• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Existence

nPeace

Veteran Member
ToE isn't a "belief" in the same way faith in religion is.

**** there are more issues with the theory of gravity then there are with the ToE. It's actually based on observable facts. Not mere speculation.
I thought you said there wasn't much difference between belief in God, and belief in the ToE.
I'm not talking about religion, but faith in God.

When you say it [ToE] is based on observable facts, what observable facts do you mean, and isn't evidence a collection of facts? So isn't faith in God based on observable facts?

Dan From Smithville

Recently discovered my planet of origin.
Staff member
Premium Member
For me denying evidence is essential for well being. I reject the 7 day proposal in the Bible but rather embrace what I like to call the blink of an eye scenario regarding creation. I think it’s self explanatory.
I do not understand what you by the denial of evidence. Is denying the evidence of a raging rhino essential for the well being of a person standing near that rhino?

Are you suggesting 'Last Thursdayism'?

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
If I made such a bold statement as "[the Genesis "story"] is symbolic", as though I am stating a fact, I would expect people would want me to back up or support my statement with some solid evidence.
How do you know the Genesis account is symbol?
How do you know it is literal? You have any evidence you want to share with the class?

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
I thought you said there wasn't much difference between belief in God, and belief in the ToE.
I'm not talking about religion, but faith in God.

When you say it [ToE] is based on observable facts, what observable facts do you mean, and isn't evidence a collection of facts? So isn't faith in God based on observable facts?

My faith in the Gods is based on personal experience not fact, ergo faith.

My acceptance of the ToE is upon examining the evidence I have been presented. Take "mitochondrial eve" for instance and the ability to trace our female lineage back to a common splitting point around 155000 years ago.
Mitochondrial Eve - Wikipedia

Or our evolutionary tree as evidenced by genetics and the fossil record.

smithsonian-homo-sapiens-tree1-980x565.jpg

firedragon

Veteran Member
I believe God created the earth. I don’t believe it was formed over billions of years. I’ve always thought believers rejected evolution theories but I’ve come to learn many accept it. I don’t quite understand this reasoning but I respect it nonetheless. If you fall into this group feel free to share your reasoning.

I have come to understand the predominantly in the west, especially in the U.S, people tend to associate these so called "believers" with the YEC movement that arose there. Probably because of the campaigning. But historically many have been opposed to YEC and in some cases, there were never a concept called young earth. Now there is this young earth and old earth and all kinds of phrases especially exploited by the non-religionists.

Evolution is nothing new. The theory of evolution was even propagated and taught by theologians long, long ago.

The reason for evolution would be either observation, philosophy, or ideas on contingency. It was pretty simple, but now it has become very complicated. I mean for a theist to speak of evolution is like being the devil himself, to theists and non-theists both.

Peace.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
It's right to those who believe and have faith in things they do not see.
Faith in God is based on evidence for things though not seen.
Can you explain the difference between the two - belief in God, and belief in the ToE?
If you can, then we can look at the wrongs.
There is no belief in the theory of evolution in the same sense as there is a belief in God. Creationists cannot understand that and I have never seen anything from you to invoke confidence that you understand that. You view science as a belief system or some sort of world view philosophy.

The fact that remains in all of this is that you have to deny science, since you and other believers like you have never been able to provide any objection that is based on evidence and logically consistent.