• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Exhibitionism in Women, whose fault?

Ellen Brown

I think it's probably more complicated than that. Women sometimes feel like they have to make choices based on clothing lines they didn't want because it's all that's available to them. For example, the vanishing pockets phenomena.
There's definitely a market, but capitalism is super great at making you believe the market is freer and based more on consumer needs than it actually is.

I won't buy clothing without pockets any more.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Campsaver has 3 dresses below the knee, all sleeveless. REI has one long sleeved, tea-length dress that looks like a nightgown. Duluth Trading's dresses are all above the knee. Menards has no clothing. :p Nothing at LL Bean, either. (Short sleeve, knee length, with plunging neckline is the closest they got. Most were sleeveless and above the knee.)
I sense bogus research.
Menards is where I get my jeans, sweatshirts, T-shirts, hats & bacon.
They carry all the brands you need.....Wrangler, Carhartt, & Old Mill.
You can get long sleeves, hoods, long pants & practical boots.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
I sense bogus research.
Menards is where I get my jeans, sweatshirts, T-shirts, hats & bacon.
They carry all the brands you need.....Wrangler, Carhartt, & Old Mill.
You can get long sleeves, hoods, long pants & practical boots.
Ahh. I found the apparel. It was under the "Home & Decor" department. No dresses.

Skwim

Veteran Member
I won't buy clothing without pockets any more.
Found just what you're looking for. Pockets, tea length, no plunging decolletage, and even one or two with sleeves.

dresses old.png

You're welcome.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I buy gadgets, movies, e-books and such online. But I rarely buy clothing, because I'm still trying to find the online fitting rooms.
They don't have online fitting rooms, but plenty of online clothing stores make it easy to return the item if it doesn't fit. A hassle, true, but when options are limited it's better than nothing.
I wonder if I'll still see threads here and wonder "who's this" or "what's that" only to find out the person is a fashion designer and that is a clothing line? In just a few months I've been to at least a few stores that I've only ever heard of, such as Macys, which I found to be too much of the wrong kind of ritzy I like.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
One gal I know buys clothing at Tractor Supply.
I bought Crocs there once.
They do some some good clothes. Not stylish if you aren't into camo, but they do have some shoes, clothes, jackets, and coveralls of solid durability.
I haven't seen a TSC since Oklahoma. I don't miss them, though. But I do miss Menards. That is something Californians are missing out on, because life is not complete until you pick up lunch, a book to read, a get well card for your sick friend, first aid supplies, and pet food at the same time you get just about everything you need for whatever "building things" or remodeling projects.
But the way California pedestrians stand around at intersections waiting for the light to give them permission to cross instead of playing Human Street Frogger, they may not have interest in the convenience of rushing things in such a way.

Orbit

I'm a planet
Campsaver has 3 dresses below the knee, all sleeveless. REI has one long sleeved, tea-length dress that looks like a nightgown. Duluth Trading's dresses are all above the knee. Menards has no clothing. :p Nothing at LL Bean, either. (Short sleeve, knee length, with plunging neckline is the closest they got. Most were sleeveless and above the knee.)

Try Roamans.com for clothes that actual women wear

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Lately, I am seeing lots and lots of slinky dresses on the internet and part of that is my fault because I am looking for a new dress. It has to be Tea Length, with sleeves, and no plunging decolletage. But, I do not want something only fit for the very old.

Many of the dresses I am seeing are often metallic, clingy and might likely have the men steaming at the ears. Not acceptable to me.

So, do women cause this sexy advertising or is it men? I don't know any women who would wear such things, least of all me. I don't see those around me on the street dressed like that. ???
It’s always been a supply and demand relationship. That’s how retail works. Perhaps societal pressures do play a part. But they sound like normal nightlife/clubbing dresses to me. Hell my managers would wear those on a night out.
What sites are you searching?
Pretty sure these days all you have to do is google your preference and choose the shopping option on the app.
Personally prefer to shop in store as it is sometimes hard to properly translate measurements between stores even. But whatever. People can wear a burlap sack for all I care.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
So, do women cause this sexy advertising or is it men?
It isn't about gender.
It's about capitalism.
Filling a need or serving the public or whatever is not the goal of business. It's a secondary side effect of making a profit.
This is not such a big deal concerning clothing as it is with more needful things like healthcare and legal representation.
Tom