• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Excuse my ignorance, but a question about lesbians

Uberpod

Technically Brando was bi, not gay, so I guess that wasn't a very good example for me to use, anyway, People seem to think all gay people are flamboyant, because that is the only ones that they actually notice. People never notice the masculine ones because everyone always assumes they are straight.

I believe gay guys show a range of flamboyance. Most - say sixty percent can be picked out of a crowd by your average straight woman. Another 25 percent are more subtle but easily spotted by other gay guys. That leaves about 15 percent that are indistinguishable from straight guys unless you ask 'em.

Triumphant_Loser

Libertarian Egalitarian
I believe gay guys show a range of flamboyance. Most - say sixty percent can be picked out of a crowd by your average straight woman. Another 25 percent are more subtle but easily spotted by other gay guys. That leaves about 15 percent that are indistinguishable from straight guys unless you ask 'em.

I'm curious to know what source you got those percentages from.

Alceste

Vagabond
Technically Brando was bi, not gay, so I guess that wasn't a very good example for me to use, anyway, People seem to think all gay people are flamboyant, because that is the only ones that they actually notice. People never notice the masculine ones because everyone always assumes they are straight.

Yes, this is so embarrassingly obvious when you actually get to know some ordinary, every day gay people. It always makes me cringe. If I've learned anything over the years, it's this: if you're dying to know which team a person is batting for, you're just gonna have to ask. Once you take off the blinders sexual stereotyping constructs for you, there's no other way to be sure.

Uberpod

Yes, this is so embarrassingly obvious when you actually get to know some ordinary, every day gay people. It always makes me cringe. If I've learned anything over the years, it's this: if you're dying to know which team a person is batting for, you're just gonna have to ask. Once you take off the blinders sexual stereotyping constructs for you, there's no other way to be sure.
Yet people can spot gayness from impoverished facial pics alone above chance. Why do you think that is?

Alceste

Vagabond

Wrong. So, so wrong. The only thing that is notable about average, every day gay men is that they MIGHT be a little better groomed, better behaved and better dressed than your average straight guy. MIGHT. And you have to really be looking to see it. And even then, you might just be looking at a lawyer on his day off or some damn thing, and he could just be a straight guy who isn't into you, personally.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
For a transgendered person you seem pretty rigid.

Why? Because I don't like insulting language? What were you expecting?

That is the point (it's true and there is nothing wrong with it, btw.) , and it is the opposite of what another post said which is the reason a mentioned it.

You have yet to demonstrate that it is true.

Uberpod

Being able to score "above chance" on a sexuality guessing test is a pretty far cry from your claim that women can pick out well over half of the gay men walking down the street.

Okay how about this: Observers in Study 1 assessed sexual orientation with high accuracy. For example, based on our operationalization of judged sexual orientation 81% of all targets were accurately judged based on only a few seconds of observation of each.

Dissecting "gaydar": Accuracy and the role of masculinity-femininity. | Steve Garcia - Academia.edu

Alceste

Vagabond
Okay how about this: Observers in Study 1 assessed sexual orientation with high accuracy. For example, based on our operationalization of judged sexual orientation 81% of all targets were accurately judged based on only a few seconds of observation of each.

Dissecting "gaydar": Accuracy and the role of masculinity-femininity. | Steve Garcia - Academia.edu

81% accurate? You'd score higher by just assuming everybody is straight, since less than 3% of the population identifies as gay in most studies.

Uberpod

81% accurate? You'd score higher by just assuming everybody is straight, since less than 3% of the population identifies as gay in most studies.
Wrong -- the sample consisted of approximately 25 % each: gay men, gay women, straight men, and straight women.

Amandi

Alceste

Vagabond
Wrong -- the sample consisted of approximately 25 % each: gay men, gay women, straight men, and straight women.

Yeah, just read it. You're gonna get a more outwardly demonstrative bunch of gay people if you're in an urban centre (like Chicago), if you're looking for paid volunteers for a sexuality study, and if you're placing your ads in "Gay Chicago". Sure, if a homosexual chooses to dress and behave in a way that is consistent with cultural stereotypes, they're obviously easy to spot. That's not going to help you figure out if your boss, your teacher, or your dentist is gay, though.

Alceste

Vagabond
Well, for one thing it nice to know if you are barking up the wrong tree. :sad:

Ain't that the truth! But not being into my gender at all is, sadly, only one of millions of possible reasons somebody might not want to date me. :D

Uberpod

Yeah, just read it. You're gonna get a more outwardly demonstrative bunch of gay people if you're in an urban centre (like Chicago), if you're looking for paid volunteers for a sexuality study, and if you're placing your ads in "Gay Chicago". Sure, if a homosexual chooses to dress and behave in a way that is consistent with cultural stereotypes, they're obviously easy to spot. That's not going to help you figure out if your boss, your teacher, or your dentist is gay, though.
yeah - they also recruited from craigslist job listing that's where they got the straights too. The sample may be a tad skewed, but researchers can never really get those deeply hidden in the closet. Why would queeny guys be more willing to join the study than more masculine out gays?? And why didn't the queeny straights show up??

I think this is good but not ironclad evidence for my point if view. Where are the studies offering the view that gays are indistinguishable from straights? I am waiting.

Amandi

Well, for one thing it nice to know if you are barking up the wrong tree. :sad:
If you bark up a tree and they are interested then it is the right tree, if they arent it is the wrong tree. If you dont like effimanate men or masculin women then dont bark up those trees. If you do, then bark away and if they bark back go for it. If not the move on to the next tree.

Alceste

Vagabond
yeah - they also recruited from craigslist job listing that's where they got the straights too. The sample may be a tad skewed, but researchers can never really get those deeply hidden in the closet. Why would queeny guys be more willing to join the study than more masculine out gays?? And why didn't the queeny straights show up??

I think this is good but not ironclad evidence for my point if view. Where are the studies offering the view that gays are indistinguishable from straights? I am waiting.

If I'm a Toronto Maple Leafs fan, but I don't subscribe to "Toronto Maple Leaf Digest", wear their caps and T Shirts around, go to any games, or apply for gigs talking about how my passion for hockey affects my lifestyle, would you say I'm "deeply in the closet"? Isn't it possible that being a hockey fan is only one facet of my life, and maybe not the most important one?

Yes, if someone's wearing a Leafs jersey you can probably pick out their favorite team 81% of the time. But how do you identify a Leafs fan who isn't sporting the gack? You just have to ask. That's my point.

Btw, your study said nothing about "queeny". The rating scale was from "homosexual" to "straight", not "effeminate" to "masculine".

Last edited: