• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Examples of community service of your community and its members

Jim

Nets of Wonder
Note: In this thread I’m reporting violations of the rule against debating in this Interfaith Discussion forum. Also, off-topic preaching. Anyone who wants to give me advice can do it here: Nobody here understands me!

This is for a different approach I’m considering for improving cross-divide relationships. Not that it’s anything new, just different from what I’ve been posting about in these forums. This is for people who are, or would like to be, part of a movement for more fellowship and collaboration across the widest divides that people think of as belief divides.

The idea is for people who are or want to be part of that movement to look in both directions across those divides for examples of communities and their members being involved in some of the same kinds of community service that we and our communities are involved in, and learn more about them.

Anyone who wants to can help by posting examples of community service that you and/or your religious or non-religious community are involved in. “Community service” includes economic and social development projects, and all levels from a neighborhood or village to global. Individually for example it could be going vegan or otherwise reducing your carbon footprint.

Last edited:

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Over here there's a two acre community garden where some food goes to volunteers but the bulk goes to food kitchens, low income families and elderly homes. I love volunteering there.

PrairiePoppy

At this current moment, we (my small group of peers) haven't been involved in anything particularly huge, but we help out local Thrift stores out whenever we can by donating fresh non-used goods or repaired goods, so that they might sell a less worn product at a cheaper price for those in need. Buying things at a thrift store is a necessity for some. Finding that one shirt that fits just right (with no holes or wear), or a flashlight that's in great condition at a fraction of the price can really elevate your mood in hard times.

In addition to this, I often offer to volunteer my services at local libraries. Sweeping, organizing shelves, and dusting the computer labs. Libraries helped me keep my head straight. When I was homeless, knowing I could go in and read a good book and clear my head really got me through some tough times. That sort of thing. Libraries are there to serve the community. They are a treasure trove of information, and provide nigh endless free entertainment and luxuries, so I feel the need to give back as my way of showing my appreciation.

Jim

Nets of Wonder
People working side-by-side in community service with people across from them over divides that people think of as belief divides, might be one of the best responses to the worst things happening in the world today. We can’t do that physically in Internet forums, but we can do it in our hearts and minds, which I think is what really matters.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
This is for a different approach I’m considering for improving cross-divide relationships. Not that it’s anything new, just different from what I’ve been posting about in these forums. This is for people who are, or would like to be, part of a movement for more fellowship and collaboration across the widest divides that people think of as belief divides.

The idea is for people who are or want to be part of that movement to look in both directions across those divides for examples of communities and their members being involved in some of the same kinds of community service that we and our communities are involved in, and learn more about them.

Anyone who wants to can help by posting examples of community service that you and/or your religious or non-religious community are involved in. “Community service” includes economic and social development projects, and all levels from a neighborhood or village to global. Individually for example it could be going vegan or otherwise reducing your carbon footprint.
I have not done much of community service I am afraid. They seem to involve a lot of socializing, something that I find stressful.

PrairiePoppy

I have not done much of community service I am afraid. They seem to involve a lot of socializing, something that I find stressful.

It all depends where you look. There are plenty of ways to anonymously help your community. You could find yourself a quiet road in the early morn, and clean up any refuse. Just put in some headphones and get to cleaning your local roadways. (Mak sure to wear a reflective jacket, or bright colours though, safety first.) That's something I believe everyone can appreciate, even if they cant put a face to whomever it is that is keeping their path to and from neat and tidy. But I can sympathize with the struggle of being antisocial or shy. I used to find it difficult to interact with people in my youth, but my community, family and friends have helped me cross that bridge. In time, and you can do anything as long as you put in the legwork.

Reactions: Jim

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
It all depends where you look. There are plenty of ways to anonymously help your community. You could find yourself a quiet road in the early morn, and clean up any refuse. Just put in some headphones and get to cleaning your local roadways. (Mak sure to wear a reflective jacket, or bright colours though, safety first.) That's something I believe everyone can appreciate, even if they cant put a face to whomever it is that is keeping their path to and from neat and tidy. But I can sympathize with the struggle of being antisocial or shy. I used to find it difficult to interact with people in my youth, but my community, family and friends have helped me cross that bridge. In time, and you can do anything as long as you put in the legwork.
You clearly don't know India. :p
Such sights are reasonably common. You expect one or two people to clean this?
BLACK_SPOTS_MAKE.jpg

And where would the collected garbage go anyway, its not as if cities have any kind of reasonable or rational garbage collection system. ;)

Jim

Nets of Wonder
It can be anything you're doing, online or offline, in any part of your life, that might be doing some other people some good, and/or if you see yourself as part of some religious or non-religious community, anything that community or any of its members are doing that might be doing some other people some good.

(edit) Some of your posts have done me a lot of good, so there you are. There’s your example of community service. Also, if you see yourself as part of some religious or non-religious community, you can ask some other people in that community for examples of what they or the community are doing, that might be doing some other people some good.

Last edited:

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
It can be anything you're doing, online or offline, in any part of your life, that might be doing some other people some good, and/or if you see yourself as part of some religious or non-religious community, anything that community or any of its members are doing that might be doing some other people some good.

(edit) Some of your posts have done me a lot of good, so there you are. There’s your example of community service. Also, if you see yourself as part of some religious or non-religious community, you can ask some other people in that community for examples of what they or the community are doing, that might be doing some other people some good.
Yes, I understand. As I have said before, I work mostly in the area of mitigating pollution, improving energy sustainability and decreasing the impact of climate change. Currently I am working on developing and certifying a biofuel for aeroplane engines that is produced from agricultural waste.

Some other research projects I am thinking about working on in the next ten years include,
1) Direct extraction of CO2 from atmosphere (or effluent stream of a powerplant) and reconverting it back to hydrocarbons.
2) Developing natural gas powered engines for 2 and 3 wheeler vehicles that are popular in India. Moving them from gasoline to natural gas will help mitigate emission and pollution.
3) Thermal management technology for high powered batteries in the context of hot tropical environment where battery overheating is a hazard and decreases battery. Expect it to be a major bottleneck for large scale electrification of cars and trucks in tropics.

These are the goals. Let's see how they pan out. Need to seek funding sources if these are going to be realized. So this year I will be doing some scoping and networking....more socializing..ugh! :p

dianaiad

That's OK. I too hate parties, gatherings of large parties of all sizes, and organizations that have (gasp) chairwomen and chairmen on 'councils.' Not to mention that at the moment, about the ONLY socializing I do is on the internet, except for going to church on Sunday and I can't always do that.

There are ways around that. Even severe agoraphobics can so some of these, that I have done and continue to do.

Knit or crochet stuff. chemo hats, lap blankets, toys for children in hospitals that must have things that can be put in sterilizing equipment. One can join guilds, etc., and socialize like crazy. There are a great many such guilds all over and most people love joining and participating. I don't....and it's OK. Most of those guilds take contributions from 'outside.'

Of course, if you are one of those who think that knitting, crocheting and sewing are not macho enough, there is a gentleman who comes around the chemo infusion centers to give every woman undergoing cancer treatment a beautifully carved ostrich egg, some highly decorated a la those Russian bejeweled eggs that are so precious. He does it in memory of his wife, who died of breast cancer awhile ago. He does it in spite of the fact that HE is battling cancer himself.

I have two of them. They are real symbols of hope.

I do not "garden for others," but I know those who do. the population I work with is quite often told NOT to eat raw foods of any sort. I certainly have been told that several times.

However, if you know what the guidelines are for patients who are on 'chemo diets' which are really picky about foods that may carry bacteria that the rest of us would laugh off...and might kill them...if you are a good cook, use those guidelines (they are on the internet...) and make things to tempt picky appetites. Taste buds do mean things to chemo patients, and nausea is pretty much universal.. Restrict your efforts to patients who are relatives or really good friends, though. Most groups will turn you down if you contribute through them, because of the 'I don't know you and I don't have a clue how you made them" factor.

Make comfort blankets and 'hug sweaters' for shelter dogs. Foster rescue animals, if you can. Of course, the problem there is letting the puppy go after taking care of it for weeks...but hey. It's something that doesn't require socializing with people all that often. ;)

Let's see...what else...

I received a very special gift from someone a couple of years ago; a hand carved spindle for spinning wool. Beautifully carved and stained; it's a treasure. If you are good with that sort of thing, there are cancer patients and other people suffering who could really use something like that to help them do what they might not be able to do...that is, sit down at a $1000 spinning wheel, even if they had one. Besides, it's something that is fairly easy to learn and produces wonderful stuff. To knit and crochet with. Or weave with. Or whatever....

Make lap blankets for Wounded Warriors.

Make hats and mitts...and tragically, burial clothing...for premies. You have NO idea how very much such things are appreciated, especially when a little extra effort goes into them to make them special while still appropriate for the tiniest babies in the NICU. You can deliver them straight TO the NICU. Just call them first to make sure you are knitting/crocheting/sewing with the appropriate fiber/fabrics and using the right techniques. Oh...just as a personal bit of advice...don't crochet for premies. The resulting fabric isn't soft enough. But you CAN crochet those great little head bands for babies who are bigger and older.

Blankets for homeless children are always welcome; deliver them yourself to the local shelters.

Keep your eyes open for people who are asking for donations of such things for specific disaster efforts. Send them something.

I think you can see that I'm a bit onesided here; you can tell where my interests lie. (grin)

But that's what I know how to do, and that's what I CAN do.

Oh, that, and I tutor kids who are in trouble; those who have been kicked out of high school, or are in 'juvie hall,' or who are developmentally disabled but are 'mainstream' anyway. You know, the high school freshman who can't say three words unless 'f***" is one of 'em? I'm the teacher on the other side of the computer. Online tutoring. It's more fun than pretty much anything else I do, because those kids, when they interact with me, don't have to impress anybody but themselves. It was great to see that 'f-bomb' thrower go from a third grade reading level to wanting to take calculus and being disappointed because I couldn't tutor him in that.

Now I have the state credentials and training for this...but the only thing that does for me is make it easier to find pupils. Some of the very best such tutors I know have only high school diplomas. What they HAVE is the love for the kids they work with.

OK, I know that you folks have other 'hidden talents' that you can use, personally and without socializing much, to help others. I only mentioned....at great length, it looks like...the few things I can do.

I like this thread and idea. I hope I didn't just bog it down. Any other ideas?

if your interests lie else where...

Jim

Nets of Wonder
I love these responses, but now I don’t know what to do with them! I’m not sure that what I might want to do is even possible to do, in public, in a forum like this. I’ll give an example of how I might apply my idea to myself. Thinking about what communities I feel most divided from, I thought of some forum communities (not this one), and a few religious and non-religious factions that seem to me to be promoting the worst kinds of attitudes and behavior towards people outside of them. To practice my idea, I would want to find some community service activities of those communities and/or some of their members, that look good to me, and have them tell me stories about those activities.

I don’t see any possibility of that happening in public, in a forum like this. What I might do is look in the DIR forums of the factions I’m thinking of, and PM some of the people posting there, to ask them about whatever community service activities their communities and/or some of their members are involved in.

dianaiad

BLACK_SPOTS_MAKE.jpg

And where would the collected garbage go anyway, its not as if cities have any kind of reasonable or rational garbage collection system. ;)

One or two people can't 'clean this.'

However, one or two people can clean a little of 'this.'

Or...most states in the US have an 'adopt a highway' program, where you can apply to the state to be responsible for a mile or two of the interestate freeway system. You get a sign (that you have to pay for) that tells drivers what section you are responsible for, and there you are. You get to keep a little section of highway clean and refuse free.

We've been doing this for awhile. I drive that road (well, I go through Vegas to get to Utah) once or twice a year. I remember the roads being this nasty.

They aren't any more, because 'one or two people,' multiplied by thousands, take care of it.
mint-400-dash-for-trash-desert-clean-up-013.jpg
and it's something you can do without getting all social with a huge group, if you don't want to do that.

Mind you, groups are GOOD at doing this stuff, if that floats your boat. I hate groups.

...........and there is always the 'model' prisoner and 'community service hours' folks who do this sort of thing all the time. That's not strictly volunteer, though, when you think about it.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
In our neck of the woods, about 50 churches who work together to improve the community from fixing houses of people who are in need and can't do it themselves, to upgrading public schools, to individual budgeting with physical need helps and counseling

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
- ;)

On the road to Palani from Madurai we drove through a village that had taken collective action to keep it clean. Not sure if it was the road through town, or the entire town, but it was quite the break, and demonstrative of where there's a will, there's a way. It took us quite the while to get used to it. I'd love it if India cleaned up.

As for Jim's thread, we have a food bank donation box at our temple. It gets picked up every second week or so. It gets lots of donations too.

Reactions: Jim

Jim

Nets of Wonder
I said that when I think of what communities I feel most divided from, I think of some forum communities (not at Religious Forums). Now I’m planning to go to one of those forums and start a discussion like this, looking for examples of community service that look good to me.

Jim

Nets of Wonder
Thanks to everyone who posted in this thread. Those were some good examples of what I was thinking of as “community service.” My idea here was, for people working to help reduce animosities and hostilities across religious divides, to learn about community service activities that look good to you, of people in religious and non-religious communities across the widest divides from yours; then think of yourself working side by side with them on those activities.

I’m trying that now myself, with one of the religious factions that I’ve felt alienated from the most, and with one of the forum communities that I’ve felt alienated from the most.

Samana Johann

Restricted by request
In this thread I’m reporting violations of the rule against debating in this Interfaith Discussion forum.

Building communities and harmony, if one wishes, Brahman Jim, starts with virtues, skills that one gives, and the first is generosity. The very enemy of gaining benevolence is demanding.

Right view, gratitude that comes from it, is the very base of all good undertakings. Not a gratitude toward a higher, but simply by knowning that others made sacrifices and such is not something easy to do.

Since it seems a huge desire of Brahman Jim, to unite people, or to find united communities, my person shares some general teachings on Sangha vatthu, (bonds or base for fellowship). They are:

Sangaha Sutta: The Bonds of Fellowship

There are these four grounds for the bonds of fellowship. Which four? Generosity, kind words, beneficial help, consistency. These are the four grounds for the bonds of fellowship."

Generosity, kind words, beneficial help,
& consistency in the face of events,
in line with what's appropriate
in each case, each case.

These bonds of fellowship [function]
in the world like the linchpin in a moving cart.
Now, if these bonds of fellowship were lacking,
a mother would not receive the honor
& respect owed by her child,
nor would a father receive what his child owes him.
But because the wise show regard for these bonds of fellowship,
they achieve greatness and are praised.

1. Generosity
2. Moral behaviour, virtue
3. Help upwardly
4. Impartiality

A sample of winning a large following: Hatthaka Sutta: About Hatthaka (2)

And a related discussion on the best way and kind of this four ways of helping: A blessing for your ways to help: សង្គហសិវៈបានំ Saŋgha seva pānaṁ

May Brahman Jim not hesitate to adress any issue and also feel always welcome to make what ever good use of the resources given here.

At least, Brahman Jim might love this reflection of a late German Brahman: [Deutsch] Wege zur Eintracht - Dr. Hecker

There is of cause lot more, but generally, if one desires for harmony such needs to be trained at the smallest unity first: from a peaceful own heart comes peace within near relation, ...family, ... village, ... country, ... world. It wouldn't work in the other direction, by claiming, demanding, forcing desires, ways all kind of marxism usually work. They are all destined to large disasters because build on delusion and ignoring the reality that no being loves others more than himself. So it's good if able to teach others to start to love them selfs in the right way that wouldn't cause them suffering, i.e. faith in good actions, generosity, moral conduct, ... and such can be only transported by simply conduct by one self virtuous, walk the talk of goodness "authentically".

May it be of help for Brahman Jims heart, all others and their communities they desire for.