• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"EXCLUSIVE" Churches/Temples....

Comet

Harvey Wallbanger
Do you believe a church or temple should be open to all? Do you think the church/temple should be an asset to it's community? Should not a place of worship be accepting of all who wish to worship there?

If not, then why? If you agree, I have a story for you then...

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Church buildings are supposed to allow anyone to enter, as the message is open to everyone. I know of very few exclusive Church gatherings. I can't speak for other faiths.

Comet

Harvey Wallbanger
Church buildings are supposed to allow anyone to enter, as the message is open to everyone. I know of very few exclusive Church gatherings. I can't speak for other faiths.

If I told you I put out emails and phone calls to over 50 churches/temples this past week and that only 4 were willing to meet with me.... what would you say? If I had asked them for spiritual help for "lepers" in society, would they not help or at least listen?

4 of 50 have answered the call, 3 others listened but do not return the call..... Those 4 who have met with me are surprised at the reaction of the religious community! The 2nd who met with me even said that most churches don't care about anybody but their own congregation and they don't care about things that effect the community till it effects THEIR church....

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Do you believe a church or temple should be open to all? Do you think the church/temple should be an asset to it's community? Should not a place of worship be accepting of all who wish to worship there?

LDS churches are open to all, regardless of religious beliefs. LDS temples are open only to those who have, by their faithfulness to certain principles, proven that they are capable of understanding additional truths and are willing to make eternal covenants with God. Few people realize the extent to which esoteric practices were a part of the first century Christian Church, probably because they were esoteric. ;) So, to answer your question, I believe that it is absolutely fine for there to be restrictions on who can participate in certain types of worship and on who is permitted to enter certain religious buildings.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
If I told you I put out emails and phone calls to over 50 churches/temples this past week and that only 4 were willing to meet with me.... what would you say? If I had asked them for spiritual help for "lepers" in society, would they not help or at least listen?

4 of 50 have answered the call, 3 others listened but do not return the call..... Those 4 who have met with me are surprised at the reaction of the religious community! The 2nd who met with me even said that most churches don't care about anybody but their own congregation and they don't care about things that effect the community till it effects THEIR church....

I'm not surprised but saddened. Churches are supposed to be their for anybody who needs help. The question-"would Jesus approve of this?" would be answered "NO".

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon

Well in order to comment, I'd have to have a little bit more information. What specifically did you want from these churches and how did you present your case?

Comet

Harvey Wallbanger
Well in order to comment, I'd have to have a little bit more information. What specifically did you want from these churches and how did you present your case?

Sorry for the late reply, haven't been around much. To answer your question more in depth, I'd have to PM you. Yet, I'll briefly answer it here:

Say I used to be a prostitute and turned my life around. I since met other prostitutes who confided in me and wished for help. With the help of some I could offer them places to stay, even new jobs. Yet, I couldn't offer them all the healing they need to move past such chapters in their lives.

So, I contact local churches/temples etc... I explain who I am and what I am trying to do. DOORS ARE SLAMMED UPON ME! So, I learn to say less till they are willing to talk. Then I tell them my personal story and how I moved on from it. I tell them that others in their community need help as well, that some may be members of their church/faith. I ask them to help, I tell them that even Jesus loved prostitutes, that the word is about love, forgiveness, etc... I'd even quote Biblical Scripture to them to reference. Is not a church there to make its community better? To help those in need? To aid those that seek help?

SLAM! SLAM! SLAM! 4 of 50 opened their doors to aid for a cause such as the one I mentioned here. Would it not be a worthy cause? Not only for the community to be better but for people to heal in the love that God's people can offer? If I doubled the numbers and had the same results: 92% would shun the whore who wished to change their life! 92% SHUN! What odds do you give that person of changing their life then?????

Dunemeister

Most churches have always been open to the public. The infant church reserved communion only for verified members, though. Catechumens and visitors would not be permitted to witness that ceremony. That stricture is now largely ignored. I'm not aware of any church or denomination (certainly none that are mainstream) that are so exclusive as not to permit people from different faiths from attending.

cardero

Citizen Mod

When it comes to a relationship with GOD and where to go to conduct this relationship, I think it is important for people to realize that they already have their very own exclusive temple. It is not somewhere that requires transportation, it is not an area that requires a zoning permit or faithful principals to attend and it is not a structure that someone has to wonder whether it will be opened or locked when they get there.

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
I'm not surprised but saddened. Churches are supposed to be their for anybody who needs help. The question-"would Jesus approve of this?" would be answered "NO".

Does not surprise me one bit. When I got myself into a pickle a couple years ago, and needed a roof over my head, I called all the churches in my area to see if they could help in some way. Because I am white, male, single, not a recently released convict, not a parent, not a current member of their church they could not help me at all. Many told me if even just one of those conditions was different they could help me. If it was not for direct intervention from God Himself I would be dead in a ditch by now, because "The Church" certainly did not give a hoot about me.