• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Existence

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
I thought you said there wasn't much difference between belief in God, and belief in the ToE.
I'm not talking about religion, but faith in God.

I don't think I ever said they were the same thing. Only that they don't contradict one another.

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member
I believe God created the earth. I don’t believe it was formed over billions of years. I’ve always thought believers rejected evolution theories but I’ve come to learn many accept it. I don’t quite understand this reasoning but I respect it nonetheless. If you fall into this group feel free to share your reasoning.
The formation of the earth and the evolution of life are two separate, but related subjects. Accepting the evidence and logical, reasonable explanations of that evidence based on objective nature over a literal interpretation of an allegory about creation does not require a lack of faith in God nor does it have to lead to that state.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
For me denying evidence is essential for well being. I reject the 7 day proposal in the Bible but rather embrace what I like to call the blink of an eye scenario regarding creation. I think it’s self explanatory.
Last Thursdayism would be one way to describe that blink of an eye scenario. In that particular idea, everything was created as it is on last Thursday.

King Phenomenon

The formation of the earth and the evolution of life are two separate, but related subjects. Accepting the evidence and logical, reasonable explanations of that evidence based on objective nature over a literal interpretation of an allegory about creation does not require a lack of faith in God nor does it have to lead to that state.
This isn’t about faith it’s about an act

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
This isn’t about faith it’s about an act
The claim of the Bible is that God created the Earth and life on Earth in a particular way, with a particular order. The evidence that is available to us says that it did not occur as described. The evidence does not indicate that existence was created instantaneously as is. Unless the evidence is all contrived to provide the false notion of deep time and slow change over time, that is the basis for accepting what we have determined thus far through science.

nPeace

Veteran Member
My faith in the Gods is based on personal experience not fact, ergo faith.

My acceptance of the ToE is upon examining the evidence I have been presented. Take "mitochondrial eve" for instance and the ability to trace our female lineage back to a common splitting point around 155000 years ago.
Mitochondrial Eve - Wikipedia

Or our evolutionary tree as evidenced by genetics and the fossil record.

View attachment 55421
"our evolutionary tree as evidenced by genetics and the fossil record"
If I believe a hypothesis, how is that different to other hypotheses?
At the most basic level, phylogenetic trees represent hypotheses about evolutionary history.

Genetics and the fossil record require interpretation, yes?
I'm seeing no difference, because what one interprets from the evidence - the body of facts - is just a different interpretation of that evidence.
Correct?
HGT happens. There is no "one shoe fits all".

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
"our evolutionary tree as evidenced by genetics and the fossil record"
If I believe a hypothesis, how is that different to other hypotheses?
At the most basic level, phylogenetic trees represent hypotheses about evolutionary history.

Genetics and the fossil record require interpretation, yes?
I'm seeing no difference, because what one interprets from the evidence - the body of facts - is just a different interpretation of that evidence.
Correct?
HGT happens. There is no "one shoe fits all".

Whatever toots your boat.

Edit: Still has irrefutable evidence. Genetics is a MFer to argue against, and your not winning.

Edit 2: Still a better love story than Twilight.

Good night