• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Existence a Sign of Love

idav

Being
Premium Member
Can existence be seen as a sign of inherent love in existence? Even among signs of perceived indifference or evil, what are the signs God is loving?

I feel that life is a sign of inherent love in existence. Without it life would have no way of coming from non-life.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Can existence be seen as a sign of inherent love in existence? Even among signs of perceived indifference or evil, what are the signs God is loving?

I feel that life is a sign of inherent love in existence. Without it life would have no way of coming from non-life.

I always thought love is a human emotion and need; and, if we did not exist, the planet and universe would go on without us and love. So, I'd say without love, humanity would not have peace because the love, gratitude, etc comes from us and how we connect to our environment.

I love life. Life doesn't love me. I find meaning in life. Life doesn't find meaning in me. I make meaning out of life and that's how life has meaning to me. Outside of that, I'm not the center of the universe; so, life has it's place and I have mine. I just prefer to relate to it from a humanity perspective rather than a god one.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Could you explain what you mean by "inherent love?" How are you understanding the word "love" in this context and what makes it "inherent?"

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member

I am sure the Ebola virus is the product of love. It must have taken a lot of love to design that machine.

The Jewel wasp must also feel very loved. It takes a lot of love to design stings that can puncture the nervous system of a caterpillar with such precision, so that it can be turned into a zombie ready to be eaten inside out by those cute little larvae in such a way to keep it alive and warm as long as possible.

Of course, I am just expressing the point of view of the wasp. Not so sure what the caterpillar might think about that expression of amazing love.

Ciao

- viole

idav

Being
Premium Member
Could you explain what you mean by "inherent love?" How are you understanding the word "love" in this context and what makes it "inherent?"
When considering non living substances, it seems to me that there is some sort of inherent longing for something inherent in the nature of things which inevitably produces things like life. Pro-creation being one of those aspects.

idav

Being
Premium Member
Why not? There are wholly mechanistic models for the creation of life in an indifferent universe.
Mechanistic models don't typically explain things in with an underlying awareness in mind and I don't think mechanical view alone can satisfy what is consciousness.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
When considering non living substances, it seems to me that there is some sort of inherent longing for something inherent in the nature of things which inevitably produces things like life. Pro-creation being one of those aspects.

Hmm. I don't think I understand, and I'm trying to do that before I make much comment about what it is you are proposing here. Are you saying that you mean "love" to be an "inherent longing" to produce biological organisms? How can this apply to things we call "not life" particularly in our non-animist culture where these "not life" things are "inanimate" and cannot experience emotions like longing?

idav

Being
Premium Member
I am sure the Ebola virus is the product of love. It must have taken a lot of love to design that machine.

The Jewel wasp must also feel very loved. It takes a lot of love to design stings that can puncture the nervous system of a caterpillar with such precision, so that it can be turned into a zombie ready to be eaten inside out by those cute little larvae in such a way to keep it alive and warm as long as possible.

Of course, I am just expressing the point of view of the wasp. Not so sure what the caterpillar might think about that expression of amazing love.

Ciao

- viole
Life in a general sense wouldn't really take any preference but what we all have in common is trying to make more of our kind.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Life in a general sense wouldn't really take any preference but what we all have in common is trying to make more of our kind.

Well, speak for you. I am not interested to have anything in common with things like the Black Death bacterium. At least emotionally. :)

Ciao

- viole

Akivah

I agree. To me, the simple fact that G-d Created us is a sure sign that He loves us. The entire world is available to us and we have the free will to make our own choices.

But I've seen several other POVs that believe the exact opposite. That the pain and suffering in our lives, along with our lives being finite, somehow proves that there is no G-d.

idav

Being
Premium Member
Hmm. I don't think I understand, and I'm trying to do that before I make much comment about what it is you are proposing here. Are you saying that you mean "love" to be an "inherent longing" to produce biological organisms? How can this apply to things we call "not life" particularly in our non-animist culture where these "not life" things are "inanimate" and cannot experience emotions like longing?
I am talking in terms of there being an underlying awareness and life coming from non-life is evidence of not life trying to become something to the point of replication which is semi creation similar to existing rather than not existing.

Skwim

Veteran Member

Not if one considers existence on Earth where life is continually beleaguered by unhappiness, violence, pain, and suffering. In fact, considering the lot in life of living organisms it might well be said that existence is a sign of inherent indifference at best, and inherent malice at worst.

idav

Being
Premium Member
Not if one considers existence on Earth where life is continually beleaguered by unhappiness, violence, pain, and suffering. In fact, considering the lot in life of living organisms it might well be said that existence is a sign of inherent indifference at best, and inherent malice at worst.

Indifference in the universe would amount to never developing any organisms that care one way or another. Pain and suffering may not be a sign of malice but a sign of the struggle life goes through to even get to this point of having organisms with empathy.

idav

Being
Premium Member
Well, speak for you. I am not interested to have anything in common with things like the Black Death bacterium. At least emotionally. :)

Ciao

- viole
I forgot the other similarity is none of us wants to expire.

idav

Being
Premium Member
I agree. To me, the simple fact that G-d Created us is a sure sign that He loves us. The entire world is available to us and we have the free will to make our own choices.

But I've seen several other POVs that believe the exact opposite. That the pain and suffering in our lives, along with our lives being finite, somehow proves that there is no G-d.
Yup agreed.

We do probably have a bias for what finite really means.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
I forgot the other similarity is none of us wants to expire.

Yes, and I am sure that disliking to expire proves that our life originates from love.

If I loved someone, I would create it with exactly that property :)

Ciao

- viole

idav

Being
Premium Member
Yes, and I am sure that disliking to expire proves that our life originates from love.

If I loved someone, I would create it with exactly that property :)

Ciao

- viole
From what I see in the animal kingdom procreation takes precedence over a will to survive even.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I am talking in terms of there being an underlying awareness and life coming from non-life is evidence of not life trying to become something to the point of replication which is semi creation similar to existing rather than not existing.

Hmm. Still not sure I follow, but that may be because this just doesn't jar with my worldview in any way. I'm an animist, so for me the "distinction" between living and non-living things is pretty moot, and I definitely do not see the persons that my culture calls "not living" all aspiring to become something "living." That sounds like a very biocentric view of reality in a universe that is... well... not.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Mechanistic models don't typically explain things in with an underlying awareness in mind and I don't think mechanical view alone can satisfy what is consciousness.
Wow Idav, you are beginning to sound like me.