• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Example: Jews. Christians. Muslims worship the same God of Abraham

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
How does theology explain the context of the bible as teaching Jesus as God? I know Im not a expert; but, reading the Bible I dont see Jesus as God. I mean, isnt theology based on Church teachings?
Of course it is. But you've got to remember that the bible isn't the sum total of "church teaching" -- it's only part of "church teaching" -- and not the oldest part. The church was around for 450 years before the canon was set.

No, the texts don't explicitly say, "Jesus is God." But it is implied. Take a look, for example, at the gospel of Luke. The birth narrative is a blatant plagiarism of the miraculous birth of Augustus (who was seen as divine).

Also, the very fact that Jesus was able to effect resurrection is a HUGE tip-off that the gospel writers saw him as Divine (or God), for only God is immortal and can effect resurrection.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Actually the concept of a "resurrection" does not imply divinity but favor instead.

Yoshua

I thought of this after coming home from skating. Don't know why.

:boom:All three religions JCM respectively came from and worship the God of Abraham; yet, it only seems that some Christians think otherwise. Why?

1. There is only one Creator

All JCM believes this.

Muslim: http://www.patheos.com/Library/Islam/Origins/Beginnings
Judaism: http://www.bible.ca/trinity/trinity-oneness-unity-one-god.htm
Christianity: 21. John 17:3 — And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.

:leafwind:If all three relgions came from the God of Abraham and they all state there is one Creator and one God only, then it is true that they worship one Creator between them all.

2. The Creator-the Father has characteristics himself.

All JCM believe this

Muslim: http://www.aljazeerah.info/Islamic Editorials/2010/October/Allah, As He Described Himself in the Holy Quran By Hassan Ali El-Najjar.htm
Judaism http://www.jewfaq.org/m/g-d.htm:
Christianity: https://bible.org/seriespage/5-characteristics-god (This was kinda hard due to the trinity)

What is the catch that makes people think they are not all the same God? The trinity. An age old debate that will not be replayed here.

If Jesus were God, that would not change a thing. Because there would be still be God the Father. God the Son. and God the Holy Spirit.

:cherryblossom:All JCM believe God the Father. Why do some Christians believe otherwise?

Hi Carlita,

We may say that it seems the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob is the same God for Muslim, but in reality, do they follow Christ's teachings? They have their own Bible (Quran), which is purely not the same as the Holy Bible. Other religious group such as Mormons, JW's, Church of Christ, 7th Day Adventist etc.. claimed that they believe the God who is in the Bible. This could not be the gauge that they truly adhere to the teachings of God through Christ.

Thanks

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Hi Carlita,

We may say that it seems the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob is the same God for Muslim, but in reality, do they follow Christ's teachings? They have their own Bible (Quran), which is purely not the same as the Holy Bible. Other religious group such as Mormons, JW's, Church of Christ, 7th Day Adventist etc.. claimed that they believe the God who is in the Bible. This could not be the gauge that they truly adhere to the teachings of God through Christ.

Thanks

I understand your point of view. Objectively, there is only One God of Abraham. Our views do not color the main tenent of Abrahamic faith: The Creator.

Our individual belief systems shouldnt change that.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Of course it is. But you've got to remember that the bible isn't the sum total of "church teaching" -- it's only part of "church teaching" -- and not the oldest part. The church was around for 450 years before the canon was set.

No, the texts don't explicitly say, "Jesus is God." But it is implied. Take a look, for example, at the gospel of Luke. The birth narrative is a blatant plagiarism of the miraculous birth of Augustus (who was seen as divine).

Also, the very fact that Jesus was able to effect resurrection is a HUGE tip-off that the gospel writers saw him as Divine (or God), for only God is immortal and can effect resurrection.

Would that mean that the Church defines the nature of God?

David1967

Premium Member
What is the difference. Youre saying they deecribe god but never defined him. Who historically defined god if not the Church?
Hy Carlita. I dont believe IMHO that It is possible for us to define God as He is an eternal being. The best a person can do is try to describe aspects of God that we see revealed in the world around or read in our holy books. And the fact that we have so many religions is evidence to this. Again, this is just an opinion. :)

Tumah

Veteran Member
I thought of this after coming home from skating. Don't know why.

:boom:All three religions JCM respectively came from and worship the God of Abraham; yet, it only seems that some Christians think otherwise. Why?

1. There is only one Creator

All JCM believes this.

Muslim: http://www.patheos.com/Library/Islam/Origins/Beginnings
Judaism: http://www.bible.ca/trinity/trinity-oneness-unity-one-god.htm
Christianity: 21. John 17:3 — And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.

:leafwind:If all three relgions came from the God of Abraham and they all state there is one Creator and one God only, then it is true that they worship one Creator between them all.

2. The Creator-the Father has characteristics himself.

All JCM believe this

Muslim: http://www.aljazeerah.info/Islamic Editorials/2010/October/Allah, As He Described Himself in the Holy Quran By Hassan Ali El-Najjar.htm
Judaism http://www.jewfaq.org/m/g-d.htm:
Christianity: https://bible.org/seriespage/5-characteristics-god (This was kinda hard due to the trinity)

What is the catch that makes people think they are not all the same God? The trinity. An age old debate that will not be replayed here.

If Jesus were God, that would not change a thing. Because there would be still be God the Father. God the Son. and God the Holy Spirit.

:cherryblossom:All JCM believe God the Father. Why do some Christians believe otherwise?

In Hebrew, when you want a CD player, you ask for a "tape". In English when you want a tape, you are referring to a cassette or perhaps scotch tape. Even though the Hebrew word tape and the English word tape are related and sound the same, that doesn't mean they are describing the same exact thing.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Hy Carlita. I dont believe IMHO that It is possible for us to define God as He is an eternal being. The best a person can do is try to describe aspects of God that we see revealed in the world around or read in our holy books. And the fact that we have so many religions is evidence to this. Again, this is just an opinion. :)

I Understand. I come from different view. Everything and people let me know, in my opinion, made me find God is (cant say it nicely) was created as man's attempt to understand the unknown. It gets extreme to define that mystery as a being. Odd, to say the least.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
In Hebrew, when you want a CD player, you ask for a "tape". In English when you want a tape, you are referring to a cassette or perhaps scotch tape. Even though the Hebrew word tape and the English word tape are related and sound the same, that doesn't mean they are describing the same exact thing.

In context, it does. Excluding "Christ is god" believers. To say god has more than one meaning in abrahamic faith contradicts the claim in all three faiths that there is one god. Description of this god, though, doesnt change his nature a part from the description.

Kind like saying tape. In context, both hebrew and english mean the same object (say scotch) but because of language and culatural differences, we say they are different objects when its just one.

Tumah

Veteran Member
In context, it does. Excluding "Christ is god" believers. To say god has more than one meaning in abrahamic faith contradicts the claim in all three faiths that there is one god. Description of this god, though, doesnt change his nature a part from the description.

Kind like saying tape. In context, both hebrew and english mean the same object (say scotch) but because of language and culatural differences, we say they are different objects when its just one.
I don't see how what you are claiming follows. I say G-d is X, Christians say G-d is Y and Muslims say G-d is Z, but G-d is really only one of those and two people are mistaken.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
But
I don't see how what you are claiming follows. I say G-d is X, Christians say G-d is Y and Muslims say G-d is Z, but G-d is really only one of those and two people are mistaken.
but there is only one creator unless he exists Only by each religions definition of him?

Tumah

Veteran Member
But

but there is only one creator unless he exists Only by each religions definition of him?
Look, let's say Mr. A believes you're a man, Mr. B believes your a female, and Mr. C believes you're a robot. Only one of their beliefs are accurate even though they are all talking about you. That means two of them are not relating to you correctly.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Look, let's say Mr. A believes you're a man, Mr. B believes your a female, and Mr. C believes you're a robot. Only one of their beliefs are accurate even though they are all talking about you. That means two of them are not relating to you correctly.

I understand. My understanding is no matter what each person and robot thinks I am, that doesnt change me. Im sure all three at least agree I am a human.

In other words, say that a Creator exist. His nature does not change by how "we" define him. (My gender isnt influenced by what each "person" says I am). All three religions say that this One Creator is the Creator of Abraham. How can each sacred text define a being who existed before the texts where written?

People dont define god. Thats why he is the same for all three. There is only one creator a part from each persons indivisual definitions.

Tumah

Veteran Member
I understand. My understanding is no matter what each person and robot thinks I am, that doesnt change me. Im sure all three at least agree I am a human.

In other words, say that a Creator exist. His nature does not change by how "we" define him. (My gender isnt influenced by what each "person" says I am). All three religions say that this One Creator is the Creator of Abraham. How can each sacred text define a being who existed before the texts where written?

People dont define god. Thats why he is the same for all three. There is only one creator a part from each persons indivisual definitions.
right, it doesn't change you, but it will decide who is accurately understanding you and who isn't.

Tumah

Veteran Member
Id agree but can you rephrase that?
I can say, if three different people have three different beliefs about your nature and only one of the beliefs accurate portray your true nature, than two people are mistaken about you.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I can say, if three different people have three different beliefs about your nature and only one of the beliefs accurate portray your true nature, than two people are mistaken about you.

That is, of course, assuming one person is correct and the others arent. Since all three are not my faith, I can only speak objectively: looking at all three beliefs without chosing one over the other. When I do that, I hear all three claim One Godbof Abraham. If I am not mistaken, regardless of each religion's description, Id asume there would always be one god. All three, of course, disagree with each other about its nature. Which is unfortunate, because all comes down to this: One God; One Creator.

If I were Christian, Jew, or Muslim, I would agree with you. Since I am not, I hear arguments of three different beliefs over one creator/God of Abraham.

It puzzles me only when one religion says they are correct and all others false. Odd. I understand. We come from different understandings.

Last edited:

james2ko

I don't think it's a matter of "who" they worship. For they all do seemingly worship the "same" Creator. God is much more concerned about "how" He is worshiped. In Joh 4:20-24, Christ told the Samaritan woman, who worshiped the same God of Abraham as the Jews, that she did not really know what her people worshiped and that God's "true" worshipers would worship Him in truth. From this we can conclude there may be different groups who worship the same God, but in "untruth".