychicism, as its just a description of the overall occurrence.
》its real.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
At the rate of about one a decade I've had three experiences watching roundball on TV.

When you watch a game, it's normal to have moments when you anticipate a goal. This is more like those moments when you see a foul and your understanding of that is instantaneous, a kind of jolt.

On the first occasion, in the latter 90s, I had a sharp jolt of that kind, an instantaneous reaction to some undefined thing about the field I was looking at (on TV), and involuntarily and instantly said to my younger son, watching with me, Three goals coming! In fact there was a long-range goal within seconds, and from the kickoff there was another goal in under 30 seconds. There was not, however, a third goal.

On the second occasion, in 2005, I had another such jolt, and KNEW a goal was about to happen, for the blue team, at the far end of the field, and immediately on my reaction, the ball went by two passes the length of the field and into the goal.

On the third occasion, late last year, I had the same jolt, and within seconds saw a goal from thirty yards or more out.

There was no witness to my account on the last two occasions.

And, to be clear, I've only had those three jolts, a unique feeling.

There are many explanations for this, including selective editing, retrofitting, delusion, dishonest reporting for the sake of a tale, simple coincidence. But on each occasion, it seemed to me that I recognized some undefined thing in the situation on the field, was instantly reminded of what must happen ─ and jolts of that force, that conviction, are otherwise unfamiliar to me.

Since I'm as skeptical about ESP as I am about ghosts &c I'm pushed towards the something-from-experience explanation, (combined with coincidence to account for three examples), which here must arise from experience as an observer since I wouldn't have played more than five games of soccer in my life. All three occasions were via TV.

And one day I must tell you about the footsteps.

Last edited:

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member

Yes, I am amazingly good at guessing people religion, when I know where they live. It is not a 100% hit, but vastly more precise than random guess.

A gift of mine from the other spiritual dimension. Or whatever.

Ciao

- viole

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
I had a weird experience. I was asleep and I had this weird dream. I dreamed I was in a meadow talking and hanging out with a friend of mine. We were talking with each other about something really important. I woke up and told my friend about the same dream...She had the same dream and described the meadow in detail along with the particulars of our conversation without me telling her. Don't know if it counts but that's what happened.

RedhorseWoman

No magic as in tricks is only fake illusion :) I talking about abilities that arise when one cultivate a spiritual path.

Clairvoiance, clairaudio, healing- hands and so on

I have had several experiences of this type. When my father was dying and in a coma, I was quite amazed to find myself being able to communicate with him telepathically. Then, too, I have had several experiences utilizing Reiki to help heal one of my cats.

RedhorseWoman

I had a weird experience. I was asleep and I had this weird dream. I dreamed I was in a meadow talking and hanging out with a friend of mine. We were talking with each other about something really important. I woke up and told my friend about the same dream...She had the same dream and described the meadow in detail along with the particulars of our conversation without me telling her. Don't know if it counts but that's what happened.

Your experience reminds me of something that occurred a number of years ago that I had forgotten about. I had a dream about someone I hadn't seen in years, and honestly, we were never that close. I dreamed that I was standing under a large tree next to a dirt road, and "Bill" walked down the road and came up to me. I asked him what he was doing there, and he told me that he had come to say "Goodbye." He then turned away and walked back up the dirt road to some mountains in the distance.

Several weeks later, I was talking with an old friend, and she mentioned that "Bill" had died. He was only 42 at the time of his death, and everyone was quite shocked. I asked her exactly when did he die, and she told me that it was several weeks ago...exactly at the time I had that dream.