• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Existence of God. Can debate satisfy atheist ?

chinu

chinu
If, atheists predetermined that they will NOT accept existence of God until somebody provide physical evidence / proof -- do they still hope that somebody could ever satisfy them ?

Last edited:

Heyo

Veteran Member
If, atheists predetermined that they will NOT accept existence of God until somebody provide physical evidence / proof -- do they still hope that somebody could ever satisfy them ?
I've heard of atheists who play the lottery or dream of meeting aliens.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I think it's silly to think a person who lacks a belief in God has a hidden agenda where they are secretly hoping beyond hope that a theist can prove God to them.

It's almost as silly as the notion that a believer in God secretly hopes that atheists will someday be able to disprove God's existence. Someone should create such a thread. Oh...wait...

chinu

chinu
I think it's silly to think a person who lacks a belief in God has a hidden agenda where they are secretly hoping beyond hope that a theist can prove God to them.

It's almost as silly as the notion that a believer in God secretly hopes that atheists will someday be able to disprove God's existence.
You mean you don't support such silly perceptions ? :)

Someone should create such a thread. Oh...wait...
Oh! lets see what happens. :)

Heyo

Veteran Member
What do you mean by saying this ?
Some people have "magical thinking" and atheists are not free from that. I wouldn't categorically dismiss the idea that some atheists want there to be a magical sky daddy, even though they don't see a rational possibility.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
"Do they still hope ..." They? All? A few? A couple?

And let us suppose that some atheist hopes that somebody would come around with sufficient evidence to warrant a belief in deity. What about this would you like to discuss?

chinu

chinu
Some people have "magical thinking" and atheists are not free from that. I wouldn't categorically dismiss the idea that some atheists want there to be a magical sky daddy, even though they don't see a rational possibility.
So, that's why they hope.

Thank you :)

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

Me personally? I rather have an experience not evidence. Also, the god abrahamics think of deity format no. I think mythology when I think of that type of god (and gods). But virtually all religious I come across from many religions say they have a religious experience. As for where that religious experience comes from, I never believed in god so it would be odd for me to have that experience and connect it with god. I'd probably just live it as is without any association and cause.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Why predetermined, when it is much more likely that religious belief (hence probably a belief in God) comes from such rather than disbelief - given what we know about religious beliefs and how they are passed on. It's probably more likely that they just haven't accepted what others seem to have - that being, the evidence that we all see (but choose to interpret differently) or the veracity and/or provenance of various religious texts, amongst others.

And what is going to change that?

Last edited:

Altfish

Veteran Member
I do not know any atheist that is NOT open to new evidence.

If you (or preferably god) were to convince me that I'm wrong, I'll change my mind. Not saying I'll start worshipping this being though.