• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Exhibitionism in Women, whose fault?

PureX

Veteran Member
Lately, I am seeing lots and lots of slinky dresses on the internet and part of that is my fault because I am looking for a new dress. It has to be Tea Length, with sleeves, and no plunging decolletage. But, I do not want something only fit for the very old.

Many of the dresses I am seeing are often metallic, clingy and might likely have the men steaming at the ears. Not acceptable to me.

So, do women cause this sexy advertising or is it men? I don't know any women who would wear such things, least of all me. I don't see those around me on the street dressed like that. ???
I think you're just looking on the wrong sites. I am sure there is clothing out there for all tastes. And if not, you might want to consider a 'start up'. ;)

There are a lot of reasons why you are seeing the dresses that you're seeing, for sale. Some of it is that women want to imagine themselves as being that 'alluring'. Some of it is that men want women to be alluring. Some of it is that young people shop on line, more. Some of it is that marketers all want to be in the high end of the market, so they can offer less and get more for it. Some of it is just the fashion trend of the moment. And so on.

But if you have money to spend on a dress, someone out there will have the dress for you.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Exhibitionism is a mental disorder characterized by a compulsion to display one's genitals to an unsuspecting stranger.

:eek:

That is not the general definition but a psychiatric useage the general definition is
'extravagant behaviour that is intended to attract attention to oneself.,"

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Lately, I am seeing lots and lots of slinky dresses on the internet and part of that is my fault because I am looking for a new dress. It has to be Tea Length, with sleeves, and no plunging decolletage. But, I do not want something only fit for the very old.

Many of the dresses I am seeing are often metallic, clingy and might likely have the men steaming at the ears. Not acceptable to me.

So, do women cause this sexy advertising or is it men? I don't know any women who would wear such things, least of all me. I don't see those around me on the street dressed like that. ???

Unless the men are the ones buying the dresses, I would say women.

If fashion designers make a style of dress, and women do not buy it, they would not continue to create dresses in that style. As with anything else in the sales industry, it's about optimizing profit by offering what the public is demanding.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Exhibitionism is a mental disorder characterized by a compulsion to display one's genitals to an unsuspecting stranger.

:eek:

Or it's extravagant behavior that is intended to attract attention to oneself. ;)

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
How do you manage? I started doing most of my shopping online because it became too hard to find things I needed and wanted in a physical store. Books. electronic components, art supplies, even clothes I've started buying online to have some variety (though there are tons of clothing stores around here so I might go back to going to real stores). But, then again, there are tons more every type of store here so I might be able to cut back on how much I buy online. Just as soon as I have a car again and can travel a mile in a few minutes instead of it taking about 20 minutes.

I buy gadgets, movies, e-books and such online. But I rarely buy clothing, because I'm still trying to find the online fitting rooms.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member

I'm sending you a PM of a link to a dress you might like. ;)

GodInUs

I noticed in your comment you said "I am seeing" what others are doing, and what's happening. When I get asked from someone "what I think" of what they have on or wearing I will make it VERY clear upfront and tell them at first, # 1 it doesn't matter what I think or my opinion, it only matters what YOU think about it, what do YOU like/enjoy wearing? I'm not them, and their not me, EVERYONE is different in one way or another, that's what makes us all Special and Unique in our OWN way(s). But there's too much these days with everyone else seeing what everyone else is doing and not really finding out WHO they themselves truly are as an individual. Everyone else trying to be like somebody else besides themselves. Of course insecurities could play a role in this too or to fill some void you feel is missing or to be accepted by someone or others, NO THANK YOU! When we do this we're not being true to ourselves, who we truly are as an individual, who isn't like anyone else. So if a person wants my opinion on something they need to know first what they like and don't like themselves, and then realize and KNOW I'm not them and their not me so chances are at times we will definitely have differing opinions, tastes, likes/dislikes, el'naturelle!! Which makes me, ME! And you, YOU! I usually watch and look what the majority is sucked into and it just comes natural now to avoid it all. It's like insecure robots nobody knows what they themselves like and aren't doing it, not being true to themselves. If someone has a negative opinion or comment that's not respectful of something I'm wearing or something "I" LIKE and prefer to wear. I'll ask them, Oh! Are you offering to buy me what you prefer or like!? It's always, no, chuckle chuckle, and then I'll tell them, Oh! That's what I thought then shut the hell up. I buy what I LIKE, and I'm not thinking about YOU when I buy it with my money and all you want to do is conform me to who and what YOU think I should be like, NOT going to happen. Of course I'll be smiling when I'm telling them this. They can like me for me, who I am as a person or they can take a hike, and vice a versa. I WILL respect EVERYONE for WHO they are, not for someone I would want or expect them to be or like ME, NO! I look at everyone like a long white blank artists pad on an easel saying when I first make eye contact with them, "Go for it! Give me what ya got, WHO ARE YOU??????

GodInUs

I have an imagination, so women are absolutely beautiful "." I don't like sleaze, don't get me wrong there's a place and time for it, I've got serious hormones but just not from every friggin woman out there. I find it VERY unattractive when right upfront when I first see you I'll meet your sexuality/sensuality first before I meet YOU as a person. You've already sold yourself in what you expect me to see in YOU first off, before you even speak a word. She's already putting a lasso on my you know what rather than my heart or intellect. I find it dumb and not smart at all, as well unattractive. I prefer a smart woman who gets to KNOW their prey first :D. Grab them with the intellect first and foremost, show you've got some brains before you show me the "B!!A!!M!!. Already know you've got it somewhere but when it's thrown right in the face before you even say a word, pleeeeease. yaaaawwwwnn! I think oh brother, here we go again, just another one, look at me look at me! Please over here look at me! Hi he he he! What was the first word Adam said when he saw Eve for the first time? WO!! Man!! And God created Woman!!

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

It isn't exhibitionism if their dress comports with the norm.
Peoples in tropical rainforests have worn nothing or little
at all. They were just wearing what was normal & useful.

As for assigning "fault", I find the term irrelevant. No one
forces these personal choices upon others. Nothing is
wrong with their choices. Tis not for me to judge them.

Note:
I do judge fashion....some I like, & some I hate.
But it's their business alone....except for some workplace
restrictions, eg, no rings while operating machine tools.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Too late:

large-1462436978-048f7f557c17ff73b66e2e795b1562c1.jpg
Must be Mennonites.
I've never seen Amish show skin like that.

(Just joking, Mennonites!)

Shad

Veteran Member

Both as it is part of basic mating rituals at the core.

Rational Agnostic

Why is it "not acceptable" to you? What other people want to wear is their business, not yours.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

Different people have varying tastes. Some folks find a fully clothed person really sexy, while skin is a turn off. Just sayin'.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Fads come & go. Does anyone remember the "grunge [sp.?] look" that looked like women wearing sacks?

GodInUs

Fads come & go. Does anyone remember the "grunge [sp.?] look" that looked like women wearing sacks?

Oh that's crazy so true forgot about that one or how about "punk". I guess that would be thanks to the BIG hair or lots of hair bands. I came across "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" and couldn't help but notice some of their attire, I had forgotten and I was like, WOW! Are you serious!? How could we have worn this, hhhmmm

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Why is it "not acceptable" to you? What other people want to wear is their business, not yours.
There are all sorts of reasons that a particular style may not appear to someone and be "not acceptable". As long as one does not say "I would not want to wear that so no one should be able to wear that" everything is okay. My, I always thought that Wife Beater Tee Shirts looked tacky. I won't say that others cannot wear them. But if that was all that I saw when shopping for regular T-shirts I might vent a bit.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
Try Campsavers, REI, Duluth Trading, Menards, & other stores catering to practical people.
Campsaver has 3 dresses below the knee, all sleeveless. REI has one long sleeved, tea-length dress that looks like a nightgown. Duluth Trading's dresses are all above the knee. Menards has no clothing. :p Nothing at LL Bean, either. (Short sleeve, knee length, with plunging neckline is the closest they got. Most were sleeveless and above the knee.)

Last edited: