• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Exhibitionism in Women, whose fault?

Ellen Brown

Lately, I am seeing lots and lots of slinky dresses on the internet and part of that is my fault because I am looking for a new dress. It has to be Tea Length, with sleeves, and no plunging decolletage. But, I do not want something only fit for the very old.

Many of the dresses I am seeing are often metallic, clingy and might likely have the men steaming at the ears. Not acceptable to me.

So, do women cause this sexy advertising or is it men? I don't know any women who would wear such things, least of all me. I don't see those around me on the street dressed like that. ???

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Lately, I am seeing lots and lots of slinky dresses on the internet and part of that is my fault because I am looking for a new dress. It has to be Tea Length, with sleeves, and no plunging decolletage. But, I do not want something only fit for the very old.

Many of the dresses I am seeing are often metallic, clingy and might likely have the men steaming at the ears. Not acceptable to me.

So, do women cause this sexy advertising or is it men? I don't know any women who would wear such things, least of all me. I don't see those around me on the street dressed like that. ???
They are probably party and night-club dresses.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member

No one causes advertising but the retailers and their public relations people bent on making money.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member

Some women are very competitive in attracting a mate. If women did not want to buy these dresses they would not exist.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Some women are very competitive in attracting a mate. If women did not want to buy these dresses they would not exist.

Exactly. If they weren't being bought, then they wouldn't be sold. God help us if you start seeing Amish models in these ads...

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
It's hard to tell. Woman have been doing the attracting and adorning themselves and all that other stuff for so long that we may not be able to pinpoint a where to estimate a why. It's easy to say it's men, but at the same time it's also easy to say it's women.
They may not be regular everyday wear dresses.
If I had the body for them, I'd wear them.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Part of the problem here is looking online.
What you will mostly see is the most profitable merchandise, which is what sellers are most willing to pay the internet providers to advertise. And the internet providers aren't paid to show you what you want so much as market their top customers (businesses) wares.
I never shop online, I am not big on shopping at all. But I do know this. What you find on the internet is designed to maximize profits for Google or somebody. Not help you find what you want for the best price.
Tom

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Exactly. If they weren't being bought, then they wouldn't be sold. God help us if you start seeing Amish models in these ads...
Too late:

large-1462436978-048f7f557c17ff73b66e2e795b1562c1.jpg

Treks

Exhibitionism is a mental disorder characterized by a compulsion to display one's genitals to an unsuspecting stranger.

:eek:

Skwim

Veteran Member

Curious as to what tea Length is, I looked it up.

"What is tea length dress?

TEA LENGTH: A "tea length" dress (so named because it's what a woman would wear to the tea table in the 1920s, according to Emily Post) falls about three to four inches below the knee and has lately become a great evening alternative to the floor-sweeping gown.
"​

So, do women cause this sexy advertising or is it men?
Advertising is designed to appeal to buyers. So if the advertising is sexy it's because buyers, women in this case, are responding to it by buying the product. If sexy advertising didn't appeal to women it would be dropped like a hot coal.

I don't know any women who would wear such things, least of all me.
No doubt you travel in different circles.

I don't see those around me on the street dressed like that. ???
Don't know where your street is, but looking at tea length dresses they don't appear to be street wear, but rather occasion wear.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member

Good luck. Finding anything with sleeves is difficult these days.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Exhibitionism is a mental disorder characterized by a compulsion to display one's genitals to an unsuspecting stranger.

Not to be confused with the display with prior established consent between mentally healthy adults, preferably in a situation of mutually suportive involvement.

Although I guess that such, too, can be a bit chaotic...

Skwim

Veteran Member

Yeah, that may be a one-sentence clinical definition, but I'm sure it isn't what Ellen Brown had in mind.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I never shop online,
How do you manage? I started doing most of my shopping online because it became too hard to find things I needed and wanted in a physical store. Books. electronic components, art supplies, even clothes I've started buying online to have some variety (though there are tons of clothing stores around here so I might go back to going to real stores). But, then again, there are tons more every type of store here so I might be able to cut back on how much I buy online. Just as soon as I have a car again and can travel a mile in a few minutes instead of it taking about 20 minutes.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber

I had a client who was an exhibitionist. He had a few stories that were perhaps maybe inappropriate for someone in my position to laugh at while on the job and working with a client, but it's not my fault they were funny.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Maybe it's for twitch streamers.

Altfish

Veteran Member

Wear what you like, what you feel comfortable in.
It's mans' problem not your if they can't handle it.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I think it's probably more complicated than that. Women sometimes feel like they have to make choices based on clothing lines they didn't want because it's all that's available to them. For example, the vanishing pockets phenomena.
There's definitely a market, but capitalism is super great at making you believe the market is freer and based more on consumer needs than it actually is.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Like others have said, those dresses might not be something that get worn in places you frequent, like night clubs or specific regions where the fashion is more popular. It could also be targeted towards a specific demographic which there are far less of, but they're willing to pay more for those dresses. Or it could be designed by a committee board of men who have very little knowledge of what their buyers actually want, and instead do 'spray and pray' methods of brand advertising to make something nobody wants get wanted (re: the history of 90% of feminine products.)