• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Exorcisms for protestants?

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
I see that the Catholic Church still to this day performs exorcisms

Does anyone know if they would be willing to perform an exorcism on a possessed protestant?

I ask because I believe myself to be possessed and in my denomination there is no tradition of exorcisms/exorcists, it's not a thing

Good-Ole-Rebel

I see that the Catholic Church still to this day performs exorcisms

Does anyone know if they would be willing to perform an exorcism on a possessed protestant?

I ask because I believe myself to be possessed and in my denomination there is no tradition of exorcisms/exorcists, it's not a thing

What makes you believe you are possessed? Be specific.

Good-Ole-Rebel

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
What makes you believe you are possessed? Be specific.

Good-Ole-Rebel
There is a being who communicates with me through touch

In the past it identified as God but I now know it was lying

I believe it is a kind of Tulpa that I accidentally created (through various means)

I believe that I created it but still consider its presence a kind of demonic possession

Either that, or it is a kind of evil spirit that has entered my mind

(unless all evil spirits are actually Tulpas??? - but if this is the case then we know Tulpas can be banished by an exorcism as exorcisms can banish evil spirits!)

I don't know, but I want it out of my head!

I believe that an exorcism may be able to make it go away

Good-Ole-Rebel

I believe it is a kind of Tulpa that I accidentally created (through various means)

I believe that I created it but still consider its presence a kind of demonic possession

Either that, or it is a kind of evil spirit that has entered my mind

(unless all evil spirits are actually Tulpas??? - but if this is the case then we know Tulpas can be banished by an exorcism as exorcisms can banish evil spirits!)

I don't know, but I want it out of my head!

I believe that an exorcism may be able to make it go away

I see you label yourself as Christian. Are you? If so how did you become a Christian? And when, in relation to this problem?

This is important because if you were a Christian prior to this, by Christian I mean one who has come to Jesus Christ as Lord and Saviour, and so are born-again, then the Holy Spirit, has taken up residence in your spirit. And no demonic spirit can move Him.

If this problem occurred before you were a Christian, as I described, and you then became a Christian, as I described, then any demonic spirit or spirits would be removed. The Holy Spirit would remove them.

Have you brought this up before members of your church? Do they agree with you? Have you asked for their prayer concerning this? Not an exorcism so to speak, but their prayer concerning this.

The Spirit world is real and the born-again Christian can come under severe demonic attacks upon his spirit. But they cannot possess his spirit.

Understand also, if you are not a born-again Christian, and you do find someone to perform an exorcism, and it appears to work at that time, there is no guarantee it won't return, as you have not the Holy Spirit. If you are not a born-again Christian, and now become one, then the spirit must leave. He may return to oppress his former home but he cannot possess anymore as the Holy Spirit is there.

Sorry for so many questions, but they need to be asked. I can't stress enough the importance of other believers in your fellowship knowing your problem and praying for you concerning it.

Does this problem affect your voice? Affect your body? Do you lose control over your body? I ask this because you said it is in your head.

Good-Ole-Rebel

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
I see you label yourself as Christian. Are you? If so how did you become a Christian? And when, in relation to this problem?
My problem started in 2004

I was baptised when I was four and confirmed earlier this year (I'm in my 30s)

The world makes much more sense to me with God in it

I believe in the Nicene Creed and the Apostles Creed with both my mind and heart

I love God

Have you brought this up before members of your church? Do they agree with you? Have you asked for their prayer concerning this? Not an exorcism so to speak, but their prayer concerning this.

They know that I'm "mentally ill" but I haven't come out to them about possession, although I have decided that I want to

Does this problem affect your voice? Affect your body? Do you lose control over your body? I ask this because you said it is in your head.

I don't lose control but it prods me, mostly on my head

Last edited:

Good-Ole-Rebel

My problem started in 2004

I was baptised when I was four and confirmed earlier this year (I'm in my 30s)

The world makes much more sense to me with God in it

I believe in the Nicene Creed and the Apostles Creed with both my mind and heart

I love God

They know that I'm "mentally ill" but I haven't come out to them about possession, although I have decided that I want to

I don't lose control but it prods me, mostly on my head

Baptism and Confirmation are no guarantees that you are born-again. I really need you to tell me that you believe Jesus Christ is the Son of God and Saviour and you have turned to God and accepted Him as your Lord and Saviour. Have you personally made that prayer to God?

