• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Exodus 4:24-26

Trimijopulos

Hard-core atheist
Premium Member
Exodus 4:24
At a night encampment on the way, Yahweh encountered him (Moses) and sought to kill him.
Exodus 4,24.jpg

Yahweh attacked Moses to kill him!
The ancient Jewish scholars who translated the Bible into the Greek language (the Septuagint), rendered the word “Yahweh” as “Angel / messenger of the Lord”.

24 εγένετο δε εν τη οδώ εν τω καταλύματι συνήντησεν αυτώ άγγελος Κυρίου (Angel / messenger of the Lord) και εζήτει αυτόν αποκτείναι.

Obviously, they could not endorse the fact that Yahweh was attempting murder. Especially against Moses, who was on a mission under Yahweh’s command (to get the Israelites out of Egypt and towards the land of Canaan).
The author of this passage was not a theologian. He had a message to convey and did not care much about Yahweh’s reputation.

Exodus 4:25

So Zipporah (Moses’ wife) took a flint and cut off her son’s foreskin, and touched his legs with it, saying, “You are truly a bridegroom of blood to me!”
Exodus 4,25.jpg

Zipporah circumcised her son because she understood that it was what Yahweh wanted.
It was Yahweh whom she called “bridegroom of blood” and it was to his legs that she touched the foreskin. A gesture pointing to the one who caused the bloodshed.
As you see in the comment above, “Meaning of verse uncertain”, the passage is to this day incomprehensible to the modern translators of the Jewish Publishing society.
As regards the ancient Jewish translators, they wrote in their Greek translation that Zipporah threw herself to the feet of him (Yahweh) instead of touching his legs with the foreskin, and they altered her words “You are truly a bridegroom of blood to me!” to read It is the blood of the circumcision of my child”.

25 και λαβούσα Σεπφώρα ψήφον περιέτεμε την ακροβυστίαν του υιού αυτής και προσέπεσε προς τους πόδας αυτού (threw herself to his feet) και είπεν (and saidέστη το αίμα της περιτομής του παιδίου μου (“It is the blood of the circumcision of my child).

According to the Biblehub.com translation, Zipporah touched the legs of Moses with the foreskin.
Biblehub Moses feet.jpg

Exodus 4:26

And when [God] let him (Moses) alone, she added, “A bridegroom of blood because of the circumcision
Exodus 4,26.jpg

In the Greek translation, the words “A bridegroom of blood because of the circumcision.” have been altered to read “It is the blood of the circumcision of my child.

26 και απήλθεν απ’ αυτου, διότι είπεν· έστη το αίμα της περιτομής του παιδίου μου (“It is the blood of the circumcision of my child).

The phrase “bridegroom of blood”, which was omitted in the Greek translation, was addressed to Yahweh (which is the reason for the omission), and it is “Bridegroom” because Yahweh fathered the child, and “of blood” because of the circumcision.

Yahweh attacked Moses because he thought that Moses was the father of the child (instead of himself). Zipporah, by circumcising the child proved that the child was a son of God. Yahweh was persuaded and let go of Moses.

The message that the author of the passage wanted to transmit was that circumcision proved that the circumcised was a son of God.

To the ancient Israelites, Yahweh was a common Bull-god like all other gods.

There is a famous papyrus, namely Papyrus “Amherst 63”, that took 120 years to be deciphered because the text, known as “The Aramaic Text in Demotic script”, is written in the Egyptian demotic script, but the language is Aramaic.

A priest of an Aramaic-speaking community in Upper Egypt dictated the liturgy of the New Year’s festival to an Egyptian scribe. The papyrus was discovered at Luxor (ancient Thebes) and the handwriting dates the manuscript to the fourth century BCE. In the text appear gods of the Hebrew, the Egyptian, the Sumerian, the Babylonian, and the Assyrian pantheons.

According to the translator, Richard C. Steiner “The chief gods of the community are referred to as mr “lord” and mrh “lady”. These epithets are rendered as Mar and Marah”.

In the following passage, the term “Lord” appears as Mar, Horus, and Yahweh. Irrespective of the particular name, the lord is called a Bull:
Aramaic text.jpg
Bull.jpg

In the Aramaic Text in Demotic script, what has been recorded are the popular sentiments of the ancient Israelites towards Yahweh free of theological embellishments. Yahweh was a rapist, but he was still their creator, their Bull.

Theologians rejected the rapist part and kept only the creator part of the identity of Yahwe. It appears that to the author of the Exodus passage being studied, Yahweh was still the rapist creator and he did not mind, or even did not like, what clergy and theologians were preaching.

Hamilton

In Ugaritic writings El put Yamm in a position to kill Baal, but changed his mind, naming Baal his successor. Later Baal's sister intervened when Mot was trying to kill Baal.

There might be a connection betwern the players of both stories, and between the events in both, but such a comparison is too complex for me to figure out.

Soapy

Son of his Father: The Heir and Prince
In Ugaritic writings El put Yamm in a position to kill Baal, but changed his mind, naming Baal his successor. Later Baal's sister intervened when Mot was trying to kill Baal.

There might be a connection betwern the players of both stories, and between the events in both, but such a comparison is too complex for me to figure out.
It seems to me (what do I know?) that there is a passage missing between God sending Moses to Pharoah and God meeting Moses at the lodging place. Perhaps Moses had forgotten his Israelite duty to circumcise his male children and he could not perform God’s work unless to did so first. My point is that God relented after Moses’ wife did the circumcision on they’d child and touched Moses’ leg with it to atteibute the act to Moses.

However, I think of it also in the same way that God was about to kill Isaac but restrained Himself by transferring the sacrifice onto a ram instead.

Last edited:

DNB

Christian
Exodus 4:24
At a night encampment on the way, Yahweh encountered him (Moses) and sought to kill him.
View attachment 72984

Yahweh attacked Moses to kill him!
The ancient Jewish scholars who translated the Bible into the Greek language (the Septuagint), rendered the word “Yahweh” as “Angel / messenger of the Lord”.

24 εγένετο δε εν τη οδώ εν τω καταλύματι συνήντησεν αυτώ άγγελος Κυρίου (Angel / messenger of the Lord) και εζήτει αυτόν αποκτείναι.

Obviously, they could not endorse the fact that Yahweh was attempting murder. Especially against Moses, who was on a mission under Yahweh’s command (to get the Israelites out of Egypt and towards the land of Canaan).
The author of this passage was not a theologian. He had a message to convey and did not care much about Yahweh’s reputation.

Exodus 4:25

So Zipporah (Moses’ wife) took a flint and cut off her son’s foreskin, and touched his legs with it, saying, “You are truly a bridegroom of blood to me!”
View attachment 72985

Zipporah circumcised her son because she understood that it was what Yahweh wanted.
It was Yahweh whom she called “bridegroom of blood” and it was to his legs that she touched the foreskin. A gesture pointing to the one who caused the bloodshed.
As you see in the comment above, “Meaning of verse uncertain”, the passage is to this day incomprehensible to the modern translators of the Jewish Publishing society.
As regards the ancient Jewish translators, they wrote in their Greek translation that Zipporah threw herself to the feet of him (Yahweh) instead of touching his legs with the foreskin, and they altered her words “You are truly a bridegroom of blood to me!” to read It is the blood of the circumcision of my child”.

25 και λαβούσα Σεπφώρα ψήφον περιέτεμε την ακροβυστίαν του υιού αυτής και προσέπεσε προς τους πόδας αυτού (threw herself to his feet) και είπεν (and saidέστη το αίμα της περιτομής του παιδίου μου (“It is the blood of the circumcision of my child).

According to the Biblehub.com translation, Zipporah touched the legs of Moses with the foreskin.
View attachment 72986

Exodus 4:26

And when [God] let him (Moses) alone, she added, “A bridegroom of blood because of the circumcision
View attachment 72987

In the Greek translation, the words “A bridegroom of blood because of the circumcision.” have been altered to read “It is the blood of the circumcision of my child.

26 και απήλθεν απ’ αυτου, διότι είπεν· έστη το αίμα της περιτομής του παιδίου μου (“It is the blood of the circumcision of my child).

The phrase “bridegroom of blood”, which was omitted in the Greek translation, was addressed to Yahweh (which is the reason for the omission), and it is “Bridegroom” because Yahweh fathered the child, and “of blood” because of the circumcision.

Yahweh attacked Moses because he thought that Moses was the father of the child (instead of himself). Zipporah, by circumcising the child proved that the child was a son of God. Yahweh was persuaded and let go of Moses.

The message that the author of the passage wanted to transmit was that circumcision proved that the circumcised was a son of God.

To the ancient Israelites, Yahweh was a common Bull-god like all other gods.

There is a famous papyrus, namely Papyrus “Amherst 63”, that took 120 years to be deciphered because the text, known as “The Aramaic Text in Demotic script”, is written in the Egyptian demotic script, but the language is Aramaic.

A priest of an Aramaic-speaking community in Upper Egypt dictated the liturgy of the New Year’s festival to an Egyptian scribe. The papyrus was discovered at Luxor (ancient Thebes) and the handwriting dates the manuscript to the fourth century BCE. In the text appear gods of the Hebrew, the Egyptian, the Sumerian, the Babylonian, and the Assyrian pantheons.

According to the translator, Richard C. Steiner “The chief gods of the community are referred to as mr “lord” and mrh “lady”. These epithets are rendered as Mar and Marah”.

In the following passage, the term “Lord” appears as Mar, Horus, and Yahweh. Irrespective of the particular name, the lord is called a Bull:
View attachment 72988
View attachment 72989

In the Aramaic Text in Demotic script, what has been recorded are the popular sentiments of the ancient Israelites towards Yahweh free of theological embellishments. Yahweh was a rapist, but he was still their creator, their Bull.

Theologians rejected the rapist part and kept only the creator part of the identity of Yahwe. It appears that to the author of the Exodus passage being studied, Yahweh was still the rapist creator and he did not mind, or even did not like, what clergy and theologians were preaching.
Your comprehension of the passage in question, and the Bible itself, is utterly deplorable.
Circumcisions was mandated by God to Abraham, and those of Isaac's lineage were compelled to observe it as an imperative from God, as it was this mark that identified as the people of God, as opposed to all the other nations on the earth at that time.

Moses neglected to circumcise his child, born to him from Zipporah, on the eight day, and God will not tolerate defiance of His laws by anyone. Zipporah recognized the imminent threat from God and took matters into her own hand, satisfying the requirements of the divine ordinance and thus, placating God's wrath. Her gesture of touching the foreskin to Moses' leg, to me, is not clear, outside of, like @Soapy said, attempting to attribute the act of reparation to Moses - since he was the one indicted for the transgression.

Yahweh did not father Moses, and Zipporah did not touch the Almighty's leg, Yahweh was not confused as to who begot Moses' son, and Zipporah did not inform Him of this fact either.

God is transcendent, omniscient, all powerful, holy and wise. Your depiction of Him is utterly farcical - you cannot assess who God is from a single pericope in the Bible - not to mention, a rare and extremely problematic one.

Trimijopulos

Hard-core atheist
Premium Member
Your depiction of Him is utterly farcical - you cannot assess who God is from a single pericope in the Bible - not to mention, a rare and extremely problematic one.
OK! Let us take the problematic depiction of God’s buttocks as painted by Michelangelo and approved by all the Popes of Vatican City.
God's bum.jpg
God's bum.jpg

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
"Zipporah circumcised her son because she understood that it was what Yahweh wanted."

How on Earth did she come up with that idea?! :shrug:

Trimijopulos

Hard-core atheist
Premium Member
"Zipporah circumcised her son because she understood that it was what Yahweh wanted."

How on Earth did she come up with that idea?! :shrug:
She was a clever girl!

She was expecting Yahweh to come asking for DNA test proving that the child was his biological son, not Moses'.

By circumcising the child, she did not have to pay for an expensive test! ;)