• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Excavating Apollonia/Arsuf (Phoenicians to Crusaders and what's in between) my work for this month

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Didnt have much time to take photos today.. but we filled dozens of buckets with a great amount of pottery we dug up at the wine press.. here's a sample:

DSC03657.jpg

Here's one of the madmen on my team. yes, he is charging me riding on a bulldozer.

DSC03656.jpg

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Well, today was the last day of the season, we had great timing as at the end of yesterday's dig we exposed the secondary fermentation pit, in all its beauty. I might dig next week as well in a small area we just discovered mosaic at.
it was a great season, great fun, hot Israeli sun, cold beers, lovely British lady-students, dipping in the sea in the after work hours, and doing some more drinking sessions at the bars at the beach at night. the discoveries were great and surprising, and next season should turn out to be interesting as well!

Secondary fermentation pit, all exposed!

DSC03670.jpg

DSC03672.jpg

DSC03679.jpg

DSC03689.jpg

Ruins of the Crusaders port:

DSC03694.jpg

DSC03693.jpg

DSC03699.jpg

DSC03698.jpg

Last edited:

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Cheers! the guys at the dig loved the vid.

OK Im just about off for another day of digging, but as this time its me and a few more 'veteran' guys volunteering we can afford to get up and get on site in saner hours.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
A nice Crusaders plate piece I dug out today:

DSC03808.jpg

DSC03810.jpg

DSC03813.jpg

Crusaders trench, in previous seasons some interesting warfare finds and artifacts were dug out of this area, ancient grenades, arrowheads, etc.

DSC03797.jpg

In the Crusaders fortress of Arsuf:

DSC03782.jpg

Dining hall:

DSC03783.jpg

DanLevel.jpg