So, I am still not going to assume you are a believer.

First of all, if you have some sort of mental illness, what makes you think this is not that?

It doesn't read in your other thread as if this was by accident. If you were Christian, you need to repent of that which caused it. If you keep considering it an accident, there will be no relief. You have to be honest with God.

If you are a Christian, you don't need an exorcism. You have the Holy Spirit and the ability to ward off any demonic spirit.

Yes, you need to tell those of your church your problem. Ask for their prayers. Seek your pastors guidance.

So, 1.) I am addressing demonic possession, not your mental illness.

2.) If you are not a born-again believer, that is the step you need to take.

3.) If you are a born-again believer, you need to repent of that which you got into, that brought this about, and turn back to Christ. Stay in the Word. Pray often. Meet with your fellowship as often as you can and have them pray for you.

Good-Ole-Rebel

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Baptism and Confirmation are no guarantees that you are born-again. I really need you to tell me that you believe Jesus Christ is the Son of God and Saviour and you have turned to God and accepted Him as your Lord and Saviour. Have you personally made that prayer to God?

So, I am still not going to assume you are a believer.

First of all, if you have some sort of mental illness, what makes you think this is not that?

It doesn't read in your other thread as if this was by accident. If you were Christian, you need to repent of that which caused it. If you keep considering it an accident, there will be no relief. You have to be honest with God.

If you are a Christian, you don't need an exorcism. You have the Holy Spirit and the ability to ward off any demonic spirit.

Yes, you need to tell those of your church your problem. Ask for their prayers. Seek your pastors guidance.

So, 1.) I am addressing demonic possession, not your mental illness.

2.) If you are not a born-again believer, that is the step you need to take.

3.) If you are a born-again believer, you need to repent of that which you got into, that brought this about, and turn back to Christ. Stay in the Word. Pray often. Meet with your fellowship as often as you can and have them pray for you.

Good-Ole-Rebel
I have acknowledged Jesus as my Lord and Saviour

And I have repented my sins

I did this a few months ago, in the form of a private prayer

I understand what it takes to be a Christian

Thank you for your advice, I will definitely raise it with my pastor, see what he thinks

Last edited:

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Thank you for your advice, I will definitely raise it with my pastor, see what he thinks
How well able is your pastor to distinguish between a treatable illness and possession?
How do you know?

I don't mean to give medical advice on the internet. I'm not at all qualified. But I hope, for your sake, that you consult qualified professionals and not just someone you like and trust but doesn't know what they're doing.
Tom

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
How well able is your pastor to distinguish between a treatable illness and possession?
How do you know?

I don't mean to give medical advice on the internet. I'm not at all qualified. But I hope, for your sake, that you consult qualified professionals and not just someone you like and trust but doesn't know what they're doing.
Tom
I am in the care of medical professionals, no need to worry about that

Thanks for your concern :)

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I am in the care of medical professionals, no need to worry about that

Thanks for your concern :)
I am very glad to hear that.
I don't know you and I don't pretend to have a clue about your personal situation.

But I do know that people commonly think that they know about the RCC and exorcism from nonsense like that movie, "The Exorcist". It's really not like that, that movie was fiction. But not everyone, especially Protestants, always understand that.
Tom

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn

Out of curiosity, what did the medical professionals say about this?
Tom

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Out of curiosity, what did the medical professionals say about this?
Tom
I haven't told my psychiatrist about the Tulpa bit yet, will tell him about it next time I see him

But he always seems a bit taken aback when I tell him it doesn't have a voice, but has touch instead - he even once agreed that these symptoms were "unusual"

And he doesn't really know how it all started, or any of the background but then it's not his job to understand, he's only there to help me maintain a degree of sanity

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I haven't a clue whether there is such a thing as "demonic possession", but one feeling I have is that 2000 years ago it wouldn't surprise me if this was what people believed with those who were mentally ill. As a father of a son and a grandfather of a granddaughter who both suffer from bipolar disorder, I can very easily picture how some may have drawn that conclusion.