• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Exodus: History and myth, then and now

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
If Jesus is risen from the dead (check) and prophecies are proven fully true (check) there is no longer a need to attempt to falsify the Bible's veracity in doctrine or miracles.
The prophecies fail. We could discuss why. Many of them aren't even prophecies in the first place. And the Bible is the only place that talks of Jesus rising from the dead, but there are not even any eyewitness accounts of that event in the Bible.

sooda

Veteran Member
@The Anointed

Biblical account

The life of Solomon is primarily described in the second Book of Samuel, and by 1 Chronicles and 1 Kings. His two names mean "peaceful" and "friend of God", both appropriate to the story of his rule.

Chronology
The conventional dates of Solomon's reign are derived from biblical chronology and are set from c. 970 to 931 BCE.

Regarding the Davidic dynasty, to which King Solomon belongs, its chronology can be checked against datable Babylonian and Assyrian records at a few points, and these correspondences have allowed archaeologists to date its kings in a modern framework.

According to the most widely used chronology, based on that by Old Testament professor Edwin R. Thiele, the death of Solomon and the division of his kingdom would have occurred in the spring of 931 BCE

sooda

Veteran Member
The prophecies fail. We could discuss why. Many of them aren't even prophecies in the first place. And the Bible is the only place that talks of Jesus rising from the dead, but there are not even any eyewitness accounts of that event in the Bible.

I have wondered if the text would be clearer if it hadn't been redacted, amended and added to for centuries.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
First of all, I cannot accept the narrative as written as being actual history, so I tend to just consider it as being allegorical, thus looking at the major teachings of faith and morals. I do that will all scripture in all religions, btw, thus personally generally avoiding the "Did that really happen?". However, here at RF I sometimes play devil's advocate.

sooda

Veteran Member
First of all, I cannot accept the narrative as written as being actual history, so I tend to just consider it as being allegorical, thus looking at the major teachings of faith and morals.

I do that will all scripture in all religions, btw, thus personally generally avoiding the "Did that really happen?". However, here at RF I sometimes play devil's advocate.

That makes too much sense.

sooda

Veteran Member
@The Anointed

map-egypt-sinai-exodus-route-white-3000x2363x300.jpg

In traditional Judaism, the Exodus is said to be around 1313 BCE. Other theologians have argued the Exodus to as early as 1450 BCE. The date is dependent upon the theology …

Riders

Here's the wIki page on it which says there is no evidence.
The Exodus - Wikipedia

There is place in Egypt history that it says they had Nomads from the desert as slaves but nothing that says Israel. So I'm not convinced that Jews were slaves for Egypt. There's just no proof. Egypt did have slaves from other places they went to war with though and they went to war a lot.

I have heard Christians complain at least once on the net I remember a claim that Egypt was prejudice against Jews and Gods law and Gods people that's why they were slaves. Its BS, there was no religious prejudice from Egypt against any group, Egypt had lots of slaves from Pagan and other religions.

sooda

Veteran Member
The Exodus - Wikipedia

There is place in Egypt history that it says they had Nomads from the desert as slaves but nothing that says Israel. So I'm not convinced that Jews were slaves for Egypt. There's just no proof. Egypt did have slaves from other places they went to war with though and they went to war a lot.

I have heard Christians complain at least once on the net I remember a claim that Egypt was prejudice against Jews and Gods law and Gods people that's why they were slaves. Its BS, there was no religious prejudice from Egypt against any group, Egypt had lots of slaves from Pagan and other religions.

There's no evidence that the Jews were in Egypt nor forty years in Sinai.

c66489ecb54f838386cbd68b35fdb97e.jpg

sooda

Veteran Member
The Exodus - Wikipedia

@The Anointed

Some claim the Hyksos were Israelites. They weren't and the didn't conquer Egypt. The Hyksos arrived in Egypt as traders and they did have horses which they introduced to the Egyptians.

The Hyksos were from Iran and further north.

sooda

Veteran Member
Excerpt:

"The question of historical accuracy in the story of Exodus has occupied scholars since the beginning of modern research," says Prof. Finkelstein. "Most have searched for the historical and archaeological evidence in the Late Bronze Age, the 13th century BCE, partly because the story mentions the city of Ramses, and because at the end of that century an Egyptian document referred to a group called ’Israel‘ in Canaan. However, there is no archaeological evidence of the story itself, in either Egypt or Sinai, and what has been perceived as historical evidence from Egyptian sources can be interpreted differently. Moreover, the Biblical story does not demonstrate awareness of the political situation in Canaan during the Late Bronze Age – a powerful Egyptian administration that could have handled an invasion of groups from the desert. Additionally, many of the details in the Biblical story fit better with a later period in the history of Egypt, around the 7-6th centuries BCE – roughly the time when the Biblical story as we know it today was put into writing.

Exodus: History and myth, then and now

sooda

Veteran Member
Excerpt:

@The Anointed

In the third year of the reign of Ammenemes III, on day 27 of month three of Proyet, three women and two men of a nomadic desert tribe whom the ancient Egyptians called Medjay Elephantine, in what is today Aswan. They came as ragged vices to the Great House of the Pharaoh. When questioned about conditions in the region they had come from, they offered no information about the movement of peoples—either because they were uninformed or because they feared how the pharaoh might use the information. We do know that they stated simply, "The desert is dying of hunger."

In cold response, they were told there would be no asylum in the Great House, that their labor was not needed. Their despair, and their fate on their return to the desert, we can only imagine.

The plight of these five nomads appears in the Semnah Dispatches, a series of reports by an officer stationed on Egypt's southern frontier to his superior residing in the capital, Thebes. They were discovered by British archeologist J.E. Quibeil in 1896 at the Ramesseum of Thebes on the west bank of the Nile.

The accounts of the Medjay preserved in the Semnah Dispatches are the earliest known written record that mentions the desert nomads who have been part of Egypt's human fabric since the dawn of history.

The Medjay are regarded by some authorities as the first pastoral nomads on the African continent, and they are the ancestors of the modern Beja tribes, whose lands lie in southeastern Egypt and northeastern Sudan amid the arid peaks and broad wadis that separate the Nile Valley from the Red Sea. The Medjay were likely the first people in Africa to have relied for their livelihood upon the herding of domesticated cattle, which they moved about seasonally, as necessary, in search of pasture. Medjay history, as we can piece it together through archeological evidence and modern tribal stories, seems much like the desert from which it springs—sparse and often blank, yet interspersed with moments of vivid color.

Saudi Aramco World : Nomads and Pharaohs

Elephantine Island was Jewish.

sooda

Veteran Member
The Medjay were an elite Egyptian paramilitary police force who served and acted as desert scouts and protectors of areas of Pharaonic interest throughout the Old, Middle, and New Kingdom periods of Egypt. The sworn guardians of the pharaoh and the nation; at their peak, the Medjay were highly... The Medjay were an elite Egyptian paramilitary police force who served and acted as desert scouts and protectors of areas of Pharaonic interest throughout the Old, Middle, and New Kingdom periods...

Medjay | Assassin's Creed Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia
assassinscreed.fandom.com/wiki/Medjay