• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Existence

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Sometimes I sit back and think about my own existence. sometimes I go further then that and I think about the existence of anything at all. I try to imagine a reality with a personal God and then I try to imagine a reality where nothing existed. Not even single chemicles and gases. Can you imagine nothingness? Can you imagine a situation where nothing exists at all?

But really, I can't figure out what seems more inconcievable. Any hypothetical reality seems so absurd to me, so unlikely and so unfathomable. I'm talking to everyone here, theists, non-theists, and everything in between. Whatever you believe in, isn't it simply incredible and unfathomable? Does anybody else stop and ponder this? When I do, I suddenly feel like a dream. I suddenly feel as though everything that I am apparently experiencing could be an illusion. I could be the figment of someone else's imagination. This world and this universe could be...anything. Anything seems possible and at the same time everything seems impossible.

These are just some things I entertain my mind with...

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
I know that feeling.
Awe. Sometimes I am just struck in awe.
Especially when climbing or surfing, the power, the immensity. I love high mountains and big waves because, for me, they are a door straight to that feeling.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Awe is one feeling. I guess tonight I've been mostly feeling...dream-like. I feel like I'm in a dream. Nothing seems real and I feel like I understand nothing about reality. It's kind of scary, the kind of scary that one experience when presented with the unknown.
I have no expectations and no clues. I can only marvel and hope for the best.

Onkara

Does anybody else stop and ponder this? When I do, I suddenly feel like a dream. I suddenly feel as though everything that I am apparently experiencing could be an illusion. I could be the figment of someone else's imagination. This world and this universe could be...anything. Anything seems possible and at the same time everything seems impossible.

Hi Madhuri
That part above is exactly my experience also, I offer this reply as I am, to be honest, very pleased to read yours.

Like Stephenw I am at awe with it all. Life is miraculous for me, I cannot comprehend it all yet I am it. At the same time I have no fear nor expectation, I don't feel disapointed.

Respectfully, Onkarah.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Hi Madhuri
That part above is exactly my experience also, I offer this reply as I am, to be honest, very pleased to read yours.

Like Stephenw I am at awe with it all. Life is miraculous for me, I cannot comprehend it all yet I am it. At the same time I have no fear nor expectation, I don't feel disapointed.

Respectfully, Onkarah.

thank you for your reply :)
I usually just feel awe as well. Tonight is a little random for me. It's that dream-like feeling and that knowledge that I know so little and that anything is possible.

But yes, it's all so miraculous. And so beautiful.

Onkara

Absolutely. I am very pleased because until now I could only imagine that it may be like that for others or it would be lost in the explanation.

Additonally, I have noticed that the sense of being both part of it and the witness of it has grown longer lasting. I have looked and I cannot say when this dream-like feeling started and I cannot say with confidence that it will stop. I go with it and that is when a sensation which I consider to be bliss, arises. Love without an object.

Onkara

Yes!
I've been experiencing this. It happens sometimes and it is wonderful. Usually mantra or something beautiful stimulates it. Or some realisation.

Initially I thought the sense of unconditional love was just an experience as it appears to come and go. As you say "it happens sometimes".

I have not found a complete description of Ananda (Bliss). As this love is unconditional I came to see this unconditional love and Ananda as one and the same.

As Brahman is sat-chit-ananda, Ananda(unconditional love) should be permanent. I came to see through posts and self-enquiry that there is nothing real which stops it, thoughts can stop it, such as when one calls your name or something urgent is required, like crossing the road. But these do not stop but rather conceal it. That is an important point I wish to raise here. That is why also your experience is through mantra, I would humbly offer to say. The mantra is intended to show us this, but not stop it.

I have a lot I wish to add, lots of ideas bubbling, like a kettle on the point of boiling. But it would interest me to hear from you and others more. :)

Last edited:

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
But these do not stop but rather conceal it. That is an important point I wish to raise here. That is why also your experience is through mantra, I would humbly offer to say. The mantra is intended to show us this, but not stop it.

I love this! Conceal. I think this must be true. I thing that has come to mind is the fact that we love our parents or sibling or children unconditionally but we are not always conscious of the feelings toward them. Sometimes we do not even think of them. But the love never actually goes away.

katiafish

consciousness incarnate
I can absolutely relate to the experience. I find myself breathless at times, contemplating the miracle of the existence. I have so much love to give to all in existence, the wonderous feeling of metta within my heart, my being, through my soul.

That is one of the main reasons I have studied the reiki, to be able to channel this feeling of being united with the Universe, full of healing loving kindness..

And the feeling that everything is possible, that we dont know what waits for us around the corner, it is truly incredible, life is not stagnating, it is an evolving, living breathing experience and I am priveledged enough to possess consciousness to actually be able to appreciate it..

autonomous1one1

Premium Member
Nice to read such a wonderful, positive thread. Thank you for sharing these great feelings of bliss, awe and joy. Hope they are able to rub off on others.:)

Amill

Apikoros
I'm an atheist I still find it extremely mind boggling that this Universe exists, and I wonder why the hell it is here. It is completely unfathomable, but I can't get around the fact that it may be here for no reason at all. I mean what would be the purpose of it's existence if nothing could perceive it's existence? Can something still exist if it is perceived by no one? It's hard to wrap my head around the idea that this all may be just complete randomness and purposeless. This Universe with all its wacky stuff may just be here without reason.

I mean what's the point in light if nothing can perceive light?

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm an atheist I still find it extremely mind boggling that this Universe exists, and I wonder why the hell it is here. It is completely unfathomable, but I can't get around the fact that it may be here for no reason at all. I mean what would be the purpose of it's existence if nothing could perceive it's existence? Can something still exist if it is perceived by no one? It's hard to wrap my head around the idea that this all may be just complete randomness and purposeless. This Universe with all its wacky stuff may just be here without reason.

I mean what's the point in light if nothing can perceive light?

Absolutely!

Another thing that I find completely incredible and unfathomable is the reality of consciousness. I mean, how in the world does consciousness come to be? a thing could be 'alive' and the world could be swarming with activity but the creatures could be like mindless computers. But we have consciousness. Isn't that unbelievable??

nameless

The Creator
me too had such experience a lot of times. Everything goes lifeless even me, the next second i think who is the one seeing my non-existence, then i find myself exists, again i find i dont exist, and this goes likes a loop. Feels like im the only soul existing in this entire universe. Somewhat difficult to come out from that experience once fall into it. Surely its so scary but wonderful too.

Last edited:

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I am working on a different slant, though I understand well what you are all describing. Of late, I have been working to the goal of having a wild deer allow me to pet it. So far, I am doing pretty well, though still, the realization is not here. Yesterday I sat in the driveway and bribed a mother, a female yearling and a male fawn with apples and leaves. It is so wonderful, that it is hard to describe. They all stood around, not 5 feet away and the fawn actually came as close as three feet. Soon... soon...

Later that afternoon I managed to get this photo... It's one for the books.

DSC00613x.jpg

To make this somewhat relevant, when I am in close proximity to the deer, I always radiate calm and security. I speak to them in a soft, encouraging voice and they will often stay in the area for upwards of 2 hours. It may not be the universe, but it is a dream and is very awesome.

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
Is the reason we shouldn't think about it because our brains might explode with the overwhelming nature of the subject? Or were you being sarcastic? :p

Well, thinking about it only frustrates us. There is no way it will ever make sense, so we are all just thinking and thinking about the impossibility of it all, and it's frustrating... So to avoid this feeling of frustration, we can just accept that it will never make sense, and forget about it. :D