• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Examples of "fake news"?

leibowde84

Veteran Member
I often hear Trump and his supporters refer to "fake news", yet I have yet to see examples of this backed up by evidence. The term "fake news" was originally referring to false stories put out on social media from forged sources (like cnn.co.com). These were mainly false stories against Hillary and other Democrats ... e.g., Pizzagate.

Trump supporters, can you provide any examples of "fake news" from the mainstream media critical of Trump that have been proven false but weren't retracted?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I often hear Trump and his supporters refer to "fake news", yet I have yet to see examples of this backed up by evidence. The term "fake news" was originally referring to false stories put out on social media from forged sources (like cnn.co.com). These were mainly false stories against Hillary and other Democrats ... e.g., Pizzagate.

Trump supporters, can you provide any examples of "fake news" from the mainstream media critical of Trump that have been proven false but weren't retracted?
Tricky you are.
You ask only Trump "supporters".
There is the group of people who see false stories, yet aren't supporters.

NPR has frequently misquoted Trump's comment about criminals coming from Mexico.
If they've retracted it, I've never heard it.
They also made baseless claims that he hired illegal aliens to build his properties.
Retracted? I've yet to find any evidence.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
Tricky you are.

NPR has frequently misquoted Trump's comment about criminals coming from Mexico.
They also made baseless claims that he hired illegal aliens to build his properties.
Can you provide the links for these stories?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber

Can we move beyond this? Are you even serious about this thread (you should know the answers to your own questions before they are even posted)? Must we really keep making a new separate thread for every god damned time Trump lies or accuses someone of being from the "fake news?"
He's an insecure liar who will take the easiest out available to try to protect his image while discrediting others. We've known this for a very long time now. It would be just as productive to make a new thread every time Trump's twitter feed suggests he's being lazy, or a new thread for every time he wipes his *** with tax payer money by taking weekend trips to his resorts.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
This was true. Undocumented Polish Immigrants cleared the location where Trump Tower was going up.
What Donald Trump Knew About Undocumented Workers at His Signature Tower
Clinton says Trump Tower built by undocumented workers
New Evidence Shows that Trump Knowingly used Illegal Labor to Construct Trump Tower
... and there are many other sources that provide evidence of this.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
Can we move beyond this? Are you even serious about this thread (you should know the answers to your own questions before they are even posted)? Must we really keep making a new separate thread for every god damned time Trump lies or accuses someone of being from the "fake news?"
He's an insecure liar who will take the easiest out available to try to protect his image while discrediting others. We've known this for a very long time now. It would be just as productive to make a new thread every time Trump's twitter feed suggests he's being lazy, or a new thread for every time he wipes his *** with tax payer money by taking weekend trips to his resorts.
I'm interested in figuring out what is meant by fake news. Supporters throw around this term, but they fail to back it up with evidence. I'd just like to understand where they (not Trump) are coming from.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
This was true. Undocumented Polish Immigrants cleared the location where Trump Tower was going up.
What Donald Trump Knew About Undocumented Workers at His Signature Tower
Clinton says Trump Tower built by undocumented workers
New Evidence Shows that Trump Knowingly used Illegal Labor to Construct Trump Tower
... and there are many other sources that provide evidence of this.
What they said was not true.
He's undocumented labor to build the Trump Tower. He underpaid undocumented workers and when they complained, he basically said what a lot of employers do - you complain I’ll get you deported.
This is entirely unsupported.
They justified it by citing actions of a contractor, & then hinting that Trump might've known.
It's fake news because it's simply twisting facts to suggest something unsupported.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Where did they misquote Trump on this?
Typically, they avoid citing his actual statement, & will instead paraphrase
it to match their inference, ie, that he referred to all Mexican immigrants.

A favorite NPR trick is to interview anti-Trump people who will give their personal
version of a Trump quote, & then treat that as an actual quote. In effect, the
reporting is about how they feel about what he said.

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
Tricky you are.

Correct. And what if it is an editorial? CNN and BBC political correspondents write opinion pieces all the time. They take creative liberties as well. I think we need to define what we mean by "fake news" before we move forward.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
What they said was not true.

This is entirely unsupported.
They justified it by citing actions of a contractor, & then hinting that he might've known.
It's fake news because it's simply twisting facts to suggest something unsupported.
This is a quote from Hillary Clinton, which doesn't qualify as a news outlet. Did NPR claim that it was accurate?

Other than intent (and ethical questions that go along with it), what is the practical difference between deliberate 'fake news', and unintentionally fake news?

Ignoring partisan politics, bias, etc. media still produces large quantities of unintentionally inaccurate stories. From the perspective of the audience, is there a substantial difference between being misinformed deliberately or accidentally (mendaciousness v ignorance)?

leibowde84

Veteran Member
Typically, they avoid citing his actual statement, & will instead paraphrase
it to match their inference, ie, that he referred to all Mexican immigrants.

A favorite NPR trick is to interview anti-Trump people who will give their personal
version of a Trump quote, & then treat that as an actual quote. In effect, the
reporting is about how they feel about what he said.
OK, but can you provide an example of this? That is what I'm asking about. I'm interested in seeing an actual instance where they did this.

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
I'm interested in figuring out what is meant by fake news. Supporters throw around this term, but they fail to back it up with evidence. I'd just like to understand where they (not Trump) are coming from.
You have to be careful because you have created a wide sweeping thread without a specific example yourself. I am not saying it doesn't happen, I am simply pointing out by immediately polarizing the discussion, you might not get the replies you were hoping for.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Correct. And what if it is an editorial? CNN and BBC political correspondents write opinion pieces all the time. They take creative liberties as well. I think we need to define what we mean by "fake news" before we move forward.
I started a whole thread about the meaning of "fake news".
Alas, the term has become irreversibly broadened.
Ref....
Fake & Other News

leibowde84

Veteran Member
Other than intent (and ethical questions that go along with it), what is the practical difference between deliberate 'fake news', and unintentionally fake news?

Ignoring partisan politics, bias, etc. media still produces large quantities of unintentionally inaccurate stories. From the perspective of the audience, is there a substantial difference between being misinformed deliberately or accidentally (mendaciousness v ignorance)?
If it is accidental, it isn't fake news. Every news outlet is going to make mistakes. That should be expected, as they aren't perfect. I would assume fake news would have to be intentionally deceiving.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
You have to be careful because you have created a wide sweeping thread without a specific example yourself. I am not saying it doesn't happen, I am simply pointing out by immediately polarizing the discussion, you might not get the replies you were hoping for.
I'm just asking for examples.