• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Executive order can potentially open up social media to litigation including religious forums.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Trump Executive Order May Target Blogs, Recipe Sites & Forums

As far as I'm concerned this is an unchecked attack on Free speech and expression enabled through the powers of litigation which will clearly put a heavy damper on sites like Facebook, Twitch, and of course religious forums which contains user-generated content.

Trump should not be doing this, he shouldn't be joining people like the politically correct crowd and such in their quest of the suppressing one's opinions and thoughts.

In a free country, you don't sue people because you're offended. You sue people because they do real objectifiable damage, and this executive order makes it considerably more easy for people to sue just about anything and anyone that puts out material through internet forums and social media.

Bonus question:

Incidentally, what kind of recipe would be worthy of getting sued over?

Haggis perhaps?

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It's a toothless rant indicating he's freaking out about losing his tongue. There's nothing in it that will stand up legally.

Twilight Hue

It's a toothless rant indicating he's freaking out about losing his tongue. There's nothing in it that will stand up legally.
That's true, his executive orders cannot override an act of Congress.

What people are concerned about is that it could put in legal mechanisms that will make it much easier in the future.

It's what I've been telling people they've been doing for years now is the practice of making small incremental progress toward a goal that clearly will not favor a free nation of people when you look at things down the road.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member

What people are concerned about is that it could put in legal mechanisms that will make it much easier in the future.

It's what I've been telling people they've been doing for years now is the practice of making small incremental progress toward a goal that clearly will not favor a free nation of people when you look at things down the road.
If we look at what's happening to Hong Kong, we can see how that works.

It's incumbent on those who value freedom to carefully look at things to make sure there's a true and valid purpose for them and to oppose measures which sound good but are dangerous.

I've found Techdirt. to be a site that looks at these measures with a jaundiced eye.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber

What I'm more concerned about is Trump is setting precedence for successors to spend their terms dismantling what the last one did. Such as, Trump has spend a ton of time doing it with Obama's stuff, and the next one will spend it undoing Trump's stuff, like pulling WHO support and and this executive order.

Twilight Hue

What I'm more concerned about is Trump is setting precedence for successors to spend their terms dismantling what the last one did. Such as, Trump has spend a ton of time doing it with Obama's stuff, and the next one will spend it undoing Trump's stuff, like pulling WHO support and and this executive order.
Yeah that's a good point. It just makes things into one big perpetual circle of chaos.

It's why I'm looking for a moderate party that has the right political recipe that's neither Republican or Democrat.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
It's why I'm looking for a moderate party that has the right political recipe that's neither Republican or Democrat.
Unfortunately you might have to settle for moderate democrats/republicans until 3rd parties become viable choices. Of course, the current republican party brands all conservatives who don't bend a knee to Trump as traitors.

Samantha Rinne

Resident Genderfluid Writer/Artist
Trump Executive Order May Target Blogs, Recipe Sites & Forums

As far as I'm concerned this is an unchecked attack on Free speech and expression enabled through the powers of litigation which will clearly put a heavy damper on sites like Facebook, Twitch, and of course religious forums which contains user-generated content.

Trump should not be doing this, he shouldn't be joining people like the politically correct crowd and such in their quest of the suppressing one's opinions and thoughts.

In a free country, you don't sue people because you're offended. You sue people because they do real objectifiable damage, and this executive order makes it considerably more easy for people to sue just about anything and anyone that puts out material through internet forums and social media.

Bonus question:

Incidentally, what kind of recipe would be worthy of getting sued over?

Haggis perhaps?

As someone whose free speech as repeatedly been stifled because Facebook (or other forums) have mods who don't like what I have to say, I would immediately call this garbage.

This executive order will not stifle free speech on religious forums.

This executive order will stifle suppression of free speech. Which needs to be stifled. We should have the RIGHT to free speech on forums. Yes, this is an international forum. Some other countries might not have such rights. **** them. Freedom of speech is not some weird American right that ought to be left out of public forums. It's a human right, that is frequently taken away from people, even though it's clearly a universal human need to be heard by someone.

You don't like what a person has to say? Here's a handy hint. Click on their name. Click on the option that says Ignore. Stop listening to them. But "the right to shut other people up" should not be a right of a forum member. The same people who have no qualms about Reporting people would probably hurt or kill others if they were on the street saying something they didn't like.

Here's an example of the sort of crap that would possibly get a lawsuit under this. And here's not.
  • Not spreading the teachings of Ungorr the Untamed
  • Not for promoting certain political ideas
  • Not even for being a member of a racist group
  • Being banned for openly discussing COVID-19
  • Being banned for being Jewish or Christian on a Muslim-heavy forum
That's mostly it. Censorship of unpopular ideas is a no, having unpopular ideas is a yes. But people are free to spin it like "Trump is gonna censor us all." That's because you didn't properly read the context of why he did this. He did it because he was reported for "promoting violence" when he claimed that people will probably protest certain laws or something. I forget his exact words, cuz I read it like a week or two ago.

February-Saturday

Devil Worshiper
If you're concerned about still accessing social media, I would get a bootable USB with TAILS. People over on Reddit in /r/tails, /r/privacy, and /r/tor have a lot of resources for people that might be less familiar with the process. At the very least, I recommend looking into privacytools.io

After you go through that trouble, there are a number of Tor IRCs, and a few social media platforms that will be a lot harder to censor because they're distributed P2P networks. Matrix and Diaspora are good examples of that.

They might become necessary if you want to have open conversations at some point in the future. In China, people use P2P networks using Tor through VPN as a way to have open conversations, and it works. I don't know how easy it is for the average user to figure out, but the process is becoming more streamlined and user-friendly as the privacy movement grows.

I just figured I would spread this information to those who might not have it and are afraid they're going to be silenced tomorrow. There are ways to keep the internet free, and there are always going to be people working for that. But as soon as the entire concept is outlawed, it's going to be a lot harder to find and join them.