• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Exodus 20:7 and the Name

MNoBody

if you are made in the image and likeness of this paternal king figure then you are an embodiment of his name...
his living names-sake, and you better not sully the name and drag it into the dust.
represent.
honor yer father and mother

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Yahweh in Hebrew / Jehovah in English / Jehová in Spanish
no dear. that is the second name/title.

the first name is exodus 3:14.

the NIV claims that the name at 3:15 sounds like the one at 3:14 but exodus 3:14 is a verb and not a name/title. its a state of being.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

lostwanderingsoul

I do not think it requires a paericular name. If you say something like "God damn" you are taking God in vain just by saying "God" in a cursing way.

pearl

improper use of the names of God, Jesus Christ
Promises made to others in God's name engage the divine honor, fidelity, truthfulness, and authority. They must be respected in justice. To be unfaithful to them is to misuse God's name and in some way to make God out to be a liar.

Blasphemy is directly opposed to the second commandment. It consists in uttering against God - inwardly or outwardly - words of hatred, reproach, or defiance; in speaking ill of God; in failing in respect toward him in one's speech; in misusing God's name.

A person commits perjury when he makes a promise under oath with no intention of keeping it, or when after promising on oath he does not keep it. Perjury is a grave lack of respect for the Lord of all speech. Pledging oneself by oath to commit an evil deed is contrary to the holiness of the divine name.
from the CCC.

WalterTrull

Godfella
The name of God is the father. The name of God is the creator. If I say "I created this or that." I take his name in vain.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
no dear. that is the second name/title.

the first name is exodus 3:14.

the NIV claims that the name at 3:15 sounds like the one at 3:14 but exodus 3:14 is a verb and not a name/title. its a state of being.
יהוה is His name, found over 6,800 times in the Hebrew text! Accepted pronunciation is “Yahweh” (translated “Jehovah” in English.) No other name is found more often, in the texts.
Exodus 3:15, NLT.....”God also said to Moses, “Say this to the people of Israel: Yahweh, the God of your ancestors—the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob—has sent me to you. This is my eternal name, my name to remember for all generations.” “

Seems pretty clear to me.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
יהוה is His name, found over 6,800 times in the Hebrew text! Accepted pronunciation is “Yahweh” (translated “Jehovah” in English.) No other name is found more often, in the texts.
Exodus 3:15, NLT.....”God also said to Moses, “Say this to the people of Israel: Yahweh, the God of your ancestors—the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob—has sent me to you. This is my eternal name, my name to remember for all generations.” “

Seems pretty clear to me.
yahweh is not the name in exodus 3:14. yahweh is the title/name in exodus 3:15. once one understands this name in exodus 3:14 they beome that in exodus 3:15.

this is why it is written: isaiah 45:5

there is nothing that exists outside/apart/separate from god. All is god. it isn't self vs some other self.

it is all being GOD

Jeremiah 23:23-24

if it fills heaven and earth, then it fills self, all selves. the illusion is in form.

it is here, there, everywhere. it is omnipresent. self cannot be outside of omnipresent

Last edited:

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
yahweh is not the name in exodus 3:14. yahweh is the title/name in exodus 3:15. once one understands this name in exodus 3:14 they beome that in exodus 3:14.

this is why it is written: isaiah 45:5

there is nothing that exists outside/apart/separate from god. All is god. it isn't self vs some other self.

it is all being GOD

Jeremiah 23:23-24

if it fills heaven and earth, then it fills self, all selves. the illusion is in form.

it is here, there, everywhere. it is omnipresent. self cannot be outside of omnipresent
Yes, nothing is hidden from God.
But we’re talking about His Name
And He — the God of the Bible — clearly states @ Isaiah 42:8, Darby....”I am Jehovah, that is my name; and my glory will I not give to another, neither my praise to graven images.”

Taking God’s Name out of the Bible, and replacing it w/ ‘LORD’, was in many people’s eyes including mine, the greatest travesty, leading to confusion. It was a master stroke by God’s Arch enemy, the Devil. He’s behind most of the confusion in this world. Revelation 12:9; 1 John 5:19.

Take care.

MNoBody

Yes, nothing is hidden from God.
But we’re talking about His Name
And He — the God of the Bible — clearly states @ Isaiah 42:8, Darby....”I am Jehovah, that is my name; and my glory will I not give to another, neither my praise to graven images.”

Taking God’s Name out of the Bible, and replacing it w/ ‘LORD’, was in many people’s eyes including mine, the greatest travesty, leading to confusion. It was a master stroke by God’s Arch enemy, the Devil. He’s behind most of the confusion in this world. Revelation 12:9; 1 John 5:19.

Take care.
and the "devil" appears to be the very human "mind" itself.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
He certainly uses humans!
As for the Devil himself, though, Revelation 12:7-12 talks about him being thrown out of Heaven. No human mind was ever in heaven

And take a look @ Job 1 & Job 2....another heavenly scene (among the spirit angels); couldn’t be human.

MNoBody

He certainly uses humans!
As for the Devil himself, though, Revelation 12:7-12 talks about him being thrown out of Heaven. No human mind was ever in heaven

And take a look @ Job 1 & Job 2....another heavenly scene (among the spirit angels); couldn’t be human.
what was the rebellion about again, that got Lucifer so PO'd that he blew his cool and got humbled so?
prototype man
Lucifer 2.0 ...better than the 1.0 version...and was the original design in the architects mind while he tinkered with the lucifer model [one way to look at it]
besides, it is a story about something other than what it seems to be about, after all